Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) General Discussion (Read 108241 times)
davew
Avenger

Designer

Re: General Discussion
Reply #105 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 6:46am
Print Post  
dsumner- I just bounced Stacy an email... she may not be familiar as to which threads regarding this to watch.

Also, did you get my email I sent last night about a fine tuning tweak on my character (the part where I said we may want to create a power cost on one thing)?

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #106 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:16am
Print Post  
I'm just getting home, after a 15 hour shift, so I still need to check my email. Once I get some sleep, I'll reply.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #107 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the team guys, and er gals... I'm not usually so slow to respond, but like everyone else, work has been crazy. 

Looking forward to playing with you.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #108 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 11:07am
Print Post  
BTW, what year is it in the game?
I'm wondering if Lorenzo would have GPS and something like an iPhone for web-browsing in the van.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #109 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Check here Lord_Inar

http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1255049945

To provide a quick summary of technology, here it is from that thread.

Technology

Tech wise, this world is similar to our own, but some restricted technology is far in advance of what we see today. The US government, other nations, and certain heroes/villains routinely make use of things such as FTL travel, mecha, directed energy weapons, power armor, etc. But the average person on the street isn't going to have access to a teleporter or power armor

So you should have access to an IPhone, if you have the cash.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #110 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 11:07am
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:16pm:
Check here Lord_Inar

http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1255049945

To provide a quick summary of technology, here it is from that thread.

Technology

Tech wise, this world is similar to our own, but some restricted technology is far in advance of what we see today. The US government, other nations, and certain heroes/villains routinely make use of things such as FTL travel, mecha, directed energy weapons, power armor, etc. But the average person on the street isn't going to have access to a teleporter or power armor

So you should have access to an IPhone, if you have the cash.

Very good. Thank you!

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #111 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Skydiver (Silver Star) asked about getting a set of wheels, so I've added a picture and some stats for a bike that I think fits his character concept. Let me know what you guys think.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #112 - May 3rd, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Cool bike!

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #113 - May 3rd, 2010 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I was hoping he'd like the bike. Also, Avatar has expressed interest in joining the game, so I'm working with him on his character. Once everything is worked out, I'll work him into the game.

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #114 - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi,
My friends call me Zeus. I have been playing RPG's since before D&D. We played Chainmail. I played V&V when it first came out and my friends eventually switched to Champions. I am a stay at home dad,with 2 teenagers at home. I was a zookeeper for 20 years and am now on disability. I have instilled in my oldest child a love of comics and role playing. I have little to no experience with blogs,but can learn. I am hoping this will give me opportunities to help create a good story. I enjoy what I have seen so far. Hope my character gets the ok.  Thanks for the time guys

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #115 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
For those of you who don't know, I contracted an artist to do up some sketches of the PCs. Here's the first one, Power Chord.

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #116 - May 11th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
So, is the plan to do individual pics, then a group pic?  This is too cool!

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #117 - May 12th, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on May 11th, 2010 at 8:46pm:
So, is the plan to do individual pics, then a group pic?  This is too cool!

Yep, Jack Frost is up next.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #118 - May 12th, 2010 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Oh baby.

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #119 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #120 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Cool, your own calogne... did you get royalties?

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #121 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I wish!

BTW, I just wanted to chime in that I'm really enjoying the combat with Slik & the gunman, although, I'm afraid we may end up empty handed!

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #122 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
what's the word on a new skill system? You are going to use something similar to D20 system? Last D20  I played D&D 3.5 should I break the book out and renew myself with the feats and skills?

I got sidetracked, and then started procrastinating, so I haven't gotten around to working out all the details.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2010 at 3:41pm by dsumner »  

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #123 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
So.  Do we... or more importantly you Dsummer want the two groups to meet?

You know a good 'soft' reboot would be a RP session where through matters 'off-screen', RONIN and the Protectors find out about each other and the start of the new run is a meet and greet of the two teams and a decision to form a single team ... the NEW GUARDIANS or the NEW PROTECTORS or somesuch. That way your not running two separate groups in one game.

...Just Sayian.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #124 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 7:15am
Print Post  
As of right now, I'm keeping the groups separate, but yes they will meet up. After that, it'll be up to you guys to figure out if you want to combine into a larger group. Talk about it and see what works best for everyone.

YIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #125 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Hey Dom, is there anything keeping me from spending Thunderbolt's Invention points on a Base/HQ?  Or is this another thing I should just cool my jets on? lol!

I can't seem to find any real definite rules on Bases/HQ's in the core rules I'm looking at...
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012 at 1:54am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #126 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 2:10am
Print Post  
I only mention it because you've menioned not having access to the V&V books.

Inventing points don't generally work that way. Inventing points generally are used to solve puzzles, construct devices in order to accomplish a particular task or supplement your powers. Rule of thumb seems to be an an invention should be no more powerful than 1/4 of a regular power.

For said Invention to have a chance of success a number of things must fall into place. A) You have to have spent the time to do the research needed for the Invention, B) You have to have the required skill to Invent "it" in the first place, then C) You need to have the resources/wealth to acquire the materials needed to build the Invention, and finally D) A successful Invention Roll based on your Intelligence has to be passed.

Like I said, I only mention it because you seemed to be mistaking Invention Points with the Hero Points characters use in Champions to acquire more powers, skills etc.

If I mistook or interpretted anything incorrectly I wholeheartedly apologize, just trying to help with how the regular rules work. As always each GM has their own tweaks, and I admit total ignorance of Dom's style or methods on the subject.
Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012 at 2:12am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #127 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Ah! Ok.. no you are correct I was not really aware of what and how invention points are used.  Guess I'll just sit on them.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #128 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Okay, here's a quick clarification. As per the "standard" V&V rules, Inventing Points can be used to invent devices, solve puzzles, have brilliant idea (you figure out how to use the alien device), etc. You want to whip up a bio-scanner that lets you detect the use of a specific type of bio-reading, you burn an inventing point.

While I'm thinking about it, I'll allow you guys to "pool" inventing points for things like special features in a HQ complex, or vehicle. So, you might want to start looking at that, as hanging out at the local burger joint, or BSI office, is only going to work for so long (hint, hint).

In Empire City I award Hero Points for really good role playing, characters doing something particularly inventive, etc. They can be used for things that only happen in comics, movies, TV, books, etc.

Example 1: Let's say Sixgun has a snowball's chance in hell of shooting a laser pistol out of Dr. Roboto's hand, before he turns Polly Purheart, Sixgun's one true love, into a pile of ash. He spends his hero point to ensure he makes that shot.

Example 2: Roustabout is tangling with Kickboxer on the roof a 10 story apartment building, when Kickboxer lands a solid kick to R's chest, sending him tumbling over the edge and strait toward the sidewalk below. Roustabout spends his hero point to allow him to grab hold of window ledge, saving himself from what could have been a debilitating injury. 

You need to think before you burn a hero point, as odds are pretty good I'm only going to give out 1 per an adventure, so use them sparingly.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:19am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #129 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Sorry gents, I've been out of the loop the past few days, but I've been VERY busy at work, and spent about four hours sitting at the hospital yesterday afternoon, waiting to get a blood test done thanks to idiot spitting in my face, and into my ear canal. So, now I'm playing catch-up on getting some stuff posted and responding to all of the emails sitting in my in-box.

YIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #130 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 1:34am
Print Post  
We need to try to keep side conversations in a OOC thread so as not to clutter the In-Game Thread... just a suggestion.

In answer to your question... admittedly I may have worded Shawn's/Thunderbolts private musing improperly.  Thunderbolt views it as a procedural issue.  MCU cannot 'legally' allow a civilian, non-police officer - detective {no matter how skilled or powerful} access to their investigation files.  THEY are the trained professionals and it would look bad on them if anyone - metahuman or mundane was allowed to assist in a ongoing investigation and muffed up the case by not following proper law-enforcement procedure, not being a licensed policeman with the authority to enforce laws and or compromising recovered evidence so it was non-admissible in court.  Police officers go to school to learn all this stuff... to allow a untrained civi to 'help-out' would jeopardize anything they uncovered pertaining to the case... a sharp lawyer could have even an iron-clad case thrown out of court over such issues!

BUT... BSI has the authority to dully deputize a matahuman 'consultant' and use their abilities in solving a case.  Even IF MCU wanted Thunderbolt's help they could not agree to it... it's not in their authority to do so.  But BSI can.

With Shawn's extensive understanding of how Law-Enforcement works {his father being once a very good Police detective}... he went straight to the people who could accept his help and or point him to the MCU officers on the case with a BSI liaison in tow bringing him in as an 'expert consultant' by BSI's standards to assist on the case.

Hope that answers your question?
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:13pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #131 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 5:03pm:
“I agree, I see no need for the shields at this point, as a gesture of faith,” Power Chord waves his hand dropping both shields.

“We’ve been working with the BSI since the incident at Citizens Bank and Trust.  Our liaison is Agent Woo, and that is who I would be introducing you too.  I was actually on my way here to meet some of the members of my team.  We had heard about a couple of murders, but hadn’t really had a chance to look into it.  I believe we were headed to Jonesville to look into a series of odd phenomena related to meteorites.”  While talking, Power Chord glides toward the door to the BSI building, gesturing to Thunderbolt to join him.

“I’m glad to hear that your sister is safe, and I certainly understand your desire to catch whomever is responsible.”

He nods to the agents around the door, and gestures for Thunderbolt to precede him inside. "Gentlemen," He says to the agents, "I believe we are expecting a few more guests if you would bring them to the conference room when they arrive it would be greatly appreciated."

and...

dsumner wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 4:27am:
GM to T-Bolt, and Power Chord:

As the two of you continue your conversation, a firm, polite voice calls out to you from below.

"Excuse me gentlemen, but if the two of you would be so kind as to come down here, it would be appreciated."

It's the voice of one of the BSI security personnel. You can tell by his frown on his brow, and his body language, that he's a bit upset.

Actions?

and

Hammer wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 12:44pm:
"Of course officer."

OOC: I'd stated the actions for Power Chord above... His intention is to lead Thunderbolt to the initial conference room where Mr. Smiths initially met with the Protectors.  I'm not sure what effect the shielding there will have on Thunderbolt's powers, but I thnk it would be a safe place for introductions...

Let me know if I need to respond again, or differently.

I'm going to proceed upon the assumption... that as I interrupted Power Chord's approach to Thunderbolt...as TB has Radar sense... the BSI Agents who have been watching and positioning to deal with the unexpected visitor...also interrupt Thunderbolt and Power Chord Entering the BSI HQ.

My next post will reflect that.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:14pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #132 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:28am
Print Post  
By the way... I edited my last post... Lord Inar... forgot to ask Diesel if he had called Stalker.  Just trying to get everyone in on the RP! Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #133 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 5:29pm:
[OOC] I thought these were pretty much connected just to Thunderbolt, but I'm remembering incorrectly, Diesel will call Stalker.

He approaches the front door in as non-threatening a manner as possible.

Actually this is the blog post where Thunderbolt gave RONIN their phones...

------
ThunderboltMay 30, 2011 6:32 AM
Thunderbolt spoke to his fellow Vigilantes at the Junkyard detailing out his goals for RONIN in EC. Specifically the systematic aggressive cessation of the production and distribution of the Boost Drug. He also outlines a proposal for RONIN to operate as needed in general as a crime-fighting superhero team of Empire City. To which he hands each of them a disposable cell-phone. They are all very generic, low quality text phones. Each one of them has the numbers of the other phones in memory and they are pay by hour credit-phones that can have more hours purchased at general gas stations or connivance stores. They require no 'official' record just phoned in charges of the hours bought . completely untraceable other than the phone's signal itself. Thunderbolt tells them that he does not have the technical means to 'bug' the phones and even if he did he would not do so out of respect for their individual privacies', but he understands that they can only take his word for that, so he suggests that they turn the phones off and leave them off save for 10 minutes at a time, eight specific times a day. 12AM, 12PM, 6AM, 6PM, 3AM, 3PM, 9AM, 9PM the cardinal points on the clock face. This is so the phones do not have a signal open and traceable by normal means all the time, but we all can contact each other at those specific times. The phones have their own messaging storage so even if we miss each other with the phones on we can leave messages with each other and schedule a meeting place and time. Thunderbolt also tells them they should never meet at this junkyard again it is too familiar. He does tell them he is currently setting up his own Operational HQ but it is not done and he's more interested in seeing how well RONIN works as a team before inviting them to convene meetings there. For now he suggests these impromptu meetings and messaging via the phones is all that is needed for now - to see how things go first.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #134 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Dom love how you're reacting on the fly to Rampart's weakness. Jon and I just thought it a timely way in the progression of the story for Jason to discover his sensitivity ... and bamf, you dovetail it into another mystery.

Kudos

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #135 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Anyone chatted with Dom recently?

Just want to know if he's okay

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #136 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I haven't but... its probably the GENCON blues... everyone else seems to be going EXCEPT ME'..and I live in Indianapolis! {sigh!}

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #137 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Aug 17th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
Anyone chatted with Dom recently?

Just want to know if he's okay

I haven't. If anyone does tell him that I hope all is well with him. Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #138 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:33am
Print Post  
I'm sure he's fine.  He often gets tied up for stretches, working massive hours with hardly time to sleep in-between.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #139 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Dom posted on Facebook last week that he was sick. I don't know if he is over it yet.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Topic Tools

>