Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wonder Boy (Read 3122 times)
Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Wonder Boy
Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Way back in the early nineties, a friend wanted to try his hand at being a V&V GM.  More than that, he wanted to make a classic four-color type game, based on vintage Jack Kirby comics.  I've always been a fan of Kirby and those other early Silver Age writer/artists, so I was stoked about the game.

The character I made was a teenaged kid named Wonder Boy.  Through a complete accident of die rolls, he actually ended up with a mix of powers that made him very Kryptonian in nature, which suited me fine.  Superman has always been my favorite hero.

After only a few months of playing, however, the game sort of fizzled out.  It wasn't until around 2000 that I resurrected Wonder Boy, this time for a Champions-based fan fic site called Titans of Tomorrow.  I wrote about five stories for that site, centered around what would happen if a silver age superhero was suddenly transported to the future.

Those stories ended up lost, but I've always liked the idea.  So, as part of my Danger Unlimited homebrew, I decided to write a few stories here and there, with the first set dedicated to Wonder Boy.

But first, I want to introduce the hero himself:

Wonder Boy

Identity: Andrew Marko
Side: Good                  Sex: Male            Height: 5'9”            Weight: 178 lb.
Level: 5                                    Experience:
Powers/Abilities/Equipment:
Mutant Physiology: Andy benefits from genetic manipulation, giving him the following increased abilities:
1. Heightened Strength +30
2. Heightened Agility +10
3. Heightened Endurance: +10
Heightened Speed: +520” to ground and flying movement, +17 initiative.
Heightened Senses: Nightvision, x10 telescopic vision, ultrasonic and x10 telescopic hearing, scent tracking.
Flight: Maximum speed is (SxE) mph, PR = 1 per hour of flight.
Disintegration Ray: Destructive eyebeams have a range of S”, base 2d8 damage, PR = 5 per attack.
Regeneration: Heals his full rate per turn.  Cannot regenerate damage caused by electricity/lightning.

Basic Hits: 4                              Strength: 47
Endurance: 25                              Intelligence: 15
Agility: 24                                    Charisma: 18
Hit Mod: (3.4)(3)(1.2)(2.5) = 30.6            Hit Points: (122)
Damage Mod: +5                              Healing: 2.8
Accuracy: +5                              Power: (111)
Movement: 616”/61” ground, 1175” (267 mph)/117” flying, hyper-flight at mach 26.7
Carrying Capacity: 9037 lb.                  Basic HTH: 2d10
Det. Hidden:(12)%                        Det. Danger:(16)%
Inventing: (45)%                              Inventing Points: 7.5
Languages: English, German
Knowledge Areas: HTH Combat Training, History, Deduction

Background: The son of Nazi scientist turned western sympathizer Dr. Emil Fantastisch (also known as Dr. Fantastic), Andrew Marko was born and raised in Argentina.  Even from an early age, Andy's powerful gifts were apparent.  He was stronger, faster and tougher than those around him.  By the age of fourteen, he had discovered and mastered his ability to fly and emit incredibly destructive beams from his eyes.
     When the superheroes known as the Danger Corps made themselves known in the summer of 1961, Andy's father moved himself and his son to New York.  In January of 1962, at the age of 16, Wonder Boy made his debut against the minions of the supposed sorcerer Socothbenoth, who would become Andy's nemesis over the following years.
     From 1962 to 1965, Wonder Boy was the poster boy for young, hip, charismatic heroes.  Especially after the Danger Corps moved to Danger Mountain in 1964, Wonder Boy enjoyed the celebrity of being one of New York's premier superheroes.  Fighting Socothbenoth, the Circus of Crime, Huntress and the Brute, among others, kept him in the limelight. 
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:16pm by Dr. Dave »  

Describe the universe.  Give three examples.

IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Story #1
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
This story takes place at the height of Wonder Boy's career, which began in 1962 when he was 16 and continued until March of 1965, a little over three years, when he mysteriously vanished and was presumed dead.

The backdrop for the story is that, while costumed vigilantes have been in existence since the 1920s, "true" superhuman ability did not appear to exist until the appearance of the Danger Corps in 1961.  Thus, at the time this story takes place, superheroes have only been around for about four years and the total number of superhumans could be counted on three or four hands.

The appearance and actions of superheroes has resulted in as much fear concerning their abilities as graciousness for those these heroes have saved.  In order to make sense of the superhuman phenomenon, the US Senate has formed the Senate Subcommittee to Investigate Superhumans, headed by a very ambitious and ruthless senator, Mr. Matthew McHale, R-Kansas.

And now the tale . . . .

WBstory1.doc ( 94 KB | 3 Downloads )

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Wonder Boy
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
With his power set, he sounds like a young superboy.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 3:16am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 20th, 2014 at 12:16pm:
With his power set, he sounds like a young superboy.

That both was and was not intended.  If I recall correctly, the original powers I rolled up for the character were Animal/Plant Powers (mammal), Heightened Speed, Heightened Senses, Disintegration, and Flight.  The first concept I came up with was a sort of permanent hybrid/human creature with "disintegrating fire" breath.  But as I played around with the powers, and given my longtime love of Superman, the Wonder Boy concept emerged.

Later, when I re-imagined the character, I added in Regeneration as a way to counter the lack of any other protective power (Invulnerability, Armor, etc.).

I have always claimed I never try to create original ideas; I only have original takes on established conventions.  So, yeah, Wonder Boy was an obvious rip off of Superman/Superboy.  I never tried to hide that.  Besides, my personal playing style lends itself to a frontline fighter type.  Every game I play, I am usually that kind of character.

Anyway, what did you think of the story?  I'm interested in any kind of feedback.

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Doc Dave, Story sounds good so far like the write up Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
You have any artwork for Wonder Boy?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Thanks, Demented.  Working on the second part already.

dsumner, I don't currently have any art on Wonder Boy, but I've been thinking about it.  I'm a fair artist and have drawn up my characters in the past.  I was thinking about doing that for WB, possibly Monday or so.

When I do, I'll post it.

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

in heart of man

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:42am
Print Post  
That is Cool doc Dave hope to see the finished product Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 3:19am
Print Post  
I've been working on the next part of the story, changing ideas in mid-stream.  I hope to have it done pretty soon.  Not on hundred percent sure where it's going, but I have a bunch of basic ideas I want to incorporate.

As far as artwork, I did a quick work-up in pencil of Wonder Boy, but I want to pen it first before scanning it in.  Hopefully, I'll get that done tomorrow.

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

in heart of man

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Cool Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 12:42am
Print Post  
I wasn't too happy with the sketch I made the other night, so I did this one this evening.  It's been a while since I've done any freehand drawing, so apologies if anything looks off.  I've never been great at proportions.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2014 at 12:43am by Dr. Dave »  

WonderBoy2.jpg ( 44 KB | 3 Downloads )
WonderBoy2.jpg

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

in heart of man

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:37am
Print Post  
that look good better then i can do LOL Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Nice work, Dr. Dave! (and I just noticed that we can't call you "DD" as that could confuse you with Dr. Demented)  Smiley

IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Thanks, guys.  I may be inspired to post more drawings, especially of Wonder Boy in the modern age with his new name.

The story I'm still working on . . . .

IP Logged

Dr. Dave
Apprentice

Danger Unlimited

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Okay, the next part of the story is finished.  In this installment, Wonder Boy appears in the future, in March of 2014 to be exact, and is taken to the fictional Manhattan General hospital for treatment in their specialized metahuman wing.

But Wonder Boy's introduction to the future is a rocky one, thanks to the ruthless ambition of a government agent who is more concerned with the knowledge hidden away in the young superhero's mind than with helping to assimilate him into a world that has become radically changed since 1965 . . . .

WBstory2.doc ( 142 KB | 2 Downloads )

IP Logged

>