Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) General Discussion (Read 108494 times)
The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Re: General Discussion
Reply #175 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Machinist is white

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #176 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 10:57pm:
OOC: Thunderbolt please alter your response. Anytime I use grey italics it has been to reflect an internal thought for Rampart. External communication will always be in blue and be bracketed with "quote" symbols.

Opps Sorry.. duh. My bad!  Its now Changed.  I  saw Dom's post almost a moment he posted it but refrained from posting to let others go first... already had an idea to break the ambush circle then.  Just thought I'd include your comment as we seemed to be working along the same ideas.. stupid me didn't think...silly that was thought script. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:08pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #177 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Okay

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #178 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Who has yet to reply?  I think everyone has at least once...

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #179 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Majestic hasn't replied for Ghost.

- Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #180 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
OOC: . . . as he tries to determines any weaknesses the 'robots' might have, Rampart looks over and sees the Ghost seemingly frozen in place. Nudging him into action,  "Don't sweat it kid. We got your back" Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:17pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #181 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I sent Dom a response (finally).  Sorry, guys.  I didn't realize he was wanting them sent privately, and I kept checking the thread and seeing that nothing was happening.

But you're pretty close, Ranger.  Ghost appears "white as a ghost" as he sees these big mechanoids approaching!  Tongue

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #182 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:20pm:
I sent Dom a response (finally).  Sorry, guys.  I didn't realize he was wanting them sent privately, and I kept checking the thread and seeing that nothing was happening.

But you're pretty close, Ranger.  Ghost appears "white as a ghost" as he sees these big mechanoids approaching!  Tongue

Dom wanted private declarations?  Thats not what I understod when I posted TB's actions...was I wrong?

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #183 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Perhaps not, but I was surprised that everyone was waiting on me.  I kept checking the forums, and after Power Chord's instructions to everyone I didn't see many posts.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #184 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I think it's because we had all pretty much all declared our actions earlier.

For myself I plan on following Power Chord's lead after I get Detect Weakness to work on them.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #185 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:53pm:
I think it's because we had all pretty much all declared our actions earlier.

For myself I plan on following Power Chord's lead after I get Detect Weakness to work on them.

Same here... he's currently tring to find out if there is a soft center to the robots indicating possible pilots.  TB only suggested that he had a plan.  But whatever Power Chord decides to do is what he'll follow.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #186 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Decision made. Smiley

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #187 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:05pm:
"This might not wooooooork!" as Diesel flies through the air!

[OOC: The armor does weigh something (I never figured out what) so that might lower your leftover CC a bit]

Yeah I looked through the rules and under Armor Type B {Technological}...

"The weight of the Device or item should be considered irrelevant, but this is left up to the individual character and gamemaster."

..I don't really agree with this either, I think a suit of powered armor should have a very specific weight to it...but that's me.

As for remaining capacity vs velocity.. as long as your armor does not weight more than 497lbs... your velocity category on the table for bonus damage won't change.

My biggest concern is the potential damage Diesel might take... technically you will take some of that velocity damage... or if you hit it right {yes you need to make an attack roll to strike with your hammer.. at least I think you do}... Diesel's Hammer will.

Now that will only be 2d8 damage vs its structural capacity and Diesel should get his armor to absorb some of it... depending on how much damage diesel inflicts with his Hammer on the swing... that could be a significant amount of damage...

Diesel w/Hammer = {1d12}HTH, + 1d6 "Big Freaking Hammer", +5 Damage Modifier, + 2d8 Velocity Damage!

ouch.

I would not want to be on the receiving end of that much pain!  But some of it may be suffered by the hammer if Diesel hits well enough {+5 hit with hammer} OR Diesel will suffer it if Thunderbolt aimed him improperly {+7 hit... with Diesel}.

Any damage should be blunt and impact damage.  The description of Magnetic Control - 'manipulate metallic objects', if that is the only kind of damage diesel or his hammer suffers - Thunderbolt should be able to repair it with a little direction from Diesel and some time.  Its actually better in the fact that Diesel is not a super high-tech, electronic-motor, servo-powered armor but solid - piston/hydraulic, diesel engine powered mechanical suit.  Should make it Damn sturdy against impacts like this!

Something to consider Diesel... your flame thrower is the Flame Power... you know with a little Role-Playing innovation and some ideas that Thunderbolt was going to suggest - you could get the full use of that Flame Power and get Diesel to fly and produce a 'steam' / flame aura about himself as potential new powers!  Not a major change either - just learning new ways to use powers you 'technically' already have.  It of course would still cost charges to use them but just thinking of a Diesel rocketing through the air on a tail of fire coming on on some bad guy with his hammer ready for a 'death from above'... gives me goosebumps... hehe! Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2012 at 3:18pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #188 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Way too complex a move for a group of individuals who haven't had a chance to work on a "playbook" in my opinion.  I think we miss some good role-playing by assuming guys who have barely shaken hands, let alone developed a real "trust", can pull a maneuver like this.

Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #189 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
FWIW me and my group have made rules for both the weight of armor and for making a ramming attack.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #190 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
@ Ranger:  Perhaps, but Thunderbolt has already established he fights unconventionally for a basic energy projector!  The first 'team' battle that Thunderbolt, Slik Slander and Stalker had with Anvil, Razor and Haywire... Thunderbolt did just this kind of coordination to great effect.  The bad guys, though professional killers, could not get the better of us and were fought just a little beyond a stalemate.  We inflicted damage on them even though we never took a single hit nor worked as a team together before.

The reason why I'm doing this is to showcase one of the aspects of Thunderbolt's powers that is ...kinda hard to actually quantify in game.  His electric control actually makes him think faster than those around him... not smarter but ..somewhat more creative perhaps... he analyzes things really quickly and comes up with strategies that are... usually unexpected and definitely unconventional.

Does this make him a tactical genius?  No... not so much that just unpredictable.  Not chaotic, just VERY innovative... that is a power that is hard to actually showcase.

As for team familiarity and trust hindering our actions... since none of us is making the combat rolls I just leave it up to Dominic and trust to him to apply whatever 'unfamiliarity' modifiers he deems are appropriate after totaling my bonuses.

I'm sure he will roll the dice and script the results to be fair and cinematic as needed...

This is a Comic book.. we should be doing comic book things! lol! Smiley

@ Majestic:  I've been looking for a passing-strike or ramming maneuver int he rules and not found one as yet.  I just assumed it would be a straight-on collision effect... But any suggestions would be helpful! Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:56pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #191 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:16pm:
I think we miss some good role-playing by assuming guys who have barely shaken hands, let alone developed a real "trust", can pull a maneuver like this.

Just my two cents.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
  1. From his background, Diesel is a friendly unassuming guy (unless you insult his intelligence which was of course the real reason he got mad at Machinist!) who doesn't have any real clue what superheroes do or don't really do.
  2. He's pretty confident that his armor can take the hit.
  3. In his only other superhero battle, Diesel hurled Slik Slander in a similar fashion, so why not have someone return the favor?

Not that any of your characters would actually know all that, but there it is!
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:07pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #192 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar, Yes our characters don't know this, but that also allows for some great role-playing opportunities. Just my 2 cents. Smiley

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #193 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Way too complex a move for a group of individuals who haven't had a chance to work on a "playbook" in my opinion.  I think we miss some good role-playing by assuming guys who have barely shaken hands, let alone developed a real "trust", can pull a maneuver like this.

Just my two cents.

Skyhawk would be interested in working on a playbook.  Smiley

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #194 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:33pm:

Just my two cents.

Skyhawk would be interested in working on a playbook.  Smiley

LOL! So would Thunderbolt! Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #195 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:06pm:
I think we miss some good role-playing by assuming guys who have barely shaken hands, let alone developed a real "trust", can pull a maneuver like this.

Just my two cents.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
  1. From his background, Diesel is a friendly unassuming guy (unless you insult his intelligence which was of course the real reason he got mad at Machinist!) who doesn't have any real clue what superheroes do or don't really do.
  2. He's pretty confident that his armor can take the hit.
  3. In his only other superhero battle, Diesel hurled Slik Slander in a similar fashion, so why not have someone return the favor?

Not that any of your characters would actually know all that, but there it is!

Hmmm... just noticed something.

If Diesel were to weigh with his Powered Suit's weight added no more than 481lbs... TB would actally be hitting more accurately with him and for more damage [+2hit, +3d8 damage!]

The other side of velocity damage is the object weight as well!  At 122" Velocity with no more weight than 481lbs - the impact damage and I can only guess 'ease of applicable force' {accuracy} is better!  lol!

TB - "Quick Diesel... gain some weight!" Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #196 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Dude Smiley Quit mini-maxing and go enjoy the last little bit of nice weather were having in Indiana. Smiley

Out at the park with my dog after church. It's beautiful today

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #197 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Dom, I will be on travel for work this week. So I wont be checking at lunch like I usually do. I am not sure how easy internet will be able to use in the Hotel and I don't have a smart phone.

So I most likely will not post until next weekend. Looking forward to seeing what the Podbots do when I get back.

- Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #198 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Guys, just a heads up that I talked to Dom a few days ago and he's been slammed at work (working massively long days).

@Thunderbolt: Here's the "ramming" rules we came up with (and have used successfully for years):

Ramming (p. 28)
When one character (or object) rams or smashes into another, it will typically cause damage to both combatants.  This can be done by a character (or vehicle) travelling (running, driving, flying, swimming, etc.) at least 2" towards the target and moving at a speed of at least 40" per turn.  If one object takes knock-back due to the impact (which would often happen to the stationary object), then the ramming character takes only ½ damage.  Roll damage inflicted separately for each object involved (rather than once for both), and apply all applicable defenses as normal (note that it is possible for one character to hit another's defense and still take damage).  Ramming does not require a special roll to hit, provided both of the targets are approximately the same size.  The GM may apply a bonus (or subtraction) of 5-10 for a smaller object attempting to run into a significantly larger target, or vice versa.  Additionally, a large object might require a special attack to strike a much smaller target, and a smaller object might not require a special attack to hit a specific area on a very large target.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #199 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Cool!  Nice ruling... that should work well.  Hopefully the Pod-bots are not so heavy that Diesel impacting them will move them.  Half-damage he should easily be able to absorb... depending upon how tough the bots are.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #200 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been working 70+ hour work weeks, for the past two weeks, and had a three day long National Guard drill (all day Fri, Sat, Sun), and back to work this morning (I'm scheduled for 72hrs this week, plus Scared Straight), so my schedule has been tight. I'll post my reply on either Wed or Thurs, as those are the only days where I'll really have a chance to do it.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #201 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Anything built with the Robotics power will be notoriously heavy, thus hard to move. I assume that would result in Diesel also taking full damage from the impact? They also are generally very strong.

In essence you  could be fighting the equivilant of a Diesel with each one. Also they don't make consciousness rolls. Island of Doctor Apocolypse ring a bell with anyone?

If they are built using the Robotics rule I'd suggest teams. Two or even three players, depending on damage potential, for each robot. Assuming Diesel is going to still be "in play".

Power Chord and Ghost? Not sure his attack strength?
SkyHawk and Machinist? Force Projector do damage?
Diesel and Thunderbolt or Rampart.

I say "or Rampart" because I think Thunderbolt "might" be best on his own.  If TB can magnetically grab one or two and fly at top speed into the atmosphere ... dropping them into a cornfield should make a nice little impact crater. I'm more than willing to have Rampart do it but unless they have a special Defense Ramps is less likely to hit even after having used Weakness Detection.

That's my two tactical cents.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012 at 11:22pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #202 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:05am
Print Post  
This is All supposition on my part but this is what I see... tactical-wise and indeed a bit meta story-wise.

Dom sent 12 targets after us, none of them is different in any particular way from the others... none 'obviously' their leader, and none of them has identified themselves as anything particularly special or even named whatever organization they all represent.

In comic-books such an introduction might indicate a squad of 'mooks', general trash thugs that the heroes are supposed to thrash pretty handily.  None of them was identified or even looks different from any of the others so... I'd guess no 'officer' or Evil mastermind "lieutenants" among them.   

I'm guessing none of them measures up to us individually - Certainly not as tough as Diesel in power... Dom wants it to be a good fight and not over super-quickly but not be overwhelming or so significantly challenging to expend our hit points before dealing with the main bad guy or uncovering the true mystery of what is truly going on. 

To me these appear to be mob brutes... we're supposed to finish them relatively easily.  I'd expect they are lvl 4 robot minions likely with maybe 50 ADR and possibly 5 pt invulnerability {just to make them last a little longer}.  Dom sent on average 2 per player but not exactly 14 so perhaps they are a slight bit tougher than a full 1 {of us} to 2 {of them} ratio.

I don't think we need to triple team them... duo maybe but more than anything I think we should try to use our abilities in conjunction with each other to multiply the effect of those of us that can only hurt them one at a time.

Take Thunderbolt's current tactic...
He could easily pick up Diesel and wing him around like a wrecking ball completely without any assistance from Rampart... so why include him in the plan?  Because TB can affect multiple things at once... and he does not wish to reveal this to the enemy.. for reasons I'll mention below.  Plus, it gets Rampart involved and the 'Espirit de' Corps' ball rolling.  Getting everyone thinking about how to team up to work to hit as many of the foes at once with an economy of effort.  TB's tactic allows Rampart to multiply the effect of his great strength to hit multiple foes at once and with Diesel's assistance inflict 'hopefully' significant damage upon many on the foe right off the bat... and keep them guessing from what quarter the next attack will come from.  It also keeps any powers we might possess concealed... other than brute force.  TB's tactic allows Rampart and Diesel to operate as a team and strike multiple foes with their great strength instead of one at a time - even if all they do is move about the battlefield clothes-lining multiple foes with the cable and their super-strength; it multiplies their effectiveness!  This leaves Thunderbolt to do what he usually does in a team battle - pull allies out of harm's way, countering a foes efforts with a judicious use of applied magnetic control on one of the many pieces of metal he carries with him... specifically for the purpose of controlling the battlefield and providing support for allies from an unexpected quarter that can't be easily countered or predicted by foes.

How Thunderbolt would use the same strategy to aid other party members would depend upon the bot's response to everyone else's individual actions  But TB would still try to operate in a high-guard capacity using only minimum force needed to defeat, disrupt or counter the enemies tactics.

Now storywise Meta...
The enemy has no idea what we can do so this is likely a probing attack - the minimum amount of response to our intrusion into the area they are seeking to control.  They sent roughly a 2 to 1 force against us; a good standard ratio for optimum tactical advantage with a good chance of success... with out deploying more force than might be needed and drawing more attention than necessary against an unknown foe - as they really seem from their actions to want to remain undetected while they are doing whatever they are doing.

This is the first real encounter with the foe so... storywise it would be bad scripting to intro the big enemies now when the mystery of what is truly going on still remains unknown.

From Thunderbolt's point of view... these 'bots' are here to determine the threat level the 'intruders' represent.  He expects that all that is transpiring here is being monitored by whoever is behind this to see who we are and most importantly WHAT we can do... to analyze our responses so that if the 'bot' force deployed is not enough to defeat and apprehend us... a more specialized force can be sent ready to counter our tactics and abilities.

This is why Thunderbolt did not direct his magnetic powers directly against the bots... and why he would like to refrain from throwing any lightning at them either.  He does not want to show them more than he needs too nor give them an opportunity to get a direct measure of what he can do to report back to their true boss.  He's trying to use minimal force to subdue them... let them think he's a telekinetic... not a electromagnetic controller!

This is of course all just supposition on my part... but it seems logical.  Its what I'd do if I were the GM. Smiley

My 2 cents.  lol!

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #203 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:40pm
Print Post  

Hmmm . . .

I'd rather over estimate and enemy and bring too much firepower to bear than underestimate an enemy and potential take damage that wasn't necessary because we held back. If we divulge some info so be it. We cross that bridge when we come to it.

I hope you're right but until the next Turn of combat and we get some solid info, assuming your opponent is weak is a recipe for disaster

BTW: look up the robots on Apocolypse Island and ...

... Slaughter-droids and  heck out how mook level V&V robots can be. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 5:31pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #204 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, I'm hoping you won't take this the wrong way.

And perhaps I'm completely wrong, as I've done very little PBEM or PBP before.  But I've read through lots of it, and my understanding is that it should work similarly to tabletop gameplay.

And at the table, if my players talk about "meta" stuff like this, either at the table (or if I caught them talking like that in the other room or via email), then they'd probably face some sort of penalty.  I don't even know, because I've rarely seen it occur, to be honest.  We (somewhat jokingly) always go by the rule that - if somebody else suggests doing something (out of character) - then that action can't be done!  And we usualy stick to that (so it's really not a joke, though we keep it lighthearted and aren't always super strict with it).

So if somebody goes "Ooh, you should grab him and swing him around and throw him into that light tower", then the one thing that character can't do is just that.  He can do pretty much anything else he can think of.  Just not grabbing the villain, swining him around, and then hurling him into the light tower.  That might seem a bit strict, but it's just the way our group has evolved to keep 'out of character' talk to a minimum.

Our logic is that (to use this PBP as an example), if the other characters don't know what Ghost can do (offensively), then how are they suddenly going to be able to alter their tactics to accomodate knowledge that their characters don't have?  It's really a role-playing issue.  If Iron Man and Captain America suddenly meet each other for the first time, Cap doesn't get to instantly know all about Iron Man and everything regarding how his armor works!  Nor does he (tactically) know everything about what he does and what maneuvers would work best between the two of them.

Now don't get me wrong, we do a LOT of out of character talking, joking, etc. during a session.  And I think that is all a big part of the fun of an RPG.  But we keep that OOC talk to stuff that has nothing to do with the game itself.  If somebody starts talking about stuff that is OOC regarding the game (like in the middle of a battle), it's viewed (more or less) as cheating.  They get immediately reminded by the other players, so it puts a stop to it. 

Not trying to be a stick in the mud or Mr. Grumpypants here, but I think that (especially) newer characters - that don't know each other - shouldn't be able to work out tactics with each other in the middle of a battle.  In an after-action report or evaluation?  Absolutely.  Once they've drilled and practiced together?  That makes sense.  But right now, when most are fairly unfamiliar with each other?  I think they should be played that way (as Ranger said earlier), with very little communication or understanding of what each other can do.

Hopefully you guys get where I'm coming from.  And if it's the norm for this type of game and all of the players and the GM are cool with it, then that's fine (and I'll adapt).  But if we're trying to roleplay these characters, then some of the fun of introducing a new character (like how Ghost showed up), is the fun of finding everything out.  There was some mistrust.  Will Ghost join in with the heroes during the fight?  Or perhaps he was sent by the same people that sent the robots, and will launch an offensive assault on the other PCs!  Only time will tell.   Wink

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #205 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:40pm:
I'd rather over estimate and enemy and bring too much firepower to bear than underestimate an enemy and potential take damage that wasn't necessary because we held back. If we divulge some info so be it. We cross that bridge when we come to it.

I agree. Nothing worse than finding out too late that you pulled your knife at a gun fight. Wink
Majestic wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 6:13pm:
Our logic is that (to use this PBP as an example), if the other characters don't know what Ghost can do (offensively), then how are they suddenly going to be able to alter their tactics to accommodate knowledge that their characters don't have?  It's really a role-playing issue.  If Iron Man and Captain America suddenly meet each other for the first time, Cap doesn't get to instantly know all about Iron Man and everything regarding how his armor works!  Nor does he (tactically) know everything about what he does and what maneuvers would work best between the two of them.

I agree. Those moments present good role-playing opportunities. Smiley
My two cents.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #206 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Grumpy pants.  Grin  Point taken brother. Smiley

Rest assured, Rampart will IC his tactical analysis. Preferably outwardly if given an opportunity. If not, then at least as a thought ballon.  Cool

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #207 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Yes, I probably didn't spend enough time emphasizing that point: that we can do a lot of this in-character.

Of course, at some point the GM is free to say that our characters are being more wordy than a Chris Claremont comic, with each word balloon containing the equivalent of the Gettysburg address.  Grin

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #208 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 6:13pm:
...And at the table, if my players talk about "meta" stuff like this, either at the table (or if I caught them talking like that in the other room or via email), then they'd probably face some sort of penalty.  I don't even know, because I've rarely seen it occur, to be honest.  We (somewhat jokingly) always go by the rule that - if somebody else suggests doing something (out of character) - then that action can't be done!  And we usualy stick to that (so it's really not a joke, though we keep it lighthearted and aren't always super strict with it).

I sort of buy this, but with a game like V&V one thing that's hard to fake is being smart. Diesel is actually a hell of a lot smarter than I am (hard to comprehend really) so time dilation and suggestions to mull over a best plan of attack/response are actually in keeping with a character of high intelligence.

I'll stick with my old maxim "No GM ever asked me to punch him to show how strong my character is"

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #209 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
@ Ranger:  Huh?  I'm known by a dozen GM's online... and they are talking about ME?  LOL... not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.  Hopefully good! Smiley

I'm not per' se saying underestimate the foe... just measured response to them.. only what you need, but I do see your point on that!

Yeah, we'll see just how tough they are after our first rounds resolution... part of why TB wanted to just use simple blunt force to hit them with to get a little gauge of how actually sturdy the robots are.

I have Island of Doctor Apocalypse but no idea where Slaughter Bots are {Death Duel with the Destroyers ...perhaps?} and ...I'm not sure that the Guardian Robots or the SLAMS {well anything with the robotic body power actually} are a good example of what your trying to point out.  Thunderbolt would very likely wipe the floor with those as he can hardly miss on a robotic body with either Lightning Control {17-} or Magnetic Powers {15-} and that is before his Accuracy +2 and heightened Expertise +4!  Dom would have to roll a 20 for him to fail to hit them.  Now true... their Vibratory weapons attack option would throw him for a loop as TB doesn't have an actual defense against that attack other than his Armor.. and there is a high chance they will shred that with a vibratory attack or two.  But the odds are not in their favor...

Not a great example against TB..though they are indeed tough for a team of 12 on a team of 7 with only one magnetic controller.  Though I noticed they have no armor and are only level 3!  In Batman's words to Superman... "I think we can take them!"

Superman - "You ALWAYS think we can take them..."

@ Majestic:  True, true... point made! Smiley  But I think the idea of us all gathering around and planning a play book in RP is not as effective in a pbp format as in a actual site down game we can discuss freely.  With a pbp people can only contribute when they can post and some people will not post very frequently.  It think that will breakdown any constructive 'planning' somewhat.  Such planning needs instant feedback and input that is VERY difficult to do in a pbp format.  Posting rate would have to be MUCH higher for anything constructive and communal in contributions to be gotten out of it.  But I'm willing to give it a try... hope it can work out IF we ever get the opportunity to just RP in character as a group in one place outside of mission.  Be Easier with a HQ and some down time to pass...

As for plotting OOC I can see you point though my post before was only meant to sort of explain TB's reason for the things he's done OOC for the other players to understand, even if in character they still don't.  Thunderbolt's plan of attack was indeed stated for those involved to hear in-character.  The results of the plan and the trust individual characters are willing to dole out to the eager and creative TB remain to be seen! Smiley

But believe me if TB wishes to employ anymore unorthodox tactics in conjunction with other teammates he will describe what he's planning in-character like before and will first ...just like before ask Power Chord for permission to 'cut-loose'.  TB won't be upset or petty if other character refuse to assist if given permission by Power Chord to work his odd tactics.  TB does not demand people follow or obey... his pinion "You're all adults and know what is best for you... if I come up with a plan that's not good for you as you see it.. its your perfect right to just not do it!  I'll just try to adjust and come up with a better plan you might want to assist in.  I'm not anyone's lord and master..."
- I think I'll have him say just this to the PROTECTORS Team in-character to lessen some of the tension when its is appropriate in RP.

@ Lord Inar:  For clarity Lord Inar Thunderbolt has already said just as much to the other members of RONIN.. he organizes and strategizes if the Team allows him to do so - he does not dictate or demand obedience!  I know we have did not get a chance to meet in-character in the previous incarnation of this game but we could have reasonably had the opportunity.  Which is why I assumed from the first posting here that Diesel has a RONIN Communicator.

@ Back to Majestic - But your point is well made and in the spirit of Role-playing I'll refrain from anymore 'suspect' OOC discussion... and hold my horse for the Role-playing experience! Smiley

For indeed we can do almost all of this in-character with Roleplay!

@ Lord Inar:  I TOTALLY see where you are coming from with that.  I'm not sure if I'm playing Thunderbolt too smart or not smart enough?  I know all the stuff he knows and in fact he knows a lot more about mechanics than I do... so I figure everything I know is far game for him to know.  Even though most of his suppositions are theoretical ponderings.  He's bright but I would not call TB a genius by ANY stretch of the imagination!
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2012 at 4:29pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Topic Tools

>