Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING! (Read 35192 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Re: ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING!
Reply #70 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
See - this is exactly why I posted this on the freebies as a play-test experiment. It's also somewhere between a "House Rule" and and official "V&V rule". Today, it is still closer to a house rule, but I digress.

The short answer is... I don't know! Roll Eyes

I shall have to re-read my V&V library an see what is in the legacy works. There are a couple of questions to answer:

1: How do characters combine such powers?
2: How specific would the powers have to be? Gorillasaurus is unique in that he is a reptilian-simian mutation, but Mega-rat may just be a rat, and Hyper-gator might just be a big alligator, meaning they might be controlled.

Let me do some reading and pondering.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #71 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
You can introduce "combined powers" to V&V.  I saw this concept in the Immortal Rules for Dungeons and Dragons (player's guide, page 6):

"Ability scores of cooperating Immortals may be added together for purposes of making a check. What one Immortal may find almost impossible, two or three may consider easy when working together"

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #72 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:41pm:
You can introduce "combined powers" to V&V.  I saw this concept in the Immortal Rules for Dungeons and Dragons (player's guide, page 6):

"Ability scores of cooperating Immortals may be added together for purposes of making a check. What one Immortal may find almost impossible, two or three may consider easy when working together"

Yes... I can, but I won't.
I really think this is one of those times when I must pass the burden to the GM. A character can still control twice as many HP of flora or fauna as his own HP. So if you can get a BUNCH of people together with "Avian" control, they may be able to control Mega-Goose. It's up to the GM whether they can control an RBT that is part plant, part rat, or lizard/mammal, or whatever combination.

There may or may not be a roll involved to control said critter - depends on whether or not is is under the control of some other entity.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #73 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm:
Yes... I can, but I won't.

Considering that you're introducing a new type of opponent that *requires* teamwork, I would think that it would be perfectly reasonable for you to at least make some suggestions on how to combine powers.  In fact, I think it's unreasonable for you not to.

combined.JPG ( 72 KB | 6 Downloads )
combined.JPG
combined3.JPG ( 102 KB | 8 Downloads )
combined3.JPG

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #74 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
The heart of the issue is that I cannot anticipate every possibility. Not only is it impossible to predict every combination of creatures that might make up a particular RBT it i snot possible for me to anticipate every combination and variation of Animal/Plant control a given group of characters may have. For that matter, I cant predict the other powers or weaknesses a given character with Animal/Plant Control may have, or what their effects may be.

Part of the problem is actually demonstrated in the image you posted. How does Professor X tap into Magneto's mind to power his own mental abilities? It seems to be some type of absorption that adds to his mental powers, and there really is no way I or really any game writer can anticipate this power combination.

That's why a great GM is vital for good V&V gaming.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #75 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Power stunts from inventing points can do this.   And if its two people, they can use half of a point from one, half from the other ( or other fractions if its more than two...).   

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #76 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:52pm:
Power stunts from inventing points can do this.   And if its two people, they can use half of a point from one, half from the other ( or other fractions if its more than two...).

This might simply be an addition/modification to the modifiers table presented earlier:
http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

It sounds workable to create a foundation, at least.  Dude, you have unleashed RBTs on the V&V universe!  We need to know how to stop them!   Cheesy

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #77 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I have had a Kaiju ( is that how you spell it?) attack my players every once in a while.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #78 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 7:26am
Print Post  
John - you spelled it correctly  Cheesy

Once in a while it's fun to run an adventure the heroes can't actually "win" (but use sparingly).

Display Name - It's not always about stopping an RBT. Sometimes its about surviving. How do you stop a tornado or hurricane or earthquake? Sometimes all you get out of the adventure is some charisma points for saving people who are in the path of the unstoppable monster, and for helping rescue and clean-up after the RBT has past. Sometimes all the character will get is "bonus experience" only. Sometimes an RBT it's just a break from chasing-fighting-capturing bad guys.

Were I to write a specific RBT adventure, I would put a bit more detail into it. Give him some weaknesses, explain in some detail the best ways of stopping the creature, or maybe gave some "mad scientist" create a device that can destroy the RBT in one shot, but with grave consequences. But for a general rule, the details must be left open.

I don't think the multiplier tables are needed here. This is simply Animal/Plant control where a character can control up to twice his HP in critter/plant HP (unless it is a device). If you and your friends with A/P control have enough HP to control the critter, and the GM allows you to combine powers (assuming that the RBT's base animal is actually the animal controlled by all of the characters involved), then its not that hard to see this method working. What are the odds that two or more characters in one party will all have "Animal Control: Apes"?

The multipliers are more to adjust effective range, modify rolls to detect hidden RBT's (or things hiding from RBT's), and to address the special issues associated with Death Touch, Paralysis Ray, Gravity Control, and Revivication.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:58am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #79 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Cool!  So will you release this adventure with the ruleset?  Maybe a "sample mini-adventure" kind of thing?  Or are you doing a full-scale adventure?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #80 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
...Something like that...

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #81 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Just to let ya'll know, the Freebie "Attack of the Really Big Thing" has been removed from the FGU site.
Thanks to the help I received from you'se guys, I am confident enough in the guidelines to include them in a couple of adventures (already in work). Also, due to input from you'se guys the current guidelines are not well-represented by the file that was on the FGU page.

Thank-you all very much for your input, I really appreciate the help.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:17am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #82 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:16am:
Just to let ya'll know, the Freebie "Attack of the Really Big Thing" has been removed from the FGU site.
Thanks to the help I received from you'se guys, I am confident enough in the guidelines to include them in a couple of adventures (already in work). Also, due to input from you'se guys the current guidelines are not well-represented by the file that was on the FGU page.

Thank-you all very much for your input, I really appreciate the help.  Smiley

Bumpdates requested!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #83 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
So, I admit to totally over-complicating this. The rules are really mostly there in the V&V core rules, you just need to extend the size/wt table and add some powers to address the horrid AGL penalties for a big critter/mecha. But I do thank y'all for looking at the experiment. It was also very nice of Scott to indulge me a little.

For my next trick, I'll see what I can do with the rules as they are. Maybe I'll post a plus-sized-critter/character here for "Peer Review" Smiley I mean... How would ya'll do Galactus?

Machines (star ships, giant piloted robots, etc...) are actually much easier than big critters, since they can just be made up ('cause it's a comic book game).  Big critters have to follow some rules. If I had some more players around here, I could test stuff a lot faster... [violin music].

Still pondering Super Sentai teams (multiple entities that combine into a single big entity more powerful than the sum of its parts).
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2014 at 3:54pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #84 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I think the huge Agility minus is the biggest problem (from my view).

In the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game, they have large-scale menaces, but they don't suffer any corresponding lack of ability to take actions (lack of Agility).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #85 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Didn't we discuss Mutant/Body power, No negative agility modifier at some point?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #86 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 6:28pm:
I think the huge Agility minus is the biggest problem (from my view).

I agree.  Keep reading... Smiley

Hammer wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 11:54pm:
Didn't we discuss Mutant/Body power, No negative agility modifier at some point?

Yes we did. For some RBT's this is "okay". But for others "Body Power", "Mutant Power", maybe "Gravity Control", "Flight", or "TK"  - or even "Heightened Agility". So if I do create something with a "Really Big Thing" in it, I'll have to address the AGL issue in a way that fits the "thing", as well as address “Death Touch”, “Gravity Control”, “Paralysis Ray”, and “Revivication”.

The AGL issue also comes up with things like Ranged and Muscle-powered weapons. Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns (LOL! just pictured Godzilla with a Remington 12 ga), Bows, Boomerangs, and thrown melee weapons all use AGL as the basis for their range. Granted, all attack ranges are multiplied by the Height Factor, but if your creature has an AGL of "0", the total range for any AGL-based attack is nothin'. So a means to address this is definitely required.   

Attack damage scales "Area of Effect" - think Godzilla's "Flame Breath" or how many people he can mash with a single smack.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #87 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:17am
Print Post  
A Question...

What about attacking like.. a Destroyer Naval vessel or say and aircraft Carrier?  There are non-mecha 'giant-robot' vehicles that are RBT's...

Do you just figure out discrete components on the vehicle to destroy.. Palladium ROBOTECH style.. or does it get really big modifiers to be easily hit and weight multipliers to increase its weight an thus hit points {Vehicles have 1 hit point per 50lbs of weight; 8.6 Vehicles}.

{Examples:}
“Von Stengle”:
– Airship ‘Arcano-Steamtech’ = WT: 25,000lbs, Pass: 100, Cargo CAP: 21,000, Speed: 160mph,
Hit Points:  125di/500de
Decks {1”}: SR5;  Hull {6”}: SR15/cu ft
4x Pylons: SR=15/per 1’ft
4x Drive Pods: ‘prop’ 5di/10de, ‘engine’ 10di/20de ‘-20mph’
4x Lift Rotor: 15di/30de
* Uhrwerken Control = 1,000lbs {FF 75pts} 10di//20de; 
* Lift Control = 6,000lbs, 40di/120de {ADR60}–Ship steel SR15{11 off}
* Boiler = 5 tons, 50di/200de {ADR 75}
* Cloaking Device = Radar, EM Detection, Audio & Visual
* Coal Bin = 2 Tons
- Conversion Cannon = 1mile, 45^deg arc, +15 to hit, (per “medium nuclear bomb") Dam rad ½ mile, 2d100 dam; 4,000lbs, 20di/80de
- 4x Lightning Cannon = 150”, 180^deg arc, Dam 1d20 {As Lightning Control}

The Flying Dutchess:
- prototype “Power-Sail” Yacht = Wt: 16,000lbs, Pass: 1+6, Cargo CAP: 8,000lbs, Speed: 120mph {Air} / 20 {water}
Hit Points:  80di/320de
- 2x Vibratory Cannon = 60”, turret, 2d8 dam per cannon (both may be fi red at same time), 10% chance that a special attack to do so will destroy target completely.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 8:46am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #88 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
My thinking was that the ships are kind of like buildings (and you left out the ships from "Department 88", for shame). They have reached a size where you don't damage the whole thing, you damage parts. V&V is not a rigid system, so anything like this requires GMery. I looked at the legacy data from DNAgents, Death Duel with the Destroyers, Battle Above the Earth and others I can't remember off the top of my head. From the Deeps of Space used a die roll system to allocate damage.
I didn't want things to be like Battletech where you roll to hit, roll damage, roll to see where the damage went, then roll to see the effect of the damage. That's great for Battletech, but dreadful for V&V.
It also has to do with the "spirit" of the ship. The "Dutchess" really is more of a "vehicle" for Marie and her crew - an expensive, Italian vehicle... The "Von Stengle", however, is more of a location where a good chunk of adventuring takes place. It may move, but it's still really a "Location" - like a floating dungeon. If you wanted to, you could add up all the hit points and structural points for the entire ship, and battle it as a "Vehicle".
Really big Critters, of course, work mostly like normal-sized critters. Even a really big Robot (not piloted or remotely controlled) could be treated like a critter with "Robotic Body". Once you put a crew in the machine, however, it functions more like a location.

For your Aircraft Carrier, well... would you really have to destroy all of it's Hits to disable? Or would a few big holes do the job? Or setting off the ammo magazine? Or destroying the engine/reactor?

Thankfully, I have avoided making any real sense here, but that's okay.
V&V lacks a lot of the rigidity of newer systems, which means it works better for Comic Book Role Play (because comics are pretty out there). I have struggled with trying to pin things down too much in this system, it works better if you just relax and enjoy.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 6:48pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #89 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Ah. ok... the reason for this question is for theme.. take for example STAR TREK.  The Enterprise is arguably a location AND a vehicle.  The Question becomes one of scale... it make sense that a man-sized target can't do as much damage to the 'location' "Enterprise" damaging specific components of the location "Enterprise"... but another starship... say the "Excelsior" should be able to damage the 'Vehicle' Enterprise and not just specific components.

How would you suggest adjudicating this situation?

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #90 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 7:24am
Print Post  
I would go with the guidelines from "From the Deeps of Space" where a die roll is used to specify a hit location. Of course, you could just go with total wt/50 = Hits to Destroy and HtoD/4= Hits to disable.

You mentioned the USS Enterprise, that's not a bad place to start. NCC-1701 was/will be about 300 ft long (or 60"). you would need a 5 foot-long table just for the Enterprise's counter. Obviously, we would want to change scales a bit for Ship to Ship combat. So if we make the Enterprise counter about 2" long, then one inch equals 150 feet - and all the game measurements would have to change as well. At that scale we can't even see "Captain Impressive" or even "Large Lass" - but I digress. At this scale, simply using the ships' HtDest, and HtDis could work just fine. As a GM running such a game, I would be really tempted to write down a few damage thresholds. At say 50% HtDis, there is a chance of Crew Loss, or Warp Core failure, or Phaser failure - just to make it a bit more interesting. As is mentioned in the V&V Revised Rules, you can usually take a vehicle out of action without totally destroying it.

If you wanna go really nuts... ponder "Living Ships". Now that would be interesting.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #91 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Yeah, thanks for the advice... I'm actually just about to run "From the Deeps of Space" for my New Guardians party... so I was looking for a little more advice on how to handle character to ship and ship to ship space battles.

Though you have made me wonder... if anyone has ever fully deck-planned out the Enterprise?  A five foot multi-layered map of its decks would be totally awesome for a game! lol!
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2014 at 8:51am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #92 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
The Enterprise? NCC 1707?

Look Here: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/enterprise-deck-plans.php

It's not measured, but with a little wokr, you'll be able to use it for V&V.

Enjoy.

And Star Trek has been featured in several Comic Books (and Manga) - so it's totally V&V fodder Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(comics)

Now get out there and go all Captain Kirk on some aliens.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #93 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
COOL!  Thx! Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #94 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
I was asked by a member here why I was refusing to release "Attack of the Really Big Thing". As it turns out, I was not really happy with the way it turned out. But now I figure, "what the heck". Since he asked, I'll post it so any interested party can read/use/criticize/destroy as they see fit.

This is a text-only version - the version with art is too large to post here.
This is also a revised version and includes some stuff I learned from the critiques I received here.
Be advised, it is still a draft - there are some typos and spelling errors in there.

I can post the original (text-only) version also if you all so request.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2015 at 9:24am by Ironnerd »  

RBT_002.docx ( 37 KB | 17 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #95 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Yay!  Thanks!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #96 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I think there's real genius in the RBT rules. They might be covered somewhat in the original rules with some degree of work, but that is the beauty of them. In being an excellent advanced set of rules, even if anyone else might want to tweak them, they provide a very informative addition to a GMs arsenal, and allow for two GMs who don't know each other to have a point of reference and agreement on something they might see very differently otherwise. Unsolicited $.02  Smiley

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #97 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:56pm:
Yay!  Thanks!

No problem. Sorry for all the colors, it's how I do rough work.
The existing rules for size change have the topic kinda covered, it's one of those times it's hinted at but not explicit. What i added just seemed as logical as possible while staying in the spirit of the rules.

I don't mind feedback, so feel free to find errors in the guidelines (not rules, just some guidelines).

Enjoy.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #98 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I'm digging some of the rules ideas.  I particularly like the increased PR requirement for certain attacks, as well as the "ganging up" bit. 
We're just about to start a campaign, and one of the adventures I have is the appearance of "Gordonzilla" and hapless scientist irradiated into a giant shark like Kaiju. 
His low Agility gives HUGE negatives to hit, even after offsetting them with Natural Weaponry.  I'm planning on a house rule that size change grants a bonus to hit, on Hand to Hand only, equal to the Height Factor.  It's harder to dodge a ten foot wide fist.  Just ask Mister Fantastic.  (There won't be a size penalty for size change smaller).

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #99 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Yay, Phrennzy!  I'm glad you got them in time!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #100 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Giving a bonus equal to the Height Factor is actually quite brilliant!  It's so simple and elegant.  Nicely done!  Cool

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #101 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Thank-you, guys. I appreciate the high praise.

But the thanks go to Display Name for making me post it Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:08pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #102 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 4:25pm:
Giving a bonus equal to the Height Factor is actually quite brilliant!  It's so simple and elegant.  Nicely done!  Cool

That is very high praise coming from you.  Thanks very much!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #103 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 1:47pm:

We're just about to start a campaign, and one of the adventures I have is the appearance of "Gordonzilla" and hapless scientist irradiated into a giant shark like Kaiju. 

Please, Phrennzy! Tell me you have ART for this!!!   Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:47am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #104 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:47am:
Please, Phrennzy! Tell me you have ART for this!!!   Cheesy Cheesy

Of course.  God bless the artists around the world for putting their work online.  This picture is easily worth my 1000 words.

"Don't hurt him, he's my husband!" Gordon's wife cries from the streets below as the heroes engage.  Can they find a way to stop such a behemoth?  Will Gordon's co-worker be of assistance?  Or will Gordonzilla need to be slain to be stopped?

Gordonzilla.jpg ( 71 KB | 8 Downloads )
Gordonzilla.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools

>