Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Vanguard adventures! (Read 22879 times)
iggy rock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Re: Vanguard adventures!
Reply #105 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 15th, 2010 at 2:16pm:
Hey, that's cool if you can get away without it!Most groups I've seen have functioned in somewhat of a paramilitary fashion, at least in regards to combat and quick decisions on the battlefield.If you can get away without it, more power to you!

One other note is that - especially with certain personalities - it can lead to some tremendous role-playing opportunities!

As much as I love Trek, I don't get into the whole military schpeal with superheroes. As for tremendous role-playing opportunities, I think you can have that with or without a given leader.

You already pointed out that you might have more than one leader depending on the situation. Why stop with two.

"Storm, you'll be the leader when it comes to aerial maneuvers and weather manipulation...

"Colossus, you'll be the leader when it comes to lifting heavy objects and acting like you're shy when you're really just kinda dull...

"Nightcrawler, you'll lead when we have to hide in the dark and make whoopy-cushion noises...

"Iceman, you are the leader of keeping the beer cold."

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #106 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 15th, 2010 at 2:16pm:
One other note is that - especially with certain personalities - it can lead to some tremendous role-playing opportunities!

True. So does the election of a leader.

Also, team leaders are such a quintessential comic book thing.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:47am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Natasha
Sidekick

V&V is Vunderful

Reply #107 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Our group is made of up friendly neighborhood anarchists. We don't need no stinkin' leader! Cool Cheesy

IP Logged

Super Soccer Mom
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #108 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:01pm:
Either way, all sheets are approved by the PCs at the end of the creation process.

Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:17am:
True. You never know how people will react. In my case, the player was unhappy about it, so I began to exit the secret weakness. Then he embraced it and was emailing me every day with his ideas on how cool it would be. Then before I could use it, he was against it again. His participation in the game was a little erratic to say the least.

How can a player approve his character sheet and have a secret weakness?

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #109 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Super Soccer Mom wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 8:12pm:
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:01pm:
Either way, all sheets are approved by the PCs at the end of the creation process.

Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:17am:
True. You never know how people will react. In my case, the player was unhappy about it, so I began to exit the secret weakness. Then he embraced it and was emailing me every day with his ideas on how cool it would be. Then before I could use it, he was against it again. His participation in the game was a little erratic to say the least.

How can a player approve his character sheet and have a secret weakness? 

The way i have always done it is to give the player hints to the weakness during gameplay

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Super Soccer Mom
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #110 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
That still doesn't get to my question to Doctor Foom: How can a player approve a character sheet if the weakness is only hinted at during gameplay? Unless, do you tell the player when they might have an additional weakness? Is that how it works? I'm still confused. I'm curious because it involves a situation affecting my family's game.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #111 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I can't answer for Dr Foom, but the Oni's current character the Dark Warrior a weakness that  he doesn't know.   He just took it in stride and is having fun figuring out what the hell it is.   I would like to think that he trust me not to just mess with him for the sake of messing with him.    But Oni likes the challenging character to role play.   So he is cool with it.  I wouldn't give a secret weakness to just anyone.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Super Soccer Mom
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #112 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:40pm:
I can't answer for Dr Foom, but the Oni's current character the Dark Warrior a weakness that  he doesn't know.   He just took it in stride and is having fun figuring out what the hell it is.   I would like to think that he trust me not to just mess with him for the sake of messing with him.    But Oni likes the challenging character to role play.   So he is cool with it.  I wouldn't give a secret weakness to just anyone.

Anyone named Dark Warrior is kind of asking for a secret weakness! But I was asking Foom because of his notes about approving a character sheet while not knowing a weakness. Not sure I follow how that works. I completely understand trusting a GM. Especially if the GM has earned that trust and doesn't say, forget/change/rearrange details, etc., or that new revelations don't contradict things already established. That kind of capriciousness can make it seem like the GM is screwing with the player on a whim in a way. Depends on the situation. It's hard having to be a referee in a case like that.

By the way John: I get the sense that you're a good GM. You seem to think through your House Rules and are very up front with your persepctive. You seem like a seasoned pro!
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:49pm by Super Soccer Mom »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #113 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Super Soccer Mom wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:47pm:
By the way John: I get the sense that you're a good GM. You seem to think through your House Rules and are very up front with your persepctive. You seem like a seasoned pro!

I got one person on my side, and your not even one of my players!    Can you PM my players and convince them now?
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:53pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Super Soccer Mom
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #114 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:53pm:
I got one person on my side, and your not even one of my players!    Can you PM my players and convince them now?

I only get asked to referee or sit in an play the part of NPCs for my own family's/friends game group! Smiley

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #115 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I have been playing Champions for a long time. have been unsuccessful in getting my players to go back to V&V. We us a free forum website for blue booking and some role playing between sessions. (we meet every other friday) This is the first time i have given any thought to pbem. I have been reading the posts for the game and have  to agree it does read like fan fiction. It rocks! If anyone is putting together another pbem let us know. I would love to try and i could play V&V again. i am a stay at home dad so my time is fairly open

Keep posting the game journals,it's like waiting on the next issue of a favorite comic to hit newstands

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #116 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:40pm:

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN HE HAS A SECRET WEAKNESS???!!!  Right now our poor friend Wally can go from a Crazed killing machine to a Blubbering baby depending on the situation. He has no clue what one of his powers can do. Anybody who wants to check his back round to see why he's a little off the Deep End can read The Dark Warrior Rebirth(shameless plug) from the beginning.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #117 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:53pm:
Super Soccer Mom wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:47pm:

No she may not!! Attacking poor Wally like that by saying he deserves a Secret weakness just because of his name. How typical, the poor guy does have Darkness Control and He is a Warrior so it fits. Hey we were 13 when he was created. Actually maybe I can use some maternal influence so PM away!!!! heh, heh.....

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #118 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I have been reading back issues of Vanguard when they fought Homicide for Hire.  The issues are absolutely fantastic!!!

I love the way you GMed the HoH team, so well done!! The Vanguard players were awesome as always.

I am still surprised that 1 turn per issue doesn't feel like it bogs down too slowly.  The pacing of these issues are great!

I read your earlier posting on how you changed the initiative to fit PBEM (stop Agility escalation).  Is there anything else you are thinking about the V&V combat turn that could be changed that would make it a better PBEM medium?

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #119 - May 7th, 2010 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:32am:
I have been reading back issues of Vanguard when they fought Homicide for Hire.The issues are absolutely fantastic!!!

I love the way you GMed the HoH team, so well done!! The Vanguard players were awesome as always.

That was a fun run. I like supervillain teams.

The Cougar wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:32am:
I am still surprised that 1 turn per issue doesn't feel like it bogs down too slowly.The pacing of these issues are great!

I read your earlier posting on how you changed the initiative to fit PBEM (stop Agility escalation).Is there anything else you are thinking about the V&V combat turn that could be changed that would make it a better PBEM medium?

No, but I'm open to suggestions. V&V isn't the best game for PBEM (which works especially well with non-combat, character stuff imho). I just need to play V&V in some way and I can't swing face to face schedule-wise.
So I'm happy to hear it's not dragging for you.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #120 - May 7th, 2010 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Still catching up on loading the site. New stuff:

-Our newest player character: Menagerie!
http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/search/label/character%20sheets

-Issue 109, which continues a bunch of solo adventures for our heroes:
http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2010/05/vanguard-issue-109-and-then-there-were.ht...

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #121 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Still digging out. Smiley
Issues 110 and 111 are up, continuing the solo adventures.

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2010/05/vanguard-issue-110-solo-stories-of.html
http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2010/05/vanguard-issue-111-astounding.html

Also, the players share who they wish could write and draw their character's comicbook:

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2010/05/vanguard-creative-teams.html

IP Logged

Carpenter
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #122 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I noticed someone named Gadget Girl on your thread. There have been a few posts about different ways of handling inventors in V&V. How are you handling those abilities with this unique character?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #123 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Hey Carpenter, thanks for the interest.
I try not to reveal powers and sheets of NPCs as a few players come to these boards. 

There was a thread on gadgets and inventing here that had some great ideas. Of course now I can't track it down.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:44pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #124 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:44pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Carpenter
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #125 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:42pm:
Hey Carpenter, thanks for the interest.
I try not to reveal powers and sheets of NPCs as a few players come to these boards.

Makes sense. I didn't know if you already had it written up as a power variation as part of your standard house rules. But I respect trade secrets. Gadget Girl seems like a fun character. Smiley

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #126 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks.
Issues 113 and 114 are up, and I'm finally caught up!

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2010/06/vanguard-issue-114-titanic-treasury-of.ht...

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #127 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
115 and 116 are up.

This was a different arc for me: every character had their own mini-series story that ran concurrent to each other. It let me explore some personal sub-plots, and ideas that didn't warrant the whole team getting involved.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #128 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Man, you guys are cranking through the issues!    Smiley

We just did #317, but that particular group started in late 1992!  About how many play sessions do you end up having per issue? (there's of course no right or wrong number, I'm just curious).  For ours it's often one session = one issue,  but occasionally we'll have two whole sessions fit into one issue.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #129 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
It's play by email, and I send out a new issue every two weeks on average.
The players get a week and a half to write replies and then I use the last half week to create the next issue.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #130 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:35pm:
It's play by email, and I send out a new issue every two weeks on average.
The players get a week and a half to write replies and then I use the last half week to create the next issue.

Makes sense.  You guys will pass us up before you know it!    Wink

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #131 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Well I don't know about that.

Has your campaign run uninterrupted all that time? That's incredible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools

>