Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New freebie on the FGU site (Read 18117 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: New freebie on the FGU site
Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
That Excel file is really cool!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:38pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #36 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:28pm:
simple: free villains get your work out where EVERYONE can see it immediately and provide immediate feedback, just like we would for a character anyone else posted. Im not downing your work, Im examining it and attempting to give constructive feedback. I dig what you are doing with her Mutant power, I was just wondering if there were a simpler way of accomplishing the same thing. maybe an extra (level/2) Inventing points each level? Or even have her actual Intelligence increase by 1pt per level as part of the Mutant Power. Thatll keep her Inventing% and Inventing Points on the rise (HP too) even if she "Trains" in something else. or if she trains her Intelligence as well, thatll add up quickly... but not to the equivalent of 3 powers worth of inventions each level.

Feh... I know from gamers. Unless someone says "You're a hack and your work sucks", I don't think my work is being "downed".

You listed some nice alternatives for an "inventive" character. One of the nice things about the V&V rules is that they allow for a LOT of creativity. Remember, all inventions are between 1/4 and 1/3 as powerful as normal "Powers", Marie's are up to 1/2, so there are still limits to what she can do. Her boat is kind of her "Magnum Opus" and it will be a long time before she equals that achievement (it's a power [vehicle], not something she invented later). Also, the INV% is the BASE % roll, harder inventions can (and should) be adjusted by the GM. Lastly, there is always that 5% chance that something completely INSANE will happen every time a character attempts to invent. The more rolls a character makes, the more insanity they are likely to incur (I did roll the %dice for each of Marie's inventions with no weirdness results).

Still - I expect to see 30 times this much traffic when Great Bridge 2 comes out... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2012 at 3:34pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #37 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 5:08am
Print Post  
while yer waiting, you should read up on any older v&v supplements you havent read.  its fun!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #38 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Yes, reading through the old "Legacy" work is fun. I have about Half of the old stuff, I need to get off my back-side and order some more.

I have found that there is a lot of flexability with Willpower, Mutant Power, Body Power, and Psionics, and that how different writers interpret the rules a little differently.
I do not, however, recall ever seeing a character with a bonus ability based upon "Natural Weaponry". It's a pretty common power, so statistically there should be at least one.
I have found that some of the writers rounded their HP's up (Hit Mod x Basic Hits rounded up) while others simply rounded to the nearest whole number.

My personnal experience is that making a character's stats and powers is a WHOLE lot easier than writing up his/her bio. That can be really frustrating, and sometimes the backgrounds I really like are the ones that everyone thinks are just plane weird. Fortunately, I am in good company - some of the bios from back in the day are a little iffy as well.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I bet most people who use the Natural Weaponry power forget or are unaware of the 20% chance of a bonus ability.  Any time you roll a power, you should always reread the power description.

I always thought some of the "weird" background stories were derived from a truly random selection of powers.  When powers are rolled randomly, you usually end up with at least some of the powers complementing but you inevitably have that odd power(s) that just doesn't "fit".  Imagine trying to come up with a background story for an aquatic-based vigilante with wings (oh, wait...)

The lesson to learn here is: having a strange combination of powers never stopped Marvel, so players shouldn't let it stop them!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #40 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 3:44pm:
For Paul (et al)

I use this to do most of my V&V character math.

This is nice. I keep trying to find a way to have my more database version (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag7WeAh30rD2dGNTYkszdGRlUnVuXy02c0k...) have a nice looking sheet. I may have to steal this (with permission of course).

- Marc

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Go ahead! It's a freebie Smiley

Glad you like it. I just wish I knew how to do a Java version.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2012 at 10:23am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #42 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 1:57am
Print Post  
What was that link, Lord Inar?  I got it to work, but I'm not sure I understand it.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2012 at 1:58am by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #43 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
polarboy has a lot of awesome threads discussing established methods of handling various flexible powers in published materials in the House Rules area (i think... it may be citadel). start on oldest page and work forwards. he does good research

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #44 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Bill... are you implying something?  Wink

What I meant was it's interesting to see how the various authors have used the flexible powers. I read a few with similar powers and think "OH! I could use this power to do [weird idea]". And hey, even the "New Stuff" has some interesting takes on the flexi-powers. All this time and we still have not run out of ideas for this simple system.

I figure at least some gamer has created a character with "Mutant Power: always wins", or "Psionics: Entire world worships him as their Supreme Ruler."

Go to the FGU web site and look up the freebies. There is a nice "Rules of Thumb" there - the author did a really nice job putting it together.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2012 at 4:38pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #45 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 10th, 2012 at 4:37pm:
I figure at least some gamer has created a character with "Mutant Power: always wins", or "Psionics: Entire world worships him as their Supreme Ruler."

I actually did use that for a villain named Mistress Skala. She was the empress of star spanning empire. She had a combination of Emotion Control, Psionics, Heightened Charisma, Darkness Control, and Heightened Intelligence. I used her psionics as a form of mass mind control, basically the entire population loved her to death, and would die to protect her. I also worked up a villain group, called the Imperial Guard (guess where that idea came from) that acted as her royal guard/enforces. I only stated up a few of them as most of us drifted off to military service or college about that time.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #46 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
lol naw, its just handy if something you are trying to do has an existing game mechanic. saves time making a new one, or if you dont like the existing one it gives a good starting point to make a new mechanic

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #47 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
i like Rules of Thumb but wish it were much longer. compiling some Chemical Power examples and special weapon examples would help noobz

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #48 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Bill Kropp wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 3:42pm:
i like Rules of Thumb but wish it were much longer. compiling some Chemical Power examples and special weapon examples would help noobz

I appreciate the feedback, Bill. The idea behind Rules of Thumb was to document only those power options or variations that occurred in two or more different publications by different writers--so the lens was decidedly narrow. It's too early to say if there will be an expanded version, but I'll keep your notes in mind just in case. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #49 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
if you get to do another, simply compiling your Specific-Power-In-Depth threads together would be amazing. or at least listing more existing examples (even if not including the rules) for metapowers like Psionics, Body Power, ChemicalPower, MagicSpell etc

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #50 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
but first and foremost let me stress this: GOOD WORK ON RULES OF THUMB. no complaints, just a wishlist lol

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #51 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
The Excel spreadsheet on FGU's website has been updated!

Ironnerd wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 2:24pm:
I tested this version up to a max of 200 for each stat and a body weight of 900,000 lb. and everything seems to work fine.

Download the latest copy today!

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #52 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:00pm:
For me, Most Wanteds (and Great Bridges) don't really present characters that "You can use in your campaign". They have always been more of a "Here's what you can do with the system" sort of thing.
Now that I know your perspective, I'll be sure not to use any of your Great Bridge enemies in my campaign.  Sad

How about Centerville Incident. Is that also released with the intention that customers "don't ... use it in your campaign" ?
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:16pm by Heston »  

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #53 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Heston wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:11pm:
Ironnerd wrote on Jun 26th, 2012 at 5:00pm:
For me, Most Wanteds (and Great Bridges) don't really present characters that "You can use in your campaign". They have always been more of a "Here's what you can do with the system" sort of thing.
Now that I know your perspective, I'll be sure not to use any of your Great Bridge enemies in my campaign.  Sad

How about Centerville Incident. Is that also released with the intention that customers "don't ... use it in your campaign" ?

I'm sure Ypsilanti meant that a GM should modify the characters to fit their respective campaigns.

Great Bridge has a collection of characters with an anime theme.  I believe it also has some rules regarding Japan's primary paranormal government agency.  Overall, it's just as cool and silly as any of the other villain sourcebooks.  It still has a comic book feel.

Centerville is an interesting story, but the main protagonist has been criticised.  You probably wouldn't like her, either.  It also contains general information for an interstellar law enforcement agency called "Galactic Police".
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:58pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Heston
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #54 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:11pm:
'm sure Ypsilanti meant that a GM should modify the characters to fit their respective campaigns.

Great Bridge has a collection of characters with an anime theme.  I believe it also has some rules regarding Japan's primary paranormal government agency.  Overall, it's just as cool and silly as any of the other villain sourcebooks.  It still has a comic book feel.

Centerville is an interesting story, but the main protagonist has been criticised.  You probably wouldn't like her, either.  It also contains general information for an interstellar law enforcement agency called "Galaxy Police".

Great! I have both of these in Giant 4. It's good to know I didn't waste any money and that these are meant to be used in a campaign!  Smiley

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #55 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
WOW! I need to clarify that statement... I suddenly feel like a politician... Roll Eyes

HECK YES, you can use any character from Great Bridge, Power of One, Centerville Incident, or even Ms. La Rouge for a campaign. You can alter them if you like, or just plug-and-play. While I may "see" most of the pre-generated characters as idea-seeds, I still write them to be usable as-is. I'm a player too, ya'know. I know that once in a while its nice to just toss "Mirage" or "RING" into an adventure (hopefully the same can be said for "Flash-Bang" or "Stingray"). I also know that some players/GM's create campaigns by picking out a bunch of bad-guys from their collection of books and mold them into a "Team of Evil" - and that is cool.

If I didn't want you guys using my characters in campaigns or being modified, I would not even publish them. Like I said, I know from gamers... Wink

Now... What is the problem with the "main protagonist" in Centerville? All I have read is that someone didn't like Koniji's uniform, and that I totally forgot to give the Armor Dolls regular names (I admit to making a bone-headed move there, but in my defense, it was my first published adventure)... C'mon people, I'm getting ready to do a "Galactic Police" adventure - what needs to be fixed?
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:45pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #56 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I think that was what was criticised about Koniji (I had forgotton her name).  I just didn't think Heston would like her.  Assumption on my part...

I didn't even notice the lack of names on the Armor Dolls.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #57 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I take no responsibility for the uniform Smiley Okay, Yad drew it, I liked it and approved it. Koniji is roughly based on these "Space Cops" from the anime Tenchi Muyo

Mihoshi Koramitsu and Kiyone Makibi (MAN! Pioneer had some great artists!)

If you go to deviant art and look up "Kanonfodder" or "Yad M Mui", you'll see that Koniji is surprisingly clothed by Yad's standards. He actually asked me what kind of underwear she wears...

If I ever do more with the Armor Dolls, I promise to give them real names and expanded backgrounds. The point I failed to make was that Dept-88 didn't know anything about them yet. As for "The Man in Black" a.k.a. Agent Yamada... we'll see a glimpse of him fairly soon. Koniji and Proxima are also scheduled for a return.

I fully understand why some may not like the "manga" style stuff I have done. The idea is to drag a few new people into the game. The only dedicated Anime/Manga RPG I played was Big Eyes, Small Mouth. It went d20, then seemed to vanish. What I was hoping to achieve was to pull a few of those BESM fans to V&V. Having played both, it is my opinion that V&V is still a better system, but BESM was still pretty darn good - until it wen d20... Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 4:44pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #58 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
What kind of underwear does she wear?

What kind of underwear do the Armor Dolls wear?

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #59 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I've liked a few Mangas out there, but japanimation art is so philisophically different than our our beloved western superhero styles, that I normally don't think the two do well when mixed.

The Batman that came out a few years ago and the recent Ironman and X-Men that made it over from the East recently has started to change my mind . I look forward to your work guys Smiley

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #60 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 4:51pm:
What kind of underwear does she wear?

What kind of underwear do the Armor Dolls wear?

Koniji likes something frilly under her uniform.

The armor dolls don't wear underwear... it's push-up armor. 

Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:03pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #61 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Ranger: while the anime and manga heroes of recent years do illustrate your point well, what i think of as "the classic heroes" (roughly 25 years old) of anime are psychologically closer due in part to the give and take between Samurai and Old West genres

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #62 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:03am
Print Post  
the short list: Sho Fukamachi, Guyver 1. i always felt he embodies 50% of Spider-Man's niche in anime, and all of Peter Parker's. his diverse supporting cast, school antics, and totally accidental power origin plus his deep reserves of untapped resolve.

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #63 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:06am
Print Post  
The cursed noble immortal hero who must constantly restrain the beast within, lest he become the monsters he battles? Why yes, Vampire Hunter D IS the ultimate pimp! lol

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #64 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
the more of the original 152 episode Fist of The North Star series you watch, the more you get to hear Kenshiro explain exactly why he has no choice but to destroy those who would slaughter the innocent in the wake of the apocalypse.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #65 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:15am
Print Post  
"D" really matures and comes into his role as a hero in "Bloodlust" the second movie featuring him.  I also hear there is a huge collection of Manga about "D".
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:15am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #66 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:16am
Print Post  
and Mazinger Z: giant Iron Man, or one man Voltron. And the purity of a hero's soul grants the powers of a mighty demon, forging a force to drive the damned back into the pits of hell! DEVILMAN!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #67 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
A big round of applause as we now rejoin our regularly scheduled thread topic....

A 6th Free Villain Bonus is now available at
http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/page7.html

This one comes to you from Dominique Sumner with art by Joe Singleton!
Thanks Dom! Cheesy

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #68 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Nice artwork!

What are the stats for the torpedoes?  And is an Assault Boat capable of firing them?
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:32pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #69 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:27pm:
Nice artwork!

What are the stats for the torpedoes?  And is an Assault Boat capable of firing them?

Yeah I agree. They didn't provide any info on the boat or crew.
Nice character and a welcome addition to my limited numbers of examples of V&V characters.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools

>