Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) General Discussion (Read 107775 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: General Discussion
Reply #315 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:44am:
V&V doesn't have lethal killing damage except for DeathTouch and that doesn't work half the time

One exception to this is Gravity Control.  Using the RAW, a character can quite easily kill by using the 'negative Gs' option.  The reason is that it ends up simulating falling, which can be very lethal in V&V.  I've seen this used by two different players before.

Another thing to watch out for is Devitalization Ray.  Even a single hit or two can soften up a target (reducing their Power score) enough that a single (ordinary) blast or hit can end up killing.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #316 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
How did I KNOW Ranger would have nothing but criticism and nay-say to post? 

I really don’t have to answer any of this foolishness… but out of respect to the other players who may have similar questions {though likely more politely worded} I’ll address your points with my reasons and the concept I have NEVER changed for Thunderbolt {nor will}, one by one… I’ll address your rant at the end…

Lethality.
I’m not talking about stun and body.. I’m talking about maximum damage potential. 
Lightning Bolt for Electrical control does 2d8 damage plus damage mod on a 15- attack roll.  A pistol inflicts only 1d8 + Damage mod on a 5- attack roll.  There is not difference other than ‘flavor’ between one hand gun or another if it’s not a special item or a gadget… they ALL inflict 1d8.  The difference is clear… lightning bolts are more dangerous.  Even the V&V system uses the Electrical control power to rate the damage of a thunderstorm’s lighting…. It equates them as the same.  A ‘real world’ lightning bolt is FAR more lethal than a pistol.. no matter how big its caliber!  THAT is what I’m proceeding on and so ‘seemingly’ is Dsummer.  As in evidenced with the incident in the blog when Thunderbolt tried to use a lightning bolt to subdue and enrgaged Boost-drugged teenager that was visiting his sister.  Thunderbolt darn near killed the kid with the single bolt!  I applauded Dsummer for the event because it gave me a chance to showcase how remorseful and self-recriminating Thunderbolt was about the whole matter and it just solidified his fear and respect for the power he wields to be more careful and have other options to subdue without unleashing the ‘lethal’ lightning.  A gun does not have additional elemental effects.  Lightning does not even need to strike the person only connect with something conductive that they happen to be touching!

You say a lightning bolt is not lethal in the V&V system to a teenager… well let’s analyze that…
You average teenager is let’s say 100lbs, they are not full grown likely weaker than a full adult… but not by much so let’s give them STR 8, END 11 {kids always have more energy than they need}, AGL 10 {being a teenager your awkward but damned flexible}, INT 7 {and they think they know everything}!

So that’s hp 1.44… we’ll be generous and go with 2, PR 36, MV 27”.
So.. we see this is just not true... the ‘average’ damage for a 2d8 roll is 9 points of damage, with a maximum of 16!  On average... a teenager is knock unconscious and taking power damage receiving 3 to 4 times his total hit points in a single shot even IF the poor kid ‘rolls with the blow’, he is STILL unconscious and STILL taking 2 to 3 times his hit point total in a single hit!  I know some GM’s like to inflict wounds for taking more than you total hit point in a single hit… but that house rules, which Dsummer in the same situation put the teenager into cardiac arrest! Well done made sense!  Regardless my point is still valid. Lightning bolts are deadly.

Now devil’s advocate here… a pistol {doesn’t matter what fancy name put to it is} inflicts 1d8 damage.  That’s an average of 4.5 so yeah the kid is still taking twice his hit points in one blow.. but.. if he is aware of the attack rolling with the blow.. he might still be conscious, and a far less chance of any additional elemental effect like getting shocked and going into cardiac arrest!  BIG Difference! 

Take your five back fella, and respect electricity!

To note... Thunderbolt’s Fists inflict 1d8 damage, but he can’t shot his fist at a distance.

Now the real question…  Why does Thunderbolt carry weapons and a gun when he has powers?
Valid point ... consider his background.  Thunderbolt comes from the mean streets in a not really all that nice party of Empire City.  Gangs and criminal cartels are a way of life around him.  It’s worse for people who just don’t want to get involved in any of the underworld cause then.. they have no back up not one looking out for them and the cops are not necessarily friends of a young African-American teenage boy trying to grow up in that environment and stay ‘clean’.  Thunderbolt thinks like a kid from the hood.  You don’t go out without being ready to defend yourself… be it knife, baseball bat, or a gun and you don’t Even need to be looking for trouble it can find you with all the random unfair violence of that environment.  So he is always trying to be prepared for whatever he may face, ‘punks out there have knives.. you make sure you have a gun.. you watch out for you and step lightly’!  But in a world of meta-humans, magic, super-tech and all the threats can be wildly varying!  Were he just a kid in the hood he’d only think in terms of packing heat and having a back-up plan... but when Thunderbolt put on the mask to take a stand with the understanding he may face super-villains he just modified and expanded on that entire mindset to keep up with the foes he’s likely to meet.  The Gun is not necessarily a weapon he intends to rely on but there are SOOOO many creative and unexpected ways to use a firearm that have nothing to do with shooting a foe.. but again his ‘street mentality’ is… “if you’re going to go look for trouble.. it’s stupid to not be packing heat”!

You compare him to Batman… that is not a very far off view of what he is… but Thunderbolt is not insane like the Dark Knight of Gotham!  Thunderbolt does indeed have issues.. he’s an abused child, with some anger issues.. but he’s recognizes that and is dealing with that - trying to become a better person.  He truly does want to help and the fact that he believes he has the power to make a difference.. drives him to try to use that power responsibly, but he is STILL a product of his social strata.  He thinks in terms of weapons and defenses and… “watch you own back cause no one else is!”  “Always being ready, cause someone out there … you don’t even need to know them, is looking for weakness in you… to knife or cap you to take what you have!  Don’t let them, be ready, don’t be weak, cause no one else will step up to help you when it happens!”

As for his thin lines for his Kyogetsu… you know.. I got more than 80’ft of line in the dental-floss holder!  The cables he is using are like the sail lines on modern sail boats the cables are tough, metal but don’t really weigh all that much, and it is ONLY 80ft of line.  To note… I intentionally rated his cables at only 1,000 lbs test strength… specifically so Thunderbolt could not lift his entire magnetic capacity of 1,700lbs on the cables without snapping them!  That seemed ‘gamey’.

Will Thunderbolt always be carrying his ‘arsenal’ of weapons?  Life is change… and characters that never change are boring charagtures so… I sincerely hope not!  But that is something that he should grow out of hopefully with time experience and his friends to get him to see things differently not like a never ending war of preparedness and mistrust.  It would be great to see that happen organically in game play… at least that is my hope.  Even the original Batman carried a gun… he does not anymore…

Trusting other heroes with his Identity.  Who is being paranoid here?  I’ll reiterate Thunderbolt has some not invalid trust issues with his background he started being a vigilante to protect his family from the drug dealers on the streets.  Most people do not stand up to such criminals cause they know what will happen when they do.. they STILL have to live in the neighborhood and face all the nasty things those kind of people {with all that drug money} do to people who make trouble for them!  A level of paranoia that his family might be targeted is justified.  Plus I’m sure that Machnist would agree… ‘What people don’t know.. they can’t reveal, even if tortured’!  Plus, how long in the venue of what we have played out have these characters even known each other?  Not long at all.. is it surprising that Thunderbolt is not ready to reveal all to the entire team?  Give it time.. let the team learn about each other a bit first before that. It just seems prudent!

As for trust... I was hoping that Diesel would return to play … it was not important in my post... but were he to have replied to my post about helping modify his Diesel armor, it was my intention to tell him that Thunderbolt would reveal his identity to him as he sort of must do the same when he comes out of his suit to let Thunderbolt help with any tweaking… fair is fair!  As Diesel would be taking a similar risk… revealing his identity to Thunderbolt.

But you skipped the point entirely, of course {your selective reasoning again}, that Thunderbolt was willing to trust Power Chord with his identity!  This is a fail-safe.. and a measure of trust extended for the safety of the group… and the public at large as well!  The leader of the team knows who Thunderbolt is and how to find him so if worse comes to worse and Thunderbolt …goes bad~ someone can get to him and stop him! 

Thunderbolt did this because… Power Chord REALLY impressed him!! He saw in him the “ideal hero” and felt from how Power Chord carried himself, how professionally he presented himself, without being judgmental to anyone he was a true hero… someone he could really trust!  He didn’t look at Thunderbolt and see a violent dangerous young black man with a lot of weapons and powers.. but a young man trying to make a difference to make a change for the better, trying to be a better person… to help others… totally out of regard for his own safety or needs.  THAT told Thunderbolt he had someone he could trust to STOP him if he ever got out of hand… a fail-safe.  As Thunderbolt would rather be dead than turn into the thing he is fighting against…those who abuse power and wealth to take advantage of or callously ruin or end the lives of others for their own benefit!
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:56pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #317 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Now the harness… really, you going to make an issue of that?  For one thing... I don’t know who all is going to be playing this game.  Slik Slander had no movement powers, neither does Diesel, Ghost had no movement powers.
Stalker, Machinist, and Silver Hawk… either have movement powers or have sufficient metal on them anyways that IF they needed to be moved and they wanted to be moved… Thunderbolt could assist without using a tool to pick them up.  That truly is the only reason I even suggested it! Not some power trip thing {where do you get your ideas?}, it was just me the player trying to be a team player and give everyone the ability to gain the benefits of Thunderbolt’s powers.  Maybe YOU should consider being more of a team player yourself?  I, as a player, would NEVER use an in-game special effect to move some other player’s character against their will or without asking for their permission first.. that’s just polite gaming!!!

Now… Your Rant.

Ranger. Troll somewhere else!  Its clear you do not like my character or my play style… big deal!  Its not about to change for you.  Thunderbolt was approved by Dsummer and I have always left it open for him to have me modify whatever he did not think was appropriate.  I have had several discussions with him about what he will allow and what HE thinks is In-theme with the character as presented.  I took a randomly rolled character and crafted a storyand a outlook for the character to taking into account the somewhat odd juxtaposition of powers and abilities to make an interesting character.  Its safe to say.. Thunderbolt is my most unique of characters I’m ever put to together.  Is he a little dark?  Yes.  Is he straight four color?  No.  But does that make him any less of a valid hero concept or mean he has any less chance to become something greater than his history? No. Thunderbolt has been the same for the five years he’s been posted here for Dsummer.  If you have a problem with my character take it up with Dsummer… if not, leave the game!  Protectors of Empire City was running well before you joined it will run well after you leave... but I’m tired of hearing all your negativity and BS.  If there is anyone being obnoxious its YOU!

To everyone else … and the site moderators I truly do apologize.  It was not my intention to ARGUE with a troll over pointless bickering... but I really have had enough is Ranger’s sarcasm and snarky commentary he seems obliged to post in response to everything I post!

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #318 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:36pm
Print Post  

I don't consider Batman to be insane.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2015 at 8:48pm by Hawk »  

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #319 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:55pm:
You compare him to Batman… that is not a very far off view of what he is… but Thunderbolt is not insane like the Dark Knight of Gotham!

I don't understand how Thunderbolt is like Batman. I don't get that from your character. Also how would you differentiate your characters sanity from Batman's supposed lack thereof. Your insight would be appreciated. Smiley

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #320 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
AHHH! Discussion and Dialogue!  Ok.. I'll post my reasoning's and views.. not that they are the ONLY way to view things.. but what I'm personally getting from the Batman persona and what I'm trying to 'somewhat' emulate in Thunderbolt. 

In truth.. I picture Thunderbolt more like Night Thrasher of the {sadly..sigh} defunct New Warriors!

I can't post just this moment.. but I will answer..and TRY to keep it to a manageable length! Smiley {no promises!}
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2015 at 10:12pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #321 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Sorry to have kept you waiting.. got busy playing Final Fantasy: A World Reborn..{sigh}.. oh our many addictions...

First let me state that there are levels of 'functional' insanity... Bruce/Batman has issues indeed; but he is mostly 'functional'.. its not in the day to day functions that his insanity reveals itself but in the long term direction focus and implementation of his life that his unhinged mind becomes apparent.

Batman's insanity... at least how I see it.  Bruce comes from a troubled and traumatic childhood.. his parents were killed before his very eyes in a brutal and violent way.  This has colored the man's life ever since.  It built within him a rage and hunger for vengeance... cleverly wrapped in a desire for justice {Bruce has directed his anger into a 'sort of' constructive direction} and an a never ending desire to get that one bad-guy he might have saved his parents from.  Anger is like digging a hole... the more effort you put into it... the bigger the hole gets.  It's never 'filled'.  Bruce/Batman fights crime and tells himself its to protect others to defend 'his' City.  Even in that he reveals 'his' city is not really his goal~ its payback, to hurt those criminals who hurt him and his family.  The problem is Bruse sees everyone who is stronger as a threat.. he is still that scare little boy who could do nothing to save his family.  So he turns that helplessness into a focus to hone his body and use his keen mind to never be helpless again.  To always have a plan or an angle.  This is not a bad thing an in itself not insane.. but the fact that he directs that preparedness against EVERYONE.. even people who are his 'friends'... like the Justice League, reveals his paranoia and obsessiveness.  Bruce HAS to be stronger than anyone else around him who 'might' be a threat!  Bruce/Batman says he fights a war on injustice to make the world a better place.. but his true intention ..perhaps not even realized by himself is to get back at a world that took from him, to never be that weak helpless boy ever again~ regardless of the circumstances!  This is not a war he thinks he can win but as a fight that HE will never end and never be satisfied with because he is STILL angry about the loss of his parents... at the world and MOSTLY at himself for being weak!  It is a self-perpetuating obsession that will give him no rest because he is forever stuck in that mindset.. 'Am I strong enough? Am I prepared enough? I MUST be ready, I MUST be STRONGER... the Criminals MUST PAY! There will ALWAYS be more Criminals.. what if "THEY" go Bad? I MUST be ready to deal with them as well!  I AM the NIGHT!'

This not a healthy mindset! Smiley
Bruce does not see a day that he will ever be satisfied to lay down the fight... he is a sore looser.

Thunderbolt.  Shawn also had a traumatic childhood.. in a different way from Bruce.  Bruce watched his parents die... Shawn watched his hero turn into something truly ugly.  Bruce's parents to him, at least, are forever the paragon parents they were taken from him as a child.  Shawn's mother died of cancer when he was about the same age as Bruce {not intentional by the way.. just figured I'd make him young when I originally wrote his history}..and he watched the death of his mother break his father... 'his hero' who was a honest, respectable, capable, celebrated police detective... and turn him into a an abusive, alcoholic, waste of a man!  Which tragedy is worse?  Shawn even still after years of alcohol rage-induced beatings by his father still cares for the man for what he was, his personal childhood hero who 'got the bad-guys'!  In all my posts I try to show how proud Shawn was of his father referring to his dad's investigative skills and honest cop reputation and his ANGER at how that 'childhood hero' has betrayed his expectations!  And yet... he still loves the man that was his father.  Shawn is also obsessed with 'getting the bad-guys'.  More out of a desire to prove his dad was better than all the corrupt cops running around now in Empire City he sees it as a mantle passed to him that his father surrendered.  But also as a expression of his rage and resentment for his mother dying on him and turning his family into a living nightmare.  Shawn has as yet to face the anger he feels at his mother.. and does not address it.. almost never mentioning her.  But he cannot deny her part in his life.. because of his teenaged sister 'Sarah'... who is his mother's splitting image.  Sarah was too young to remember what her mother really looked like she was like 3 or 4 when she died.  Shawn has spent most of his childhood intentionally being the focus of his father's alcoholic rages to protect his sister from being hurt. Even Shawn's father... though not the man he used to be, sees his lost wife in young Sarah as well and thus far has consciously or otherwise reserved his rages and child-abusing tendencies to Shawn.  This has been the case for years... Shawn is no longer a child but an adult.. though young more than a match to defend himself... and it has shaped the person he is.  He also sees the world as a fight in which the weak are hurt and only the strong prevail.  The difference is that Shawn see what he does as making a difference for those he is protecting.. as all his childhood he has been doing just that... protecting his sister Sarah from his dad.  He knows what its like to fight some one more powerful than he is and directs his efforts toward always being ready armed or otherwise to deal with a stronger foe.. realizing that what works once.. may not work again {as a child might fool an abusive parent once and avoid a beating.. but the parent is an adult and seeing through child-like deceptions is what adults do well} so Shawn keeps 'options' always available.

Shawn barring his super-powers had he never gained them .. likely would have become a street vigilante anyways; again looking to make a difference to protect the innocent.

Shawn tries to be prepared for many different circumstances... he does not need the huge arsenal of gadgets and devices that Bruce has because Shawn has powers but he does carry a staple of toys that allow him to utilize his powers in a very fluid and adaptable fashion.

The difference between Shawn and Bruce is... Shawn knows there are people who are not potential enemies!  This is not about trust its about obsession... in Bruce's case.  Shawn would never try to plan out how to defeat all the super powered heroes he has contact with... 'Why?  They're the good guys?' Shawn naively believes.. he CAN win the war on crime!  And Shawn does not see himself as forever doing this.. he has the power to make a difference and he will always try to help those he sees in need {with great power comes great responsibility} but he does not feel driven or obsessed to fight to prove something either to others or to himself.  He fights to protect those he loves and to make a change for the better for others, somedays he is just content to break even.  But he does not see himself doing this forever.. he would like to have a family, to settle down someday... after he has cleaned things up a bit for honest hard working folks.

Now these are by no means the ONLY way to view the 'Bat' or the 'Bolt'.. but its what I'm taking from the Batman.. are they both heros? Yes.  And they BOTH have issues... lol!

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #322 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:32pm:
Okay people, here's the deal. I'm hoping that by the end of the month I'll finally get to the point where I can commit to getting this game up and running again, but with that said, if I do, I'm going to have to make a few changes in the way I run things. I'll get with your guys and let you know what some time next week.

Until then, if you're still interested in playing, go back re-read over this material, take some notes, ask some questions, and if you feel like posting some fiction, feel free.

Interested and current on the postings.  Very Exciting!

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #323 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Mar 18th, 2015 at 1:53pm:
Okay people, here's the deal. I'm hoping that by the end of the month I'll finally get to the point where I can commit to getting this game up and running again, but with that said, if I do, I'm going to have to make a few changes in the way I run things. I'll get with your guys and let you know what some time next week.

Until then, if you're still interested in playing, go back re-read over this material, take some notes, ask some questions, and if you feel like posting some fiction, feel free.

Interested and current on the postings.  Very Exciting!

Glad to hear your still with us Hammer!  Wish Jack Frost could return.. never got to role-play with him.. liked his character a lot.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #324 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Okay my Muse is missing and I need a creative jump start .... So I'm wondering how we can tie this ...

Into this ...
dsumner wrote on Jul 24th, 2014 at 8:46am:
I think I can come up with a fun way to restart/reboot his powers.

Cool I've talked to Hawk and Avatar about knocking heads but been drained of energy due to work, physical and legal issues.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2015 at 2:09am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #325 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Hmmm.. how about this Ranger...

The Center for Observation Research and Exploration in conjunction with JPL has designed a prototype 'Pin-hole' Jump Drive for their new FarStep TransAt Space Plane.  A Top Secret FTL Transit drive... and as pilot's go Captain Jason Rollins is one of the best.

However, what they are not saying is they have lost three pilots of this experiment already... not the plane mind you, the pilots.  The reason being the 'Pin-hole' drive is a practical application of the 'Pin Hole' effect they produced in their experiments... and are still trying to close... but a modification allows them to build a device that 'blinks' the hole allowing transit through what they believe is a strata subspace with dimensions far different than our native 3 dimensional space.  It allows rapid cometerious travel on our universe by side-stepping through Subspace.

What they don't realize is that strata of subspace is inhabited by malevolent energy beings that have tried to invade our reality before by possessing 'the solids' to relish the sensations..both positive and frequently negative that being physical affords them cause sensation as we feel it is unknown to them.  Problem is .. such possession slowly or rapidly kills such 'solid creatures'... how wonderful we have such a large supply!

Also the 'Pin-hole' has not gone undetected by other extraterrestrial sentiences.  The meteor shower was not just a cover for one alien vessel landing but several, as well as a scattering of probes to locate the 'Pin-Hole'; as there is a race out there that has dealt with the Energy beings and knows them for the 'Cancer' in our universe that they truly are!  One of their hunting fleets detected the 'Pin-Hole' the C.O.R.E. research team made and detached a flotilla to investigate and deal with the problem... depending upon how wide spread the 'Infestation' has spread.. they are authorized to use whatever means... up to continental-wide sterilization!

They have landed and been searching in several teams for the infestation... as it seems this time the Energy Beings are trying to be subtle.  But they narrowed it down to the North Hemisphere of the Americas.  So Jonesville is NOT the only small town in USA where people have gone mysteriously missing.. the Aliens are searching for the Energy Being infestation.

But there is another sinister aspect of the Alien's arrival, as you can bet its not all altruistic as they have made no 'official' contact with any government on the plant to stop this crisis.  A faction of their scientific hierarchy has taken an interest in Humanity and has determined 'Humans' could potentially be a resource to them... and all the dark things THAT implies.  Hence the recent deaths of young women in Empire City... they are being found naked and no signs of struggle.. all in good health.  What's not being said is they are found with their skin turned transparent and their inner organs mishappen as if some bizarre transformation were being done to them... plus.. their ovaries are missing but there are no signs of surgical removal.  Creepy?

Well BACK to the Important part.. RAMPART'S Powers... Captain Jason Rollins is called to test the new plane.. {after all the energy beings in control of the facility already want to be able to open pin holes other places why not see if this man who has survived a similar event can make that possible}.

But when Jason is performing the test flight ... the Aliens detect the spinning up pin-hole drive and the facility and attack.  The Protectors are called in, who were graciously all invited as 'friends' of the good Captain Rollins and super heroes to help if something goes wrong~ {not really.. the energy beings in control of the C.O.R.E. facility want to see if meta-humans are just as easy to possess and what sensations their powers will provide}.

Well a battle royal breaks out and in the fighting Jason discovers the meticulously stored wreckage of his F-16 in the C.O.R.E. labs.  They have been experimenting on that wreckage since he vanished trying to replicate the micro pin-hole that transported him through time.  The micro-pin hole was nothing of the sort.. but the Energy Beings trying on their own to poke through to our world... places of great turmoil and conflict.. such emotions draw their attention.
The Korean war being only one of the times they tried to come through. 

But something the Energy being don't know is sometimes when they try this .. try to possess a 'Solid' and ground themselves in our reality... the opposite happens.  They infuse their energy essance upon an individual... assuming they survive to tidal and dimensional energies releasd in such a forceful crossing.. but the solid is in possession of the energy and the Energy being's consciousness is lost... such infused 'solids' often go mad, or are killed out-right.. but sometimes.. they become something more than either men or energy being.. they become Super Human.. Like Rollings did.

Jason finding his wreaked F-16 seeks out the Pin-Hole and in a battle royal where the Protectors fight the energy beings and the Aliens, Jason Rollins is exposed to the 'Pin-hole' again and it jump-starts his powers again.  The cancer he was mildly experiencing is what happens eventually to any 'solids' that are possessed by the energy beings.

----

The problem with my story is that it will take some time to complete a whole adventure about getting Jason his powers back.  Plus it kinda pins down the origin of his powers ..  which you might want to be different?  I've read your Journal as Rollins and the way you portray it; it has to be some pretty detailed reason WHY his powers come back... or it just would seem too 'Deus Ex Machina'.. which is cheesy. For it to be worthy of superheoric drama it can't be something easily done in a afternoon.. or it would cheapen the whole story.  At least that's how the comic reader in me sees it.  Heroes loosing powers and regaining them should be epic!  Plus my idea might be a bit too all inclusive and convoluted for your liking.

But this is just off the top of my head.. use it as an Idea Farm for whatever you decide.  Or leave it to Dom, he says he has an idea or two! Smiley

But that really does beg for an answer to how the conflict with the aliens resolved itself out there Dom! Smiley {no criticism.. just playful chiding!}
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2015 at 8:14am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #326 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Mar 21st, 2015 at 8:02am:
Hmmm.. how about this Ranger...

[edit by Ranger ... a bunch, and I mean a bunch of stuff  Wink]

But this is just off the top of my head.. use it as an Idea Farm for whatever you decide.  Or leave it to Dom, he says he has an idea or two! Smiley

Okay wow. My head exploded about the second paragraph. Next time maybe the "Origin ReBoot for Dummies" version if you don't mind. Dude that was a lot of stuff.

I appreciate the uhm vigorous input. Initial impression is some potential there. I'm sure Dom appreciates how well versed you are on the Empire Universe. You did an admirable job of tying in various elements from his Handbook and Rollins Journal.

Let's see what Dom thinks when he's ready to start things up again. It is definitely worth farming even if it ends totally different as I'm still Museless at the moment. Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2015 at 7:49pm by Ranger »  

IP Logged

MegaSilver
Sidekick

Reply #327 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
If you guys ever do start up an online game again, please let me know! I really want to play in another game. Thanks.

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #328 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
T-bolt, thanks for the input, and yes CORE does play into the idea I have for jumpstarting Rampart's powers. But, if the two of you are game, I play around a bit with your idea, so let me know.

Megasilver, I'll get with you before the game kicks off to work out some details. Until then, feel free to read over this stuff, talk with the rest of the crew, and get a "feel" for Empire city.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #329 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Hey Dsummer.. as I said.. all of that was just "off the top of my head".. steal or modify ANY of it in anyway you decide that works for you AND Ranger.  I just want it to be cool and good story.. however it comes out! Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

MegaSilver
Sidekick

Reply #330 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 9:35pm:
Megasilver, I'll get with you before the game kicks off to work out some details. Until then, feel free to read over this stuff, talk with the rest of the crew, and get a "feel" for Empire city.

Awesome! Will do.

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #331 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
MegaSilver wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 11:26pm:
dsumner wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 9:35pm:

Awesome! Will do.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us.  Smiley
I am wondering how many of the old group are coming back? If any of you know, please tell me. Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #332 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Okay gents, some time in the next few weeks, I'll be getting with you guys one on one, and figuring out any changes/tinkering you want to do with your characters. Until, I'll create a new thread where you all can't banter back and forth, and work a few things out amongst yourselves.

YIM  
IP Logged

MegaSilver
Sidekick

Reply #333 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Based on the Important Topics section, namely the Character Creations page, it looks like you've made a lot of changes from the rulebook. Of course, being a GM myself, I've done minor tweaks. I'll probably have some questions during the character creating process.

Either I can create one at random, or I can create one based on my own preferences, correct? (Within your framework, of  course.)

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #334 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 12:22am
Print Post  
So.. just curious MegaSilver.. what kind of character you thinking on making?

Super powered, super skilled, super-tech?

Four color, Iron Age, or street gritty?

Male, female... or otherwise?

A native to Empire City or a new arrival?

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #335 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Just to give you guys a heads up, I started working on a cleaned up character creation document, that I hope to have ready by next weekend. I'll post it for you guys to read over once I do.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #336 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Meanwhile I'll go re-read the CORE material to have it in mind when your ready to reboot Captain Rollins Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #337 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Ranger wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 2:22pm:
Meanwhile I'll go re-read the CORE material to have it in mind when your ready to reboot Captain Rollins Smiley

As a trip through a time activated your powers the first time, a little extra-dimensional energy ought to do the trick again.  Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

MegaSilver
Sidekick

Reply #338 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Thunderbolt wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 12:22am:
So.. just curious MegaSilver.. what kind of character you thinking on making?

Super powered, super skilled, super-tech?

Four color, Iron Age, or street gritty?

Male, female... or otherwise?

A native to Empire City or a new arrival?

I'm not sure yet on the first. Depends on how my d100 rolls come up during Character Creation. :lol:

I'm not even sure what those first two are describing.

Male, for sure, since I'm a dude. :p

Most likely a new arrival, so it would explain why I wouldn't be quite sure where everything was at or what exactly's going on! hahahahahah.

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #339 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 12:28am
Print Post  
lol.  Four-Color meaning classic comic book code hero {superman, spiderman, captain america}.  Iron Age would refer to darker heroes... {like wolverine, punisher, perhaps batman}.

Street gritty is more of the realistic brutal kind of heroes... {Kick-Ass, The Authority, Dirty Harry, Riddick}.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #340 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
1986 -1996 the decade of deviant over the top sex violence and garish pouch wearing no-feet vigilantes. Where is selective amnesia when you need it Smiley

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #341 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
you a so right Ranger Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2015 at 3:29pm by Dr.Demented »  
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #342 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I'm definitely in!  And I gotta say, holy smokes off the top of your head... jeez, I've played in campaigns that didn't have that kind of detail. Smiley  I mean I realize we've got Dom's world to play in, but wow.

Welcome Megasilver!
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:35pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

MegaSilver
Sidekick

Reply #343 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Now just waiting for the game to start up. Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #344 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I'm here! (or I should say, Diesel is here!)

T-bolt can help Diesel with his armor as long as it doesn't interfere with him boosting his strength. barely being able to catch a helicopter convinced him he needed a little more "oomph"

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #345 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 15th, 2015 at 3:55pm:
I'm here! (or I should say, Diesel is here!)

T-bolt can help Diesel with his armor as long as it doesn't interfere with him boosting his strength. barely being able to catch a helicopter convinced him he needed a little more "oomph"

Wellll.. then...! First great to hear from you Diesel.. and for the record.. I really liked your first posted pic of him the most! Very kinda clermont! Smiley

So first of all boosting Diesel's Strength was not something Thunderbolt considered.. BUT..that said ... with Thunderbolt.. er.. Shawn's help developing a set of 'joint' servo motors powered by some powerful capacitors which  Shawn's - electro/magnetic control power make possible to construct having a series of these capacitors could be used to give him boosted strength for a limited duration.. basically charges. 

Now Game statwise it could be Heightened Strength A or B with charges.. rolled randomly everytime he used a charge with the cost of an invention point?

Now for a permanent boost... we could 'negotiate' a series of joint Diesel & Shawn characteristic saves on mechanics with Dsummer to 'redesign' the suit's steam powered hydraulics servos for more effiecency.

Currently Diesel is...

2. Armor B {Technological} = ADR 114, SR 11 - Three abilities
+ 3. Strength: +10
+ 4. Endurance: +10
+ 5. 2 x normal carrying capacity.

I'm not sure if you rolled heightened Strength A or B for your strength power in the armor.  But assuming the least Heightened STR A you could have rolled potentially a 20 on 2d10.  So.. if Dsummer is willing perhaps he'll with those 'redesign' characteristic INT save rolls made by our characters upgrade your strength closer to that maximum 20 rather than the flat half max score of 10?  Maybe roll another 1d10 to a maximum of +10.  He may charge us an invention point to do so though.

I want to do a similar thing for Thunderbolt as he Armor B has only 48!  Meaning when Dsummer rolled randomly I got darn near the minimum an 18 on a d100 roll!  I'd like to at least have a base 30 on my d100 roll to make Thunderbolt's armor power a ADR 60 with a SR of 6.  So I'd also like to 'redesign' his metal mesh armor for a little more protection... within the range of possible protection he could have gotten anyways.. when his maximum armor possible is ADR 130 armor with a SR of 13!

What Shawn wanted to suggest for Diesel were two things.. First expand upon his Flame power {Device} to get limited flight... say charges of unsustainable flight.. basically jump jets of steam or fire, for now.
Second going along with those capacitors I mentioned before a way to add the power Lightning control - limited to electrify boy for the suit to add a carrier electrical attack to diesel's hammer! Of course limited by charges.

I WAS thinking of suggesting we enhance Diesel's hammer by turning it into the barrel of an attachable railgun to his suit... something shoulder mounted... but basically that adding a 'GUN' to Diesel.. and Shawn was not really sure how Diesel would feel about that.. as the team is nervous enough with Thunderbolt's insistence to carry his sidearm and weapons!  The railgun would more of a magnetic accelerating needler weapon at best 4mm or so.

But not wanting to get into the TL;DR zone.. these are my ideas! Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2015 at 3:30pm by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #346 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks about the pic! I do still like it as well. I also like a pic posted recently over on one of the other pages. If I could get that Diesel 'skin' on it... hmmm.

Diesel is much more interested in the "up close and personal" enhancements, although the jumps jets do sound like a good idea. Diesel has 6.6 inventing points, so I think we can do some interesting stuff with that.

Diesel needs just a minor Strength boost (+2) to get him into the next CC category (from 1d12 to 2d8 damage).

As to his armor powers, I just picked them, I didn't roll them, so they are neither A nor B, they're all more like "Body Powers"

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #347 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Hey gents, I've been taking care of some family issues that have arisen, and just got back into town after being gone for a week. Once I get that straight, get back into the swing of things at work, and get caught up on some paying gaming material, I'll get in contact with each of you, beginning with Ranger and then T-bolt. Until then, feel free to continue to talk amongst yourselves.

YIM  
IP Logged

MegaSilver
Sidekick

Reply #348 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Awesome! Looking forward to it.

IP Logged

dsumner
Monitor

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #349 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
MegaSilver, quick question. You have any idea of what type of character you'd like to run?

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Topic Tools

>