Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming V&V Releases (Read 128671 times)
Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: Upcoming V&V Releases
Reply #420 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:35pm:
Ramble wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:21pm:
Well... I've committed to writing 3 books, and you can expect them to be released around the same time. So, as long as everything comes together well, I think a WWII Giant is quite possible.

Ramble

That's good news. So I gather Homefront covers playing back in the US, and Frontline is for playing on the battlefield (or behind enemy lines)? And Super Soldiers covers various nations Super Soldier programs?

Homefront will cover some WWII adventures in the USA.

Super Soldiers will cover 30 WWII superhumans (Germans, Americans, Japanese, Italians, Canadians, Russians, and the UK).

Frontlines will cover some WWII adventures around the world, but outside the main theatre of war.

If we have fan support for these, then we can consider doing more in the Pacific and Central Europe (in short, the core of war).

Ramble

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #421 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:12am
Print Post  
You know, I love a hard copy as much as the next guy, and I far prefer them to a PDF.  But who says you can't turn a PDF into an actual book?

What I do is simply print the books out.  The vast majority (all but the cover and counters) are black and white, so it's not like it's burning an enormous amount of ink.  Recently I've taken to using card stock (the heaviest I can find that are made to go through printers) for the front and back cover, and voila - you've got yourself an actual "module", an adventure just like the ones we used to buy at the store!

Here's an example:

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #422 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Examples of the interior.  I suppose one could print on both sides of the same sheet of paper, but you'd probably have to buy/use really thick, high-quality paper so that things from one side didn't bleed over to the other.

These are just some pictures I snapped a few minutes ago to show how this can be done.  I've been doing it for all the latest stuff and they look great, not to mention it gives you a book you can hold in your hands (and thumb through) as you're running the adventure itself. Smiley

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #423 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:10am:
[quote author=313626332536440 link=1278521487/414#414 date=1345329336]

Sounds good. I take it the bad guys will be a mix of regular bad guys and Axis villains?

Super Soldiers will cover 30 WWII superhumans (Germans, Americans, Japanese, Italians, Canadians, Russians, and the UK).

So it's not all super soldiers, just supers from different nations? I take it all of them have actual super powers, and aren't necessarily "mystery men" types?

Frontlines will cover some WWII adventures around the world, but outside the main theatre of war.

Sounds good

If we have fan support for these, then we can consider doing more in the Pacific and Central Europe (in short, the core of war).

Ramble

Well, I'll definitely get them. Even if I don't use them for V&V, I can always use them for another game. Converting isn't too hard.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #424 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:12am:
You know, I love a hard copy as much as the next guy, and I far prefer them to a PDF.  But who says you can't turn a PDF into an actual book?

No one is saying you can't. However, not everyone wants to go to the trouble of printing a pdf up. I sure don't. I like a nice, double sided page book, and with my old printer that likes to act up once in awhile, is too much trouble for me to sit down and do myself. Since I don't print much anymore, it's not worth it to buy a new one either.

I've printed up plenty of pdf's before, and while they're ok, it's not the same (to me) as a professionally printed one.

Once I get a tablet (which I hope to have by the end of the year), then I likely won't care. But something like this is nice to have all in one book like the Giants
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2012 at 6:36am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #425 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:56pm:
i need hardcopy. im a tactile person, plus most of my net access is via my phone, which cant handle the mighty pdf technology of you cybermen from the future lol

You are not alone Bill!

I am a computer using luddite of sorts; I prefer print for my Thursday night gaming, it just 'feels right'. Smiley

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #426 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:12am:

Very inventive!  Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #427 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I'm looking forward to reading all of the above mentioned books.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #428 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I just print out the PDF files for easy reading Smiley

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #429 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 6:29am:

Sounds good. I take it the bad guys will be a mix of regular bad guys and Axis villains?

So it's not all super soldiers, just supers from different nations? I take it all of them have actual super powers, and aren't necessarily "mystery men" types?

Sounds good

Ramble

Well, I'll definitely get them. Even if I don't use them for V&V, I can always use them for another game. Converting isn't too hard.

Very perceptive. Yes, Homefront will be two (or possibly 3 adventures) that take place on U.S. soil, where the Axis are trying to leave the US focused on internal issues and not on the war in Europe. They can do this by using a few subtle supers/spies to stir things up without giving the Americans a credible reason to assume Axis involvement.

WWIISS is essentially a full package of supers who could be found in a variety of scenairos in a WWII campaign. While there are a few purely skilled folks in the book, most are have devices, psionics, superpowers, etc, to keep them alive. Never understood how Union Jack in Marvel had the guts to put on a costume... and he was armed with a pistol!  Shocked

Glad to hear you're pumped about the set. I think we'll need to include a few ways that approach a WWII campaign at some point for the players and GM's that aren't ready to do a few campaign of WWII.

Ramble

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #430 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:15am:
Examples of the interior.  I suppose one could print on both sides of the same sheet of paper, but you'd probably have to buy/use really thick, high-quality paper so that things from one side didn't bleed over to the other.

These are just some pictures I snapped a few minutes ago to show how this can be done.  I've been doing it for all the latest stuff and they look great, not to mention it gives you a book you can hold in your hands (and thumb through) as you're running the adventure itself. Smiley

Hey Majestic.
I'm glad you're enjoying my work, and it's looks like you've got an awesome set up for all your gaming needs. Keep up the good work.

Ramble

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #431 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:43am
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:39am:
I have two ideas for mods, but no experience in writing proffesionally and  no clue as to how to start them.  Any tips from you experienced pros?

I've got a few...
1) When you get a writer's block - don't fight it. It's trying to tell you something.
2) Don't try to be a writer and an editor at the same time. It's a compromise and it muddles what you're trying to do.
3) Be honest with your audience about what you're trying to say.
4) Have a goal and a plan. Use the plan to build towards the goal.

Ramble

One of my books has taken a long time to get made because it's a challenging topic (WWII), and often I'll hit a road block as I build it. What I've come to realize is that the block is simply another idea that you find interesting... and that idea has merit, so instead of trying to ignore it or downplay it, I save the original book and work on the new idea. I let the idea exhaust itself, and then return back to the orignal.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #432 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:43am:
I've got a few...
1) When you get a writer's block - don't fight it. It's trying to tell you something.

What does this mean?
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:10am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #433 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:03am:
Very perceptive. Yes, Homefront will be two (or possibly 3 adventures) that take place on U.S. soil, where the Axis are trying to leave the US focused on internal issues and not on the war in Europe. They can do this by using a few subtle supers/spies to stir things up without giving the Americans a credible reason to assume Axis involvement.

Ok, so it's all adventures with Axis involvement, and none that just feature American villains acting on their own?

WWIISS is essentially a full package of supers who could be found in a variety of scenairos in a WWII campaign. While there are a few purely skilled folks in the book, most are have devices, psionics, superpowers, etc, to keep them alive. Never understood how Union Jack in Marvel had the guts to put on a costume... and he was armed with a pistol!  Shocked

Well, the second one had electro-magnetic powers....

Glad to hear you're pumped about the set. I think we'll need to include a few ways that approach a WWII campaign at some point for the players and GM's that aren't ready to do a few campaign of WWII.

Ramble

That sounds good.

I'm actually working on some stuff (for a few other systems) featuring Golden Age comic book villains available in the public domain. The public domain supers wiki is a good resource for characters of the day, and you'd be surprised that of all the villains listed on the wiki (I think around 300), only about 1/6th of them are Axis characters, and even less Japanese (with no Italian villains). The golden age was ripe with ideas, just like the modern era is, just with less clutter  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:49am by Gerry »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #434 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:47am:

Ok, so it's all adventures with Axis involvement, and none that just feature American villains acting on their own?

Well, the second one had electro-magnetic powers....

Ramble

That sounds good.

I'm actually working on some stuff (for a few other systems) featuring Golden Age comic book villains available in the public domain. The public domain supers wiki is a good resource for characters of the day, and you'd be surprised that of all the villains listed on the wiki (I think around 300), only about 1/6th of them are Axis characters, and even less Japanese (with no Italian villains). The golden age was ripe with ideas, just like the modern era is, just with less clutter  Smiley

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #435 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 12:51am
Print Post  
And now with words...

Homefront is about the war coming to the US, which means there will be some Axis involvement. That said, there are home grown villains in that book as well... including one that is extremely American, and an excellent opponent for modern day heroes too.

Maybe Union Jack II had powers, but he's not the one I remember.  Wink

And I think for Golden Age heroes, not just focusing on WWII is a good thing. It was more than WWII that makes up the golden age afterall. For these books of mine, I'm focusing on WWII because (with the exception of the Devil's Domain) I don't think V&V has ever officially approached a war, and what that means for our heroes.

Ramble

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #436 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 2:14am
Print Post  

What does this mean?

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #437 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 2:14am:

What does this mean?

What it means is that when I get writer's block, it usually means I need to switch gears. For example, if I'm having a hard time with this new character I'm adding to a module or book... maybe that's a sign I need to take a step back and ask - "why am I trying to add this to my book?"

When I started working on my Super Soldiers book, I created a character that was really interesting... an excellent idea. I invested time and energy on him... I could visualize him, and his powers were cool... but I couldn't finish him. I hit a writer's block. So... I took him out of the book. I removed him completely, and put him in another file because he just didn't fit my book. He needed his own adventure... he needed space to explain his plans and explore his character.

OR... another character just didn't feel like he belonged in WWII, but here was a cool character nevertheless. So, I took him out, and began a new file called Mercenaries set in the modern age.

Sometimes writer's blocks are just a sign you've created something that doesn't work where you've placed it, and no matter how much you play around with that concept, it's a piece that belongs in another puzzle. No matter how much you butt your head against the wall, your gut will tell you that idea belongs somewhere else.

By the time I finish WWII Super Soldiers, I'll have created another entire book (Mercenaries) and have the raw materials for the adventures for a third book (Homefront) in a state where they can be pulled together. And that's because I used my writer's blocks as building blocks.

Does that make sense?

Ramble

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #438 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Yes.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #439 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Do you like easter eggs?

For those who have an interest in the upcoming WWII Super Soldiers book, I foreshadow two characters from WWIISS in the Mercenaries Book.

Hint: Look in the origins for Crackerjack and Hurtsickle.

Ramble

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #440 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:09am
Print Post  
oh, as to the FIRST Union Jack: as he was The Living Legend of World War ONE, there was a lot less superhuman competition (aside from Baron Blood). plus, simply NOT having to charge at machine guns across open ground gave him a huge edge.

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #441 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Not that Baron Blood wasn't pretty dangerous if used correctly Smiley

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #442 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Menagerie is almost done.  Cheesy

After I'm complete on that, I am actually also almost done with this too.... HAVE A GOOD V&V DAY!

SKU2026a_FC72.jpg ( 350 KB | 17 Downloads )
SKU2026a_FC72.jpg

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #443 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Really nice cover!

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #444 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Pretty scary, AK!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #445 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Looks awesome, J!  Cool

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #446 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
That is an awesome cover indeed!

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #447 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Awesome cover; the central character gives me a sort-of Brother Blood vibe (which is a very good thing BTW). Great stuff.  Smiley

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #448 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Yep!  Gorgeous cover!  Great job AK!

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #449 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:54am
Print Post  
That is a great cover, JB.

Brother Blood... wow, that's a blast from the past!

Ramble

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #450 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Okay, just to make sure everyone's up to date, here's the list of stuff that's been announced as being in the pipeline.

Menagerie - Stewart & Steven Wieck
Great Bridge 2 - John P. Adams & Yad Ming Mui
The Department - John P. Adams & Yad Ming Mui
Home Front - Darren Tenor
World War II Super Soldiers - Darren Tenor
The Front Line - Darren Tenor
Final Fight with the Furies (SKU2026a) - James Bishop
Black Souls' Abyss (SKU2026b) - James Bishop

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #451 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:44pm:

I've read the manuscript for Menagerie, and here are just two of the selling points:

1. The authors include several stand-alone villains, including 1-2  that follow-up on the ancient beings mentioned in the origin of Sludge in the Secret in the Swamp.

2. If you're looking for a Christmas adventure, Menagerie has a Christmas encounter.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #452 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:54am:

Ramble

If he is a blast from the past what does that make those of us who bought the books new? Angry

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #453 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Avatar wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:56pm:
Ramble wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:54am:

Ramble

If he is a blast from the past what does that make those of us who bought the books new? Angry

Experienced.

Ramble

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #454 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:58am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:44pm:
Okay, just to make sure everyone's up to date, here's the list of stuff that's been announced as being in the pipeline.

Great Bridge 2 - John P. Adams & Yad Ming Mui
The Department - John P. Adams & Yad Ming Mui
Home Front - Darren Tenor
World War II Super Soldiers - Darren Tenor
The Front Line - Darren Tenor
Final Fight with the Furies (SKU2026a) - James Bishop
Black Souls' Abyss (SKU2026b) - James Bishop

That's a full pipeline, if I do say so myself.

For the sake of accuracy, also add THE LAZARUS GANG to the list. It will appear from me before FRONT LINE. It's a modern Western for V&V.

Cool

Ramble

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23
Topic Tools

>