Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What Rules Confuse You? (Read 20963 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Re: What Rules Confuse You?
Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Hmmm...

I run Leaps like this:

Jump rate is carry capy (less carried items)÷100 inches per phase.
Jump duration is Carry Capy (less carried weight)÷characters weight.

So a V&V character weighing 200 lbs and having all basic characteristics being 15 can jump 5"/phase, and can remain in the air for 2 phases with a running start of at least 1". So with a running start he can jump 10 inches. From a standing start he can jump 5 inches. He can also jump due up 3" (1/2 his standing jump distance rounded).
He must then make a save vs Agility on 1d20 to land in the right spot.
On the way back to the ground (if he did not land on a ledge or grab something when he jumped up) he his velocity per turn would be 15 x his  jumping rate, or per phase (or 75"/turn in this case, resulting in 1d8 damage).

I would also say that if the total distance jumped is equal to or less than the character's Agility, then he can make the save vs agility to avoid his AGL in damage from the 1d8 roll.

A semi-complex rule, but one that works. Works even better with a spreadsheet Smiley

The responses to this should be interesting...
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2015 at 3:26pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #36 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 3:33pm:
Very interesting (totally loving this conversation so far)Nicely played, Majestic... Nicely played. 

Thank you, sir.  I am enjoying this conversation, too.  I by no means think that any of us are doing things "right" or "wrong", it really comes down to interpretations on (sometimes vaguely written) rules.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #37 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 10:09pm:
Hmmm...

I run Leaps like this:

Jump rate is carry capy (less carried items)÷100 inches per phase.
Jump duration is Carry Capy (less carried weight)÷characters weight.

So a V&V character weighing 200 lbs and having all basic characteristics being 15 can jump 5"/phase, and can remain in the air for 2 phases with a running start of at least 1". So with a running start he can jump 10 inches. From a standing start he can jump 5 inches. He can also jump due up 3" (1/2 his standing jump distance rounded).
He must then make a save vs Agility on 1d20 to land in the right spot.
On the way back to the ground (if he did not land on a ledge or grab something when he jumped up) he his velocity per turn would be 15 x his  jumping rate, or per phase (or 75"/turn in this case, resulting in 1d8 damage).

I would also say that if the total distance jumped is equal to or less than the character's Agility, then he can make the save vs agility to avoid his AGL in damage from the 1d8 roll.

A semi-complex rule, but one that works. Works even better with a spreadsheet Smiley

The responses to this should be interesting...

Like Imaginos, I think this is another area that V&V got things wrong (though much of what they did was right).  That said, if people are going for more of an anime/wuxia feel, then having more exaggerated/powerful jumping rates might be more to your liking.  Part of the reason I don't like the RAW in this is because you break things down to incremental movement per phase, whereas in ordinary movement (even for speedsters), it's instantaneous.  It just felt weird to me to have somebody jump across the battlemat instantly, while the speedster who is 10x faster has to wait and practically teleports when it's his turn to move.

My method for doing Jumping is as I posted here.

Just as a point of comparison, and using the same stats as you did (200 lb. guy with nothing carried, all BCs/stats 15), for a Running Long Jump you get:

Ironnerd's method (and RAW): 10"

My method: 4"

Considering that the real-life world record is 6", they're both within reason, I suppose.

I worked up my formula so that it worked for an average person and then for an Olympic-level athlete, and then hopefully it scales up from there.  So we have super leaping characters (for instance, ones that have devoted a Speed Bonus to Jumping) who can do incredible leaps.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #38 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Majestic that's a nice house rule.

Interestingly, I have a similar view of movement.

When a character jumps, he is limited to how far he can travel in a phase. When he runs, that limit is not in place.

I actually think the leaping rule is okay (could use a bit of buffing, but I do think it's sound... and I do like a little more anime feel to my games). I think the issue is the movement rule is incomplete.

I have been saying for a long time that V&V is 47 pages of near-perfection, and some have taken that to mean that I would never ever (under any circumstances) want to update, alter, or revise the rules. The point I have failed to make (and one I think I have mentioned somewhere in this forum) is that a modern RPG of any kind will run 150+ pages. That's three times the size of V&V. I think V&V is very good, but I also think it is incomplete - why else would I have messed about with Attack of the Really Big Thing?

To my point - I think what may be needed is a mechanic that limits how far a character can travel in a phase. "Simply" put: Divide total movement per turn by the number of phases available to the character (keep fractions). For fractions of an inch of movement, Option A works like healing where the player rolls d% vs the fraction of an inch. If the roll is = or > the fraction of an inch, the character may move one additional inch. Option B is like inventing where the character uses the whole number of movement and carries the fraction to the next phase and adds it to that phases movement.

Back to leaping - The character can jump Carry capy ÷ 100 inches per phase. He can jump a number of phases equal to Cary Capy ÷ Bodily Weight OR equal to his Inches Per Phase jumping rate, whichever is SMALLER.

"A character may jump slower than his maximum speed at will, but the number of phases he is airborne (see below) cannot exceed his rate per phase; at least not in normal gravity."

The example in the rules is an average guy with a cary capy of 175. He can jump 1.75" per phase. Assuming this guy weighted 100 lbs, he could jump for 1.75 phases, traveling 3.5 (17.5 feet) inches total with a running start. Without a running start he can jump 1.75" (or 8.75 feet), which is impressive, but reasonable for game-play. He can jump vertically 0.875" (or 4.375 feet) - again pretty impressive, but not insane.

If the same dud weighed 200 lb, he could only jump for 0.875 phases. If he had a body power that made him very light - say 50 lbs, he could still only jump 1.75 phases because his phases airborne cannot exceed rate per phase.

Edited:
Odd thought... If a character leaps, and is in the air for more than one phase, do y'all charge the 2 power points for each action in a turn after the first?

sooo... easy right?

The nice thing is my players have never been jumpers... Only rarely have I had to employ Leaping or Falling rules, but my upcoming adventure features and flying "villain's lair", so falling may actually happen. I was thinking of putting in examples for leaping and falling in the adventure index.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2015 at 8:29am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #39 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:06pm:
To my point - I think what may be needed is a mechanic that limits how far a character can travel in a phase. "Simply" put: Divide total movement per turn by the number of phases available to the character (keep fractions). For fractions of an inch of movement, Option A works like healing where the player rolls d% vs the fraction of an inch. If the roll is = or > the fraction of an inch, the character may move one additional inch. Option B is like inventing where the character uses the whole number of movement and carries the fraction to the next phase and adds it to that phases movement.

My problem with this has always been that it penalizes players who move more/faster.  Let me give an example:

My character Crocodile is big and strong, and let's say he's got 75" of movement a turn, but with a low Agility he only moves once per turn.  He gets to move 75" on his turn, all at once, when he moves.

A more ordinary hero might have 56" of movement, but moves twice every turn.  He gets to move 28" each time.

And a very high Agility character, with 60" of movement and who moves three times in a turn, only gets to move 20" each time.

Part of the problem is - even doing it this way - a character gets instant acceleration, and can move at their maximum speed from a dead stop (better than the best high performance vehicle!)
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2015 at 5:37pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #40 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Majestic makes a good point about my movement mechanic. It does not address the issue of less-Agile characters who still have high movement rates. That lower agility means that the character will have fewer actions per turn.

I know a lot of people see the phases as a tiny segment of time where the only thing that happens is player "X" does whatever it is he does. I know this because of posts made by a few other members of this forum and others. It's a completely logical way to look at the game, but I don't agree with it (yeah... super shocking, I know).

I pose the following counter-idea: The reason for phases is to help players simulate the non-stop kind of action we see in comic books. If a character has a low agility and gets 1 phase per turn, it takes 15 seconds for him to accomplish his action. He doesn't stand around doing nothing for 14 seconds than burst into action in the last second, it's just that he does fewer things in a given span of time. Likewise, if a character has high Agility and gets 8 action phases per turn, he does not neatly move every other second, he's doing stuff throughout the entire turn, but due to his high Agility, he can do more things (but at the cost of power and movement).

Now, the really important thing to ask yourself is what would the in-game effect be if characters had to accelerate like normal people. I think it would be more realistic, but I think it would add more complexity than fun. I'm willing to give it a try though, I just don't think I'm the one to come up with the new mechanic. If anyone does have an improved movement mechanic, post it and I'll read it over. If it makes sense, I'll give it a shot. If not, I'll ask for clarification. Just keep in mind, I'll see it as a house rule.

Since we are beginning to wander away from the topic, I would guess we all have a pretty good handle automatic weapons,  jumping and falling (and even basic movement). So we'll head off to the next topic.

so... Grappling, Gravity Control, or "Blowing Shit Up"?

FYI
I'm fine with continuing on in with the movement rule, but think it may deserve its own thread.

Edited:
Added some content, and moved a few sentences around.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2015 at 8:36pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #41 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 2:50am
Print Post  
I'll admit I still haven't found a movement mechanic that feels 'right' yet.  In V&V it still often feels like everyone is "frozen in place" until their chance to act/move and I've always just written it off as the way the game works.

Perhaps something like Star Wars D6, where the characters can only physically move from one place to another once per turn (notice I didn't say "use Movement", as in V&V that means much more than just moving).  Or D&D 5E, where a character can move, act, and then move, provided they don't use more than their total movement allowance in a turn.

(shrugs)

[And I'm totally cool with moving things over to a 'Movement' thread, if that would be more appropriate]

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #42 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Characters can change facing direction when it is not their action phase at a cost of 2 Power Points. Evasion and some powers (most notably Heightened Defense) imply that the character continues to move slightly during their enemies' attack phases.

I could see that as a guide for house-ruling that a character could move one inch per phase out of turn at a cost of > 2 Power Points.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2015 at 11:26am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #43 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Edited:
Heh... Polar boy must have posted while I was writing this long reply Smiley As usual he has given me some serious food for thought.

It is a difficult mechanic to write into a game. It is interesting to see how different games by the same company handle movement.

I'll use FASA, since I have always enjoyed their games (even with the funky mechanics)

In Battletech initiative is rolled per side, not individual unit. The side that won initiative moves the last unit with teams alternate turns moving one unit, until all the units have been moved. Then all units attack in a similar manner (but reversed so that the team losing initiative attacks last). A 100 ton vehicle can go from max speed one turn to a full stop the next turn, and then full speed again in the third turn without any rolls being made.

In Mecwarrior (1st ans 2nd editions), the RPG for Battletech, each character gets only one opportunity to move per turn. Like Battletech, everyone moves, then everyone attacks, but in Mechwarrior each character rolls his own initiative rather than having "team intiative". By Third Edition this had become much more abstract (and fairly similar to Big Eyes, Small Mouth), where actual distances and ranges don't matter all that much.

In the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, movement is broken down into phases with total movement (and attacks) for each ship divided equally among the phases.

In the Star Trek RPG FASA used Mechwarrior-style movement.

Of these, the most interesting method is the one used in STCS. I could see it working as a V&V house rule, but one would have to drop the 2PR requirement for actions after the first, and apply it only if the character makes multiple attacks or moves more than 75% of his max movement in a single turn.

Off the top of my head, Acceleration could use the Jumping inches per phase as the initial acceleration (from a standing start, a character may move up to his jumping rate in the first phase), then double the jumping rate each following phase until the character reaches max speed.
1st Movement: jump Rate
2nd Movement: Jump x2
3rd Movement: Jump x4
4th Movement: Jump x8
etc...

If a character is cruising along at a rate equal to 2 times his jump rate, he would expend 2 power to accelerate.

Like I said... off the top of my head... could be total garbage.

To be honest, however, I have not noticed that movement has cause many issues in my games.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2015 at 4:41pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #44 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Great point, polarboy!

And yeah, I can't say I see movement as a huge problem in my games, either.  I don't find it to be ideal (it's a little wonky), but I typically handwave it away as somewhat clunky game mechanics that allow the game to move along at a decent pace.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Been lurking on this thread and am surprised at the diverse ways to handle movement.

I have always looked at movement divided across the turn. A turn is nothing more than 15 seconds divided into however many segments determined by initiative. Movement is a maximum distance in a turn, so simply divide the movement rate by the number of phases in that turn. Adjust the marker (this is where they really help) each phase as the character moves.  I handle all the NCs and make the players move their markers.  If they don't move, they haven't moved. This keeps even the low agility players involved for the whole phase and shows the battle scene evolving. I have even seen players lose track of bad guys and get flanked. They have no one to blame but themselves.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #46 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
It's so weird how the simple stuff is run so many different ways.

Going into this I figured Falling, Leaping, and Moving were gonna be short discussions.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #47 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
Been lurking on this thread and am surprised at the diverse ways to handle movement.

I have always looked at movement divided across the turn. A turn is nothing more than 15 seconds divided into however many segments determined by initiative. Movement is a maximum distance in a turn, so simply divide the movement rate by the number of phases in that turn. Adjust the marker (this is where they really help) each phase as the character moves.  I handle all the NCs and make the players move their markers.  If they don't move, they haven't moved. This keeps even the low agility players involved for the whole phase and shows the battle scene evolving. I have even seen players lose track of bad guys and get flanked. They have no one to blame but themselves.

. I love this.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

xhaosdaemon
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 25th, 2015 at 10:18am:
Quote:

. I love this.

I like this too and have been doing something similar in my PbP game. If someone is moving I divide how much they want to move in their action by 15 (the number of phases between attacks) and that is how much they move per phase. I think it is particularly useful with falling or someone trying to run/fly away. I feel that if I just allow the movement all *bam* on their action it is more like a limited teleportation.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:36pm by xhaosdaemon »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #49 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 6:51am
Print Post  
It is challenging sometimes to get players to understand what is really going on in a V&V turn. We all read comic books, which inspired the game, and we all accept that the action in a comic book takes place in the frames, and in between. For some weird reason, however, we tend to think that our character is frozen until his phase comes up, then he accomplishes a whole lot of stuff in about a second and freezes again.

As PolarBoy points out, the rules already imply that between phases a character is actually doing "something"; maybe evading, defending himself, spinning about to face an attacker, snappy banter/witty repartee, falling, leaping, etc...

Klystron and xhaosdaemon appear to have a solid grip on the concept.

This may not have gone where I thought it would go, but I'm having a great time just "chatting rules" with you'se guys.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jul 25th, 2015 at 10:18am:
. I love this.

Thanks, John.  Glad you found it useful.

So, the RAW provides a simple rounded formula for falling. It's simple and close to reality but leaves too much out. I use a conversion chart that shows how many seconds a fall lasts for any given elevation (up to 60 seconds of falling), how fast the falling object is travelling at impact in both miles per hour and inches per turn, how much damage is incurred from the acceleration due to the fall alone and how long a human/humanoid falls for a given elevation at terminal velocity. You have to add the damage from the mass of the object from the brawling weapons table to get the whole amount at impact.  This is one of the sheets I have pinned to my GM screen.

This chart is also helpful when a PC or NPC attempts to intercept a falling teammate or enemy.

Falling_Conversions.pdf ( 14 KB | 13 Downloads )

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #51 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 11:32am
Print Post  
That's it??? That's all the stuff that confounds ya'll?

I know there must be more.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #52 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 2:39am
Print Post  
How do you manage the possibility to fly with weather control (like Storm Does)?
the speed, the maximum weight etc..

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Merteuil,

Your question got me thinking, as I have never had to GM for a or play with a character with weather control.

Thinking through the parameters of flight, here's what I would do:

Carrying capacity I would leave as what ever the RAW indicate but penalize the character down to half at 1st level. I would then allow the character to gain full carrying capacity by level 5, providing they are training in the use of that power. My reasoning is thus: Storm had some trouble controlling her flight ability early on and, since what we are talking about here is being pushed aloft by wind, the variables would take a little time to learn fine control.

Max speed would be dependent on the type of weather summoned as per the RAW. This is figured in straight line winds. So, if a player can change the weather from what it is to a hurricane, they would be able to fly as hurricane wind speeds.  I would give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to hit the maximum recorded hurricane winds (they are Heroes after all) but never get to tornado wind speeds unless flying in a circle.  Bottom line, about 250 miles per hour at max.

Using this logic, hovering and slow flight would be even harder than all out fast. Like balancing on a bicycle, it is easier to do when you are moving than when standing still or barely moving.

As I said, I have no game experience with this one but this is how I would work it out with a player who wanted weather control and see how it worked.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #54 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Actually, my new player group has a guy with weather control who flies by riding around on a little cloud. Since it's wind driven, I figured 120 mph max would be within the realm of comic-book-realism. Besides, it was an invented ability, so any faster than a Cessna 172 seemed too fast, and 120 MPH allows him to get someplace quickly, but also allows him to spend more inventing and training to get the little cloud to go faster. Of course, with his BC's he would fly a lot faster with "Flight". Again, it was an invention, so I limited the power (it takes a while to form the cloud, he can fall off, etc...).

With Storm, I would say she actually has "Flight". In the beginning she had "Low Self Control", meaning she had difficulty controller her flight abilities.

As for Carry Capy, that depends upon the kind of flight we are talking about. Superman flight is different from Storm flight, Dr. Fate flight (which is a spell), or even Iron Man flight (which is a device). You need to look into the character so see what suits him best.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #55 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
thank you for your responses !

for me a PC who has weather control does not fly per se, but can lift or be lifted by the wind(s), which allows not a flight as fast (at the start) nor accurate as the one with the real flight capacity.
Quote:
Using this logic, hovering and slow flight would be even harder than all out fast. Like balancing on a bicycle, it is easier to do when you are moving than when standing still or barely moving.

I agree and in fact, it reminds me of the Class of flight (A, B, C, D, E) in first AD&D DMG.Class A is the more maneuverable and Class E the less maneuverable. I would say a PC with flight is a Class A and a PC with Weather control a Class E. And i think it's not easy to make that difference in V&V  Sad

@ Ironnerd : for the CC i was still talking about Weather Control.
I would say the CC depends on the winds rather than the CC calculated and recorded on the record character sheet but there is nothing precise in the RAW about it.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2015 at 3:13pm by merteuil »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #56 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
There is nothing precise in the RAW about CC with Weather control. I would have to say with WX Control (especially) total CC is a wildcard. It all depends on how much wind the character can generate. It may also depend upon his costume since a "Flying Squirrel" costume would catch more air than standard spandex. I don't think the flying CC should exceed the normal CC since in the case of WX Control, the character is still basically carrying the load.

For this rule, I think some examples would be better than another rule. There are just too many variables to this kind of flight. As soon as you think you have it all pinned down, some guy is going to ask "What if I attach parachutes to the load?" or "What if BubbleMan surrounds the load in a big sphere to provide more surface area for the wind to push against?". When you have really broad rules, all this stuff becomes possible. I don't really want to dig up the "Lifted by Bubble" table to see if the 675 lb load can be lifted by a 10 foot diameter bubble riding a 37 mph updraft. But I WOULD like to see the maximum wind speed a character with WX power can generate (I would say equal to his move rate for simplicity).

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Sep 12th, 2015 at 11:06pm:
But I WOULD like to see the maximum wind speed a character with WX power can generate (I would say equal to his move rate for simplicity).

Ironnerd,

I like the way you’re thinking here and I don’t think movement will cover it.

Using a character’s movement rate would often not produce enough wind speed to cover flight through WX control.  Ussein Bolt, the fastest normal human alive, can only run at 28 MPH (123”/turn).  That’s an annoying sustained wind speed to walk in but perfectly manageable and does not usually knock most people over let alone carry them into the air. A speed of 80 MPH (352”/turn) makes it nearly impossible to stand so I would pick 100 MPH (440”/turn) as the starting point for flight using WX control.  If we use movement as the highest wind speeds a character can generate, flight is impossible.

If a character is carried aloft by the winds they generate, those winds must come from below and push the character into the air. This would be a reverse effect similar to a helicopter downdraft. Reasonably then, when taking off or landing, the character should be pelted by anything of smaller mass close enough to be caught in the vortex.  Dirt, litter, small rocks, park benches, children, etc.

Forward or backward flight would be achieved by vectoring those winds to (a) hold the character aloft and (b) move them in the desired direction. Since most of the effort would be to keep them in the air, movement would be severely hampered, which is why rotary-wing aircraft will never approach the airspeeds of fixed-wing aircraft but can do things the fast movers only dream of.

I also think the effect would be very disruptive to characters who have normal flight and especially to those who fly with wings. Going from calm winds to 250 MPH and back to calm would produce some spastic but amusing results.

Flight by weather control seems to be one of the things we are stuck with, since it is canon by the comics we seek to emulate, so we have to figure another way around it and make it reasonable. That is why I favor using the accepted wind speeds from the meteorological events the character can produce. Wind speeds up to 250 MPH (1,100”/turn) for hurricanes and 320 MPH (1,408”/turn) or so for tornadoes.

I agree with you about carrying capacity.  It should never exceed a characters norm, since the character is carrying the load. A “Flying Squirrel” costume would certainly help flight as it catches wind, like the flying suits jumpers use to achieve high lateral ground speeds when parachuting or those used in the vertical wind tunnels that simulate free fall.

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #58 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I also think the effect would be very disruptive to characters who have normal flight and especially to those who fly with wings.

I totally agree

I think you're right about CC, and it makes me realize that i was not clear  Huh
In fact when i asked about CC it was in terms of extra PC(s) lifted by the wind. How many more (N)PCs can be carried by those winds ? Maybe it should be dealt through the power level

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #59 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Gads and Yay verily!!! I did not think that through very well.

Merteuil - The wind is the wind, it does not care how many people it lifts, boats it moves, or trees it knocks down. If it takes a 200 mph wind to lift a human, then all humans in the area of the wind would be lifted. They might not go where they want to go, and the area of the wind may be linked to the character's Power, BC's, or level. It is certainly something interesting to ponder.

Klystron - Agreed! Movement speed is not enough. Using the meteorological definitions of the weather events would be the wisest course of action.

Makes me wonder about using Wind Shear against characters flying with "Wings" (evil chuckle)

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Merteuil,

I was going to post something similar to Ironnerd's response but got distracted when She Who Must Be Obeyed (my lovely bride) decided I had something far more important to do.

He is spot on, the wind is the wind and there is plenty to go around. I think you are right and it would depend on the PR drain for the use of the power each time. That is the fairest way to go. The larger the area affected and the larger the difference between what the weather is and what the character wants to do determines the PR, so that is something you have to work out ahead of time as GM, even if you don't share it with the player until the time comes. That would add a little tension to combat if that is where it happens. I would also consider a save against either Int or AG or maybe both when trying to lift a group of objects, especially at first. Controlling a bunch of separate objects is much more difficult than controlling one. Like juggling three or four balls is more difficult than tossing one in the air and catching it.

In my experience, players tend to overestimate their powers so reigning them in once in a while adds realism to the role play.

Also, in rethinking my original post on carrying capacity, I think the player should be able to lift well more than their stated capacity in these terms but might even suffer a bit when trying to carry an object by hand. The added load would make flying harder to achieve due to the added mass. The aerodynamic properties of the object would play a large part in whether or not it can be lifted by wind.

Ironnerd wrote on Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:03pm:
Makes me wonder about using Wind Shear against characters flying with "Wings"

That would be underhanded, unexpected, dastardly and otherwise not nice.  I like it and heartily approve. Grin

It would also work on all characters with flight. I always imagined flying takes some level of concentration, even if it is as unconscious as walking once the character is very experienced. There is no reason why wind shear wouldn't affect Ironman or Johnny Storm just as readily as Angel. Perhaps the Hulk leaping or Thor being pulled along by Mjolnir might push through it because of relative mass and air resistance, but a huge invisible downdraft would be troublesome to just about every other flying character.

Make sure you add falling damage equivalent to the speed at which the character is traveling both laterally and vertically when they the ground if you do it!

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #61 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:03pm:
The wind is the wind, it does not care how many people it lifts, boats it moves, or trees it knocks down. If it takes a 200 mph wind to lift a human, then all humans in the area of the wind would be lifted.

I think you're wright, but i remember some
episodes of the X-men where Ororo could not lift everybody. That's why i was searching for a formula with level, PR etc..

Quote:
Controlling a bunch of separate objects is much more difficult than controlling one.

Good point.
It deserves some saves against AG and/or INT as you said

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #62 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 12:06am
Print Post  
To me, Weather Control isn't Flight or Telekinesis.

If someone has Weather Control but doesn't have flight, then I let them move at normal speed by essentially hovering/walking on air as long as they spend an action per turn to manipulate the winds. No PR, it just requires vigilance because the winds are powerful, but fickle.

Fine manipulation like telekinesis isn't possible with the wind, although large objects can be moved with a tornado or a hurricanes.

That's how I roll.

RAMBLE 

IP Logged

merteuil
Teen Titan

Reply #63 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Ok, thank you !

And do you let use Weather Control Indoor too ?
I'm reading a lot of  X-Men complete book at the moment and i see ororo using her powers indoor many times. For me it's a bit peculiar.

then i promise, i will not bored you with that power...
until next time  Tongue

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #64 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I let characters use Weather Control indoors... but so much depends on the air mass and moisture content you're working with. If you're fighting in a house... your options are pretty limited unless the tap is running, the window or door is open, or it's dry in the house. If the tap is running, our Weather Controller can make fog, then rain, or snow. If they can get a door open then they can access the wind, but it's weaker in the house. Open up another window and you can have a current and now you can start to really manipulate the wind. Dry houses are easier to generate static and lightning in, but rain, snow ice and fog? Not so much.

Big, wet caverns with lots of openings to the air? Weather Control works essentially unchanged. Space station? Air and moisture are so carefully controlled and managed, your powers really hard to use unless you're in a large area.

In my game, Weather Control is all about location, location, location. And that means that even though it's a big, impressive power, an opponent can beat you down if you aren't careful.

That's how I roll.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #65 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
NPC creation: more precisely the "Level of the Highest Level Player-Character Yet Obtained" board (page 30).
When you roll 4d6, is the appropriate number associated to the roll's result the number of training points rolls?

Because otherwise i don't get what they're for.

It's really poorly explained

P.S. i'm referring to 1981's rulebook
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2015 at 5:47pm by Razor_Fangs »  

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

80sGamerGeek
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #66 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Razor_Fangs wrote on Oct 27th, 2015 at 5:46pm:
NPC creation: more precisely the "Level of the Highest Level Player-Character Yet Obtained" board (page 30).
When you roll 4d6, is the appropriate number associated to the roll's result the number of training points rolls?

Because otherwise i don't get what they're for.

It's really poorly explained

P.S. i'm referring to 1981's rulebook

It determines the NPC's experience level.  He then gets one roll on the Training bonus table for every experience level above one.

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #67 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Ok if i got That straight i'm full of lvl21 NPCs @____@

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #68 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I guess that's possible...

What level is your highest Player-Character - and what kind of rolls did you make?

A level 21 NPC does not even show up on the chart until you have PC's at 12 (unless you rolled a lot of 24's on 4d6 - 0.8% chance)

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #69 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 7:49pm:
I guess that's possible...

What level is your highest Player-Character - and what kind of rolls did you make?

A level 21 NPC does not even show up on the chart until you have PC's at 12 (unless you rolled a lot of 24's on 4d6 - 0.8% chance)

I rolled 21 something like four times, the indicated number was 15.

But still!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools

>