Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING! (Read 35188 times)
Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING!
Jul 1st, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Pretty soon a new file should showis up on the FGU site. This one is a little different...

It is an experimental set of guidelines for paying with/against "Really Big" monsters, people, and stuff. No "Really Big Robots" or "Realy Big Spaceships" in this one - I felt that was very nicely covered by the Doomsday Robot in "Deathduel with the Destroyers".

The idea is that YOU GUYS can help wring out the rules. I have created a thread in te FGU forum to discuss issues and ideas here:
http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33

We'll see how this goes  Huh

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:41am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Re: ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING!
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:49am
Print Post  
I looked it over already... kicked the tires. Gave you my feedback. I'm okay with it. Any I could see a situation where it would helpful to have rule for the truly big and ungainly.

Kudos!

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
So where is the document?  Huh

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Yep.  I couldn't find it either  Sad

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:10am
Print Post  
The document has been posted as a "Resource" to the Fantasy Games Unlimited web site in the freebies section:
http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/page7.html

If you go there and do not see the document, press "F5" to refresh the page (I had to do that on both of my machines - running CHROME)

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I also noticed "Mall Madness" sneaked in there when I wasn't looking!?

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am
Print Post  
So far, the only things I don't like about the "Really Big Thing" rules are:

1) It should be noted that the information and rule guidelines presented in this work are not to be considered “Canonical” at this point as they are only in beta test

This is located on the intro page and should be removed.

2) I understand that many will not see the need for these rules, or will state that “Giant Monsters” do not belong in V&V since it is about “American Comic books”. In response I will point out the “Giant Monster” in the V&V rule book, as well as the fact that Godzilla and King Kong have both had their own comic books here in the U.S.

This is on page 3 and should also be removed.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I haven't had time to check out these guidelines yet, but even so I agree with Dispkay Name. Giant monsters are par for the course in the history of American comics.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
When the guidelines are out of beta, both of the above statements will be removed.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
One question for you, John:

What page is that image (of the RBT in the rules) on?  I seem to vaguely remember it, but I just looked and can't find anything.

Was it in the 1st Edition rules?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
"Revised Edition", page 31, bottom right corner.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:41am:
I also noticed "Mall Madness" sneaked in there when I wasn't looking!?

Yep, it's up now as well.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I'm curious why the Detect Danger score for Gorillasaurus isn't 30%, like other non-sentients -- and why he doesn't have -1 Reactions to Good and Evil, given his Ferocity: 14

Also, if Gorillasaurus is non-sentient, and only acts/defends as Level 4 as a result, I'm not certain how the character has Training: Endurance (as non-sentient creatures don't progress through levels to train).
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
What formula was used to calculate the Experience Points for Gorillasaurus? The standard rulebook guideline is [(Hit Points + Power Points) x Level x 2] but the total listed for this character is much lower than that score.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Will be fixed in Revision.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:20pm:
Will be fixed in Revision.

I didn't know whether the items I noticed while skimming through the document were mistakes or intentional RBT guidelines.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
His EXP value should be 275,646 (I mistyped it as 575,646 in the document). That is HP+Power. Since Animals don't have EXP levels I left the "x EXP Level x 2" portion of the equation off.So MAYBE that is a guideline, the other errors were just bad writing. They are fixed in the Rev 001 document already, but that will not be released for a while - I don't want Yad to have to do a new file and have James upload every 2 or 3 days.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:17pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:16pm:
His EXP value should be 275,646 (I mistyped it as 575,646 in the document). That is HP+Power. Since Animals don't have EXP levels I left the "x EXP Level x 2" portion of the equation off.So MAYBE that is a guideline, the other errors were just bad writing. They are fixed in the Rev 001 document already, but that will not be released for a while - I don't want Yad to have to do a new file and have James upload every 2 or 3 days.

If the creature is non-sentient and therefore defaults to Level 4, the revised rulebook guidelines would suggest multiplying (Hits + Power) by a total of 8 when calculating XP.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:32pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm:
If the creature is non-sentient and therefore defaults to Level 4, the revised rulebook guidelines would suggest multiplying (Hits + Power) by a total of 8.

That may be subject to debate. Do animals have any Experience level at all? They do fight as if they were level 4, but they cannot earn any experience. In fact, no non-sentient animal I have found in any of my V&V books has an EXP LEVEL at all. So... it could be "N/A", which I would read as zero for math purposes. It could be "1", or it could even be "4". Is a small dog worth Zero experience, 48 pts, 96 pts, or 384 pts?

Although this is not a point I thought I would be discussing, I'm glad it came up, as it needs to be addressed.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:55pm:
That may be subject to debate. Do animals have any Experience level at all? They do fight as if they were level 4, but they cannot earn any experience. In fact, no non-sentient animal I have found in any of my V&V books has an EXP LEVEL at all. So... it could be "N/A", which I would read as zero for math purposes. It could be "1", or it could even be "4". Is a small dog worth Zero experience, 48 pts, 96 pts, or 384 pts?

Although this is not a point I thought I would be discussing, I'm glad it came up, as it needs to be addressed.

In the revised rules, the section on animals says that non-sentient creatures fight as Level 4, and your character sheet reiterates that point by saying under the asterisk that the creature acts as Level 4. So from the game mechanics the character is Level 4.

If animal stats in the published books don't list levels it's because they act as Level 4, as already covered in the rules.

The power Illusions states that Solid Energy Illusions, which have Hits (but no Power Points), fight at Level 4 and are worth 8 XP for every Hit Point they have. This is consistent with the formula of multiplying (Hits + Power) x Level x 2.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:31am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I do not disagree that non-sentients fight at level 4, I only question whether r not it applies to experience calculation. By the logic above, a small dog is worth 384 experience points; just over half the exp value of "Mirage" from Most Wanted Vol. 1 and three times the experience value of "Temper" from Crisis at Crusader Citadel. I am not saying anyone is wrong or right, I am just adding some perspective.

I can see (HP+PWR)*2 also being viable as non-sentients simply do not have an experience level. They also don't have an Intelligence Characteristic, but the Hit Point Modifier for non-sentient is "1" and not "0", so perhaps the default non-sentient level for experience value calculation should be "1" as well. This logic would make our small dog worth 96 exp (again, this is almost "Temper's" exp vale of 126).

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:36am:
I do not disagree that non-sentients fight at level 4, I only question whether r not it applies to experience calculation.

Level clearly does apply to XP calculation with regards to Solid Energy Illusions which do not earn Experience Points and only default to Level 4. The rules don't suggest any reason not to use the same guidelines for other non-sentient beings when calculating XP.

Your point about the small dog is well taken, but any alternate system for calculating XP you might suggest would be a house rule, not the rulebook guideline.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:42am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Here's some supporting data: The revised rules note the following under the power description for Animated Servants: "All animated servants fight at 4th level of experience, but cannot accumulate experience points."

In other words, regardless of their intelligence, Animated Servants are like non-sentient creatures or solid energy illusions, simply acting at Level 4 even though they do not gain Experience Points.

In the classic era adventure The Great Iridium Con, the villain Malestra has an Animated Servant (a demon). That demon's character sheet stats him as Level 4 (following the rulebook guidelines for Animated Servants), and in the back of the adventure the XP for the demon is calculated using the same formula that is used to calculate XP for character's who are Level 4.

Since Solid Energy Illusions earn no XP, default to Level 4, and are worth XP as though they are Level 4 ... and since Animated Servants earn no XP, default to Level 4, and are worth XP as though they are Level 4 ... animals/creatures who earn no XP, default to Level 4, would in turn be worth XP as though they are Level 4.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:34am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Or, they may be worth no points at all... 

Understand, I do follow what you are saying here, and I do appreciate the supporting data. I just think it seems odd that if I capture 24 Chihuahuas and take them to the local pound, I'll go from level 1 to level 4. On the other hand, I can use my weather control powers to stop a hurricane from destroying Savannah, and get zero experience. We don't get experience for averting disaster. Actually, our characters are only supposed to gain experience for capturing a villain and taking them to the authorities. Dogs, Hurricanes, and Gorillasaurus are not villains - they are neither good nor evil. This begs the question - Should my character get any exp points at all for capturing those 24 chihuahuas? I don't gain exp for disarming a bomb or finding the impressive artifact even if they are part of an adventure. And is a plague of chihuahuas any less horrible than one big mutated ape?

Animated Solid Illusions are an interesting case - they are always controlled by an entity with an intelligence who is either good or evil, and are thus bound to an intelligence. Malestra's Demon is actually sentient, so he's also a slightly different case, and he is also controlled by an intelligence.

For those RBT's that are actually Animated Servants, Animated Solid Illusions, or even pets- I am with you 100%. Sentient RBT's - again, no question as to how they should be handled. As for non-sentient, non-pet/servant/illusion critters, I am open to input, and I'll sit back and let it pile up a bit. I'm not going to get too wrapped around the axle on this one topic. Not when there are sentient neutral characters out there as well as characters with a dozen powers. I'll read ya'lls' posts and move the best way I can to address concerns. I will also post a "Gorillasaurus" errata sheet later (probably without an EXP value).

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:16am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:10am:
Dogs, Hurricanes, and Gorillasaurus are not villains - they are neither good nor evil. Animated Solid Illusions are also an interesting case - they are always controlled by an entity with an intelligence who is either good or evil, and are thus bound to an intelligence. Malestra's Demon is actually sentient, so he's also a slightly different case, and he is also controlled by an intelligence.

Gorillasaurus isn't evil? Your character sheet says Side: Evil
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:18am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #25 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Errata sheet.
I was surprised you missed that on the first go around. How can a non-sentient creature be good or evil?

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:23am:
Errata sheet.
I was surprised you missed that on the first go around. How can a non-sentient creature be good or evil?

I didn't miss it. I assumed you were taking editorial liberty and giving you the benefit of the doubt. Other authors have done as much, for example having a character with Intelligence act as a Neutral; so there would be a precedent to allow a non-sentient to act as Good or Evil.

Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:10am:
Animated Solid Illusions are an interesting case - they are always controlled by an entity with an intelligence who is either good or evil, and are thus bound to an intelligence. Malestra's Demon is actually sentient, so he's also a slightly different case, and he is also controlled by an intelligence.

The consistent point is that opponents that act as Level 4 are worth XP as though they are Level 4.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:34am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Based on this discussion, I have a profound new respect for dog catchers...

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #28 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am:
So far, the only things I don't like about the "Really Big Thing" rules are:

1) It should be noted that the information and rule guidelines presented in this work are not to be considered “Canonical” at this point as they are only in beta test

This is located on the intro page and should be removed.

But it is in beta test...

Display Name wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am:
2) I understand that many will not see the need for these rules, or will state that “Giant Monsters” do not belong in V&V since it is about “American Comic books”. In response I will point out the “Giant Monster” in the V&V rule book, as well as the fact that Godzilla and King Kong have both had their own comic books here in the U.S.

This is on page 3 and should also be removed.

I have been told that "Mecha" has no place in V&V because V&V is about American Comic Books, and American comic books do not have mecha. In an attempt to avoid such comments regarding Giant Monsters (who commonly populate Asian comics, Amine, and rubber-suit monster movies) I added this to the beta-test freebie.

When it's not beta test anymore, the word "Experimental" will be removed from the cover, and the two comments above will be removed.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Giant monsters certainly populate so-called American comics. The Justice League of America formed fighting Starro, and the cover of Fantasic Four #1 features a now-iconic giant monster. The "new" X-Men first rescued the original team in fighting a living island. The first issue of the original series of Alpha Flight pitted the Canadian heroes against  the gigsntoc Tundra. I'm not sure why you would concern yourself with the views of someone under the misimpression these opponents have no place in V&V. The appearance of the giant machine in Death Duel says otherwise.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:04pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #30 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Agreed - I actually made a similar comment in the body of the document, even pointing out that there is a giant monster in VV2.

But Ironman, War Machine, Crimson Dynamo, the Manhunters, Sentinels, and the Doomsday Robot from DDD, H.A.R.M. units from "Mall Madness" (check it out, it's a beauty, eh!), CHESS Knights, and R.I.N.G., are all mecha - I still had to hear about how there is no mecha in V&V or American Comic Books. And that is why I went out of my way to state the obvious in this Experiment.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #31 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Although I can foresee arguments against this method of calculating the experience value of non-sentient RBT (and other critters), I don't think anyone will bring them up, so I'll add that to the rule just for clarification.

Experience value of Non-Sentient adversaries is derived as follows: (Hit points + Power)x8.

I don't think it is really necessary to "Apprehend" Gorilasaurus, or hand him over to the authorities.

Incidentally, Gorillasaurus is worth 2,205,624 exp points - enough to catapult a very lucky level 1 character straight to level 66 - that's a LOT of Chihuahuas.

[see attached pdf]
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:46pm by Ironnerd »  

GOSAUR_RevA.pdf ( 3 KB | 16 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:46pm:
Although I can foresee arguments against this method of calculating the experience value of non-sentient RBT (and other critters), I don't think anyone will bring them up, so I'll add that to the rule just for clarification.

Experience value of Non-Sentient adversaries is derived as follows: (Hit points + Power)x8.

I don't think it is really necessary to "Apprehend" Gorilasaurus, or hand him over to the authorities.

Incidentally, Gorillasaurus is worth 2,205,624 exp points - enough to catapult a very lucky level 1 character straight to level 66 - that's a LOT of Chihuahuas.

[see attached pdf]

All things considered, Gorillasaurus does have super powers too, making him a notch beyond an ordinary critter.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #33 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
LOL!!! A notch. Maybe two Smiley

While ya'll mull over the basics of my take on RBT's, I'll continue working on "Combiners" - a single RBT made up of several smaller sub-units. The intent is to include it with the next rev of the Freebie. It will also include guidance for handling crowds.

By the way, if you want to use existing counters in "Really Big Scale" print/copy them at 10%. By the time I am ready for the update, I figure I will have talked Yad into making up a few counters.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #34 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
When the guidelines are out of beta, both of the above statements will be removed.

Ironnerd wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:21am:
When it's not beta test anymore, the word "Experimental" will be removed from the cover, and the two comments above will be removed.[/font]

Cool!  And don't let anyone tell you that Mecha doesn't belong in V&V!  Just tell 'em "Display Name said 'ok'!"

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #35 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:52am
Print Post  
I agree that the "standard" is to treat them as 4th Level, but (OTOH), the rules are clear that only captured opponents (villains) that are turned into the authorities are what gain a character XP (other than donating $).

You could collect all the chihuahuas you want, but (as GM), I'd just laugh at you and calmly explain that they aren't "opponents" or "villains".

Now for RBTs, one can certainly make the argument that they're true adversaries (truly being "opponents") and now seems as good as any of a time to define exactly how much XP characters should get for them.

I've had to face such a thing before in my games.  Consider the Star-Devourer (from a published adventure, even if it was only from a magazine), as well as the giant tree creature from "In Broad Daylight" (from Monkey House).

I'd recommend doing something along the lines of 1/100th, if it is truly defeated (perhaps even somewhat defined, as getting a lucky KO in V&V should hardly count against something this massive).  Obviously it would be difficult to turn something this large over to the authorities (where would they put it?  On an island with all the other monsters? Cheesy)

BTW, I'm still waiting to hear what page of the 2E rules that giant mecha is from?  I've looked through both the 1E and 2E rulebooks and can't find it (but it does seem familiar; I just can't place where I've seen it!).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #36 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Gotta say I love your idea for size of counters.  Cool

I haven't got a chance to read through everything yet, but one thing you should really consider (which I'd recommend as a rule for ALL RBTs):

I think they should (generally) be immune to the standard "Paralysis Ray".  Perhaps even to Gravity Control and Transmutation as well.  The logic being that:

a) They're way too massive for these attacks to affect more than a tiny portion of their total area
b) It's way lame to have any single character take one of them out with a single hit.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:58am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #37 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 4:08am
Print Post  
I reckon ANYTHING can be used in and belong to V&V..... This is coming from a man who lives in Australia.... one of the weirdest places around Smiley

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #38 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:58am:
I haven't got a chance to read through everything yet, but one thing you should really consider (which I'd recommend as a rule for ALL RBTs):

I think they should (generally) be immune to the standard "Paralysis Ray".  Perhaps even to Gravity Control and Transmutation as well.  The logic being that:

a) They're way too massive for these attacks to affect more than a tiny portion of their total area
b) It's way lame to have any single character take one of them out with a single hit.

Good points. After I have more coffee, I'll ponder them a bit more. "Death Touch" would be lumped in there as well. Of course a character with Height Factor 5 could probably use these attacks successfully on a character with Height Factor 10.

I had some coffee, and a thought or two (really off the top of my head, so they may be odd):
  • Death Touch: Use the table for finding the "Range Multiplier", but swap attacker and defender (same as finding "% to Detect Hidden Multiplier").  Multiply the number of saving throws by this number (round to nearest whole number). So, HF 1 attacks a RBT with HF 10. Instead of two saving throws (one vs END, and one vs AGL), the RBT gets 20 saves (10 vs END, 10 vs AGL). If the result is an odd number drop one save from the lower of the two basic characteristics. The RBT still only needs to make 2 saves, but now he has a lot more opportunity to do so. When Larger attacks Smaller, the standard rue applies. Besides, if HF 10 attacks HF 1, and actually lands an HtH hit, the HF 1 character is likely jelly anyway.
  • Paralysis Ray: Multiply the PR cost by the % to detect Multiplier (as above). If the attacking character does not have sufficient POWER, the attack simply does nothing, but the attacking character will have to expend all of his power to learn that lesson.
  • Revivication: Same as above
  • Gravity Control: Similar to above but CUBE the % to Detect Multiplier (Weight Factor is Height Factor Cubed) to get the Power Cost.
  • Transmutation: No change - it does 2d8 damage per attack, meaning it changes up to 16 hp worth of monster into "other stuff" per attack, so it would take at least  17,226 hits to convert Gorilasarus to "Other Stuff". 8,613 to convert him half way.

Majestic wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:52am:
BTW, I'm still waiting to hear what page of the 2E rules that giant mecha is from?  I've looked through both the 1E and 2E rulebooks and can't find it (but it does seem familiar; I just can't place where I've seen it!).
It's in the FGU second edition, page 31, bottom right corner.

I only used the small dogs to make a point --- but what if there were a plague of Chihuahuas?
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:58am by Ironnerd »  

Modifiers.pdf ( 25 KB | 16 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #39 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I used some of the ideas above with a character in Enter the Gene Pool. It makes sense that certain powers might have limited effevt on targets og a signigicantly large scale.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #40 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
It seems as though you are talking about "Plant-Thing" there. I understand that his partial immunity to transmutation it's part of it's mutant power. It raises a question, but I am fine with the power as descried. What I would like to avoid is having every RBT have the same or similar statement in it's power description. The table (though I did try to avoid the tables) allows for a class of character to have the same special "invulerabiities". Also, Plant-Thing's partial immunity to Transmutation seems to assume that any attacking Player-Character would be normal human size. It is possible that a 30-foot-tall PC would attempt to turn Plant-Thing into so much Instant Hot Cocoa powder. With the above, a normal-sized character can't do a whole lot to a big character, but a fairly big thing can do some damage to a really big thing.

Actually Gorillasaurus started out with "Invunerability", but when held up to his massive hit points and healing rate - it really didn't do much of anything for him.

In studying the genre, it seems to me that Godzilla and Gamera (and all their associates) are not "Immune" to attacks from small things. Were they immune to the rockets, rays, and bullets, they would not expend the energy required to turn battle tanks and fighter planes to slag. It seems more "realistic" that these attacks are like us being bitten by gnats and mosquitoes - maybe even bee stings. One or two are not that bad, but take enough hits and you may be in trouble.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2013 at 11:13pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #41 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
We talked about this some today (at our Star Wars session, before we began play) and one of my players threw out Death Touch (before I'd seen or read your post on that, Yp!).  Good catch!

I don't know about your way of doing Death Touch.  Firstly, it's a lot of work/math to figure (more than I want to do at the table, to be honest).  And secondly, the more saves you give the defender means all the more chance of them losing all their Hit Points and being knocked unconscious! (remember, all they have to do is fail one roll).

Re: that picture on p. 31, I'd looked at it a couple of times, but didn't realize that was a giant critter.  But I think you're right; it does look sort of like a Godzilla-like monster (before I'd thought it was just a paranormal crouching on a rooftop).

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #42 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 11:12pm:
It seems as though you are talking about "Plant-Thing" there. I understand that his partial immunity to transmutation it's part of it's mutant power. It raises a question, but I am fine with the power as descried. What I would like to avoid is having every RBT have the same or similar statement in it's power description. The table (though I did try to avoid the tables) allows for a class of character to have the same special "invulerabiities". Also, Plant-Thing's partial immunity to Transmutation seems to assume that any attacking Player-Character would be normal human size. It is possible that a 30-foot-tall PC would attempt to turn Plant-Thing into so much Instant Hot Cocoa powder. With the above, a normal-sized character can't do a whole lot to a big character, but a fairly big thing can do some damage to a really big thing.

I alluded to Plant-Thing only to point out that some ideas similar to yours had crossed my mind when building the character -- not to say that Plant-Thing exactly matches your optional guidelines. For example, Plant-Thing's immunity to transmutation still holds even if the attacker is 30-feet tall; the resistance is based on the character's potentially permanent metamorphosis rather than the character's height.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:29am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #43 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:34am
Print Post  
I'm still not clear on what "table for finding the "Range Multiplier" you're meaning.  I thought at first you meant the Range Modification chart on p. 23 (of Revised 2E), but I don't think that's the one you mean.  Looking at Size Change, there doesn't seem to be a Range column or table.

[Late Edit: I hadn't seen that PDF you'd attached before; I'm thinking that's the chart you're referring to.]

One thing to keep in mind with V&V and RBTs is that - despite the massive amount of Hit Points - these beasts are still very vulnerable to regular attacks, if you choose not to give them Invulnerability.

Personally, I think you should make some "standard" rules that apply to all RBTs.

Immunity to those powers we talked about (the players should simply have to figure out some other way to take them out) would be one.

Secondly, I'd give them all Invulnerability, probably less than the standard 3d10.  My suggestion would be 1d10, but make it per hit, rather than per turn.

Otherwise, any hero can get lucky with any roll, and when the RBT rolls a 01-05% on their knockout chance, they go down.  Not to mention when somebody hits them with a much larger blast or blow (perhaps 15+ points), they're going to have a much larger chance of dropping.  That's just not what you typically see in comics, movies, or the like with these massive beasties.

What I've typically done is also make a ruling that they can't be knocked out with the standard KO rules, at least not until X amount of damage is done.

Otherwise, you end up with really anti-climactic battles, where the first attack by Hero A drops King Kong with his first attack, perhaps only hitting for 3 points of damage.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:36am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #44 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:56am
Print Post  
The original rules had some interesting guidelines regarding To-Hit bonuses among large characters. In that 1979 edition, characters with Size Change/Larger were from 2 - 10 times larger than average.

In that edition, the combat table used percentage dice instead of d20. Characters who were larger size gained +2.5 percent to hit per height factor.

HEIGHT FACTOR
1 = not applicable
2 = +5% to hit (or +2 on 1d20)
3 = +7.5% to hit
4 = +10% to hit (or +2 on 1d20)
5 = +12.5% to hit
6 = +15% to hit (or +3 on 1d20)
7 = +17.5% to hit
8 = +20% to hit (or +4 on 1d20)
9 = +22.5% to hit
10 = +25% to hit (or +5 on 1d20)

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #45 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:34am:
Personally, I think you should make some "standard" rules that apply to all RBTs.

Immunity to those powers we talked about (the players should simply have to figure out some other way to take them out) would be one.

Secondly, I'd give them all Invulnerability, probably less than the standard 3d10.  My suggestion would be 1d10, but make it per hit, rather than per turn.

Otherwise, any hero can get lucky with any roll, and when the RBT rolls a 01-05% on their knockout chance, they go down.  Not to mention when somebody hits them with a much larger blast or blow (perhaps 15+ points), they're going to have a much larger chance of dropping.  That's just not what you typically see in comics, movies, or the like with these massive beasties.

What I've typically done is also make a ruling that they can't be knocked out with the standard KO rules, at least not until X amount of damage is done.

Otherwise, you end up with really anti-climactic battles, where the first attack by Hero A drops King Kong with his first attack, perhaps only hitting for 3 points of damage.

I ran into this problem with the module - In Broad Daylight at a Con I ran the game in. The pre-gen characters were the Indestructibles from the module. Every turn they would be successful on the KO rules. So the Giant Villain would make it wake up roll (Yes I cheated) and then be KO again.

Finally I declared it defeated in a rather easy battle.

Next time I will use an alternate KO rule for it. "Whenever the Giant Character loses more that half it remaining Hit Points in a single phase, it is KO".

This will make the battle last a while but will not force the players to eliminate every single HP to win. Hopefully making it a single phase will reward players for working together and coordinating attacks.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:49am by The Cougar »  

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #46 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Majestic: The table is in the Free pdf. What you do is start with the attacker's Height Factor, then the Defender's Height Factor. Where they intersect you will find a number. Multiply the range between the two by that number, then use the "Total Effective Range" table on page 23, to get the To Hit modifier for range. This approximates the reality that it is easier to hit a big thing than a small thing.

Example: Mega-Goose has a Height Factor of 7, while Gorilasaurus has a Height Factor of 10. Mega-Goose launches an attack against Gorillasarus, and they are 40 inches apart, normally a -1 to hit modifier. We look at the table and see that the Multiplier for HF vs HF is 0.7 - making the modified range 28". Looking at the table on pg 23, we see that Mega-Goose's range modifier to hit is "0". When Gorillasaurus attacks Mega-Goose, the multiplier is 1.4. So the ACTUAL range is now 45 inches, but the modified range is 63 inches (45 x 1.4 = 63). The modifier for range for this attack is -2.

For "Normal Man" vs Mega-Goose we get the following: Normal Man HF=1, Mega Goose HF=7. Actual Range = 31 inches. When Normal Man attacks, the modified range is 31 x 0.14 = 4.4" (round to 4") changing the To Hit modifier for Range from -1 to 0. Mega-Goose attacking Normal Man at the same range has a modified range of  31 x 7 = 217" for a To Hit Modifier of -3.

I wouldn't think very many Vigilantes have Death Touch, but you do make a good point. The example RBT, "Gorillasaurus" would heal back nearly 16,000 HP in a day, meaning he would be back up and crushing stuff pretty quickly. Since Healing rate is directly related to Basic Hits, the bigger the RBT the faster more HP it recovers per day. Still - it seems like pretty easy way to rack up a bunch of EXP.

I think the other powers are pretty well covered - if the attacking character lacks the power to do the full effect upon an RBT, then the attack does nothing at all. I think this would work for Death Touch as well. Incidentally, Devices can only do rated damage unless the character can invent a way for to amplify the device's power.

Example: Death Guy vs Mega-Goose. Death Guy's HF is 1, Mega-Goose's HF is 7. Death Guy decides to use his "Death Touch". Normally the attack woul require 10/20 power points. Death Guy has plenty of power for this under normal circumstances (his Power is 65), but since Mega-Goose is 7 times larger than Death Guy, the attack will require at least 70 power (to eliminate Mega-Goose's HP) or 140 Power Points. Since Death Guy does not have enough power to perform the attack, he'll have to find another way... 

ALL:
I plan to revise the freebie so that all RBT's are similarly effected when it comes to certain powers. (Force Field may also be an issue).

The same table I mentioned above can be used to find multipliers for relative size when attempting to find hidden characters or the power cost of delivering certain attacks to RBT's, by swapping Attacking and Defending characers' HFs. But it turns out that it is used enough to warrant its own table - so I attached it as a PDF to the above post.

If King Kong were hit with 3 points of damage, there would be a 3% chance that he would be rendered unconscious. That's not "Damage per turn" or "Damage per Phase", it's "Damage per hit". I have never interpreted the "KO" rule to have the 5% auto-fail/succeed (it's not a save). We can either make the "Wake Up" roll easier, or make it harder to KO that RBT. So how bout this: Whenever a character takes damage to his Hit Points, there is a 1% chance per point of damage taken divided by the defenders height factor (rounded down) that the character will be rendered temporarily unconscious.

So, let's say King Kong has a height factor of 4ish (He's supposed to be about 25 feet tall), so that 3 points of damage (which I'm assuming went straight to his HP) is 3 divided by 4 for a total of a 0.75% (rounded to 0%) chance of being KO'd. If he had taken between 4 and 7 points of HP damage there would be a 1% chance of being KO'd.

I would like to keep the ability to KO an RBT since even Godzilla, Gamera (and I think the Cloverfield monster) have been temporarily KO'd during the movie/adventure/story
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013 at 3:03pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #47 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I just re-read a bit farther back.

In answer to Majestic's question about where would they keep such a RBT if captured.

V&V does not seem to have a shrink ray power as such.  I'd recomend having a variation of Shrinking with effect other (or Transformation > Shrinking > periodic reapplication).  There could be an entire miniature menangerie of these critters in the end Smiley

Just waiting to escape en masse  Grin

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #48 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I am thinking that just stopping the thing or driving it away might be enough. If you Incapacitate one, the Authorities are likely to come to you.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #49 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:10am
Print Post  
So, if you can't use Paralysis Ray on a RBT because it's too big... should a P-Ray have a greater effect on a RST (really small thing)?

Just asking.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #50 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 8:07am
Print Post  
The effect is the same, and there would be no power cost change going from larger to smaller. You can use paralysis ray on an RBT, it will just have a higher Power cost. It is, admittedly, a less-than-optimal solution, but it does simulate the relative "invulnerability" that RBT's have to these attacks.

Part of the logic behind this is that a smaller "thing" will normally have fewer HP. Smaller size = lower body weight = fewer basic hits = fewer total hit points. RBT's already have a HP advantage. If you also make it "easier" for a RBT to use a power to do harm to RST's then any hope for balance is gone. Unfortunately, the "To Hit" mods due to low agility and the modified range don't quite make up for all those hit points.

Of course, the entire idea of the Freebie is to get as many play testers to try it out as possible. When it's played at my table, I find a few small things. Reactions from Good and Evil were not an issue, since it was assumed that the Player-Characters would not side with the big monster that is wrecking up the place. When other issues come up at the table I can just quickly explain them and we move on. The trick, however, is having rules that anyone can follow without having to call the writer. An example is the conversation about what level a non-sentient character is.

With that in mind, I am trying to generate a set of guidelines for Really Big Characters that are 1) playable, 2) at least similar to the existing rules, 3) understandable by people who do not have access to the writer.

If the whole thing proves unworkable, I'm okay with that. I needed an excuse to get Yad to practice layouts anyway.

I had the feeling I was opening a can of worms with this, but wanted to give it a try anyway. So far this has proven to be "educational".
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:01pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #51 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
So far I think it's been a great discussion.

One thing to consider is Gravity Control.  As per the RAW, the "area" of the Gravity controller isn't really defined, so it's one I think should be specifically spelled out.  Otherwise, any Gravity Control character can likely easily lock down any beast, no matter how large (unless their augmented Strength is super high).

Ypsilante, when you get a chance, could you post all of the "basic rules" you've come up with that you think should apply to RBTs?  I know it's still a work in progress, but I'm working on the latest version of our Supplemental Rules, and some of this has inspired me to address some of these issues.  If they end up getting covered in this document (down the road), no need to duplicate them.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #52 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
OOhhh... Gravity Control... That is another one that needs have the PR multiplied by Defender's HF / Attacker HF (may not be less than "1").

I know it seems pretty "mathy", but you really only need to do the math once - unless your character has size change, or the RBT can change sizes.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #53 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 8:54am
Print Post  
OH GODS!!! Thank you Sooo MUCH!  I'm so using this!  My players after a 10-round grueling battle with the STAR DEVOURER finally managed to get a hit on it AND get it to fail one of its saving throws against Death Touch to down it... then "killed"/'Banished it back to its nether realms with Devitalization Ray... its power points are very low.  But the whole event left me feeling...less than satisfied.  These rules would have helped a lot!

As soon as I've finished running  a ... Certain Nazi filled adventure I'm testing... I'm so going to do a "Pacific Rim" style adventure where Doctor Apocalypse finds the 'Apocalypse Stone' on Easter Isle and unwittingly summons forth the Kaiju servitors of the Race of Other-dimensional god/demons who led him to his Gem Stone!  He has unwittingly let the 'weapons' of his imprisoned masters free to wreak Havoc and conquer in their name!  That cannot be allowed... "The EARTH BELONGS to APOCALYPSE!"  But even vast as his powers are...he must seek aid from self-styled 'heroes' to stop this Armageddon {he's certainly not going to risk himself overmuch!}.  Of course only he has the Giant Robot and Mecha Tech of sufficient power to fight these otherworldly conquerors... hehe... and OF COURSE... the Doctor is working an angle to take advantage of this... {Evil Grin!}   Wink

Think I'll call this Series of Episodes - "Deal With the Devil..."
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:57am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #54 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Whoa... you are quite welcome

Enjoy the NAZIs Smiley

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #55 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
That sounds awesome, Thunderbolt! (I always loved Doctor Apocalypse).  Cool

One of our most recent adventures ended up being called "Demon's Deal".

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

RETURN of the ATTACK of the REALLY BIG THING!
Reply #56 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
I have re-assembled the beta-test rules for Really big things, made a few corrections and added a few bit here and there.

Rather than make James re-post this to the FGU site, and have Yad rework the layout (he's pretty busy on my other projects right now), I figured I would post the revision here.

Thank-you all very much for the input. It was appreciated (and I look forward to more... maybe "brace myself" is the better term there).

Hope you approve.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:40am by Ironnerd »  

RBT_002.pdf ( 373 KB | 21 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #57 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
It *is* posted to FGU's site.

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #58 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Just got home from seeing Pacific Rim (and it's not a Polynesian Porn flick after all.....)  Grin

Was thinking about this pdf during the movie.  Cool!!!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #59 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 9:05pm:
It *is* posted to FGU's site.

That's the original version. The file attached to reply #56 is the revised version.

SuperWannabe wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 3:11am:
Just got home from seeing Pacific Rim (and it's not a Polynesian Porn flick after all.....)  Grin

Was thinking about this pdf during the movie.  Cool!!!

I am going to go see that today. No doubt I'll be thinking of the PDF as well.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013 at 5:53am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #60 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 5:51am:
That's the original version. The file attached to reply #56 is the revised version.

This is a pre-production.  Did you resubmit it?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #61 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Yes, it's pre-production. The file on the FGU site is also pre-production. That's why I had Yad put "Experimental" on the cover, and why the text states that is it not yet canon and is for play testing. I plan to resubmit a revised file in a few weeks when Yad has his other work finished.

I don't have access to enough play-testers to get the big bugs out of this set of rules, so I put it up as a freebie to get it out in the hands of players everywhere. Since I updated it, I posted the revision here since it seems as though everyone who downloaded the file is on this forum.

Also: "Pacific Rim" was quite entertaining - not "Amazing" but worth the price of a matinee.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2013 at 11:22am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

SuperWannabe
Teen Titan

Reply #62 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Agreed.  I got in on one of the Half Price Days for Pacific Rim.  Giant Robots Vs Giant Monsters..... can't go wrong half price.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #63 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 7:47am
Print Post  
While watching it, I found my self doing two things:

1) Accurately predicting upcoming events (although I was surprised by Ron Perlman)
2) Thinking of the RBT rules and checking off the stuff in the movie that the game already covers

Just on a lark, I added a "Really Big Robot". It's inspired by certain robots in Pacific Rim. It may be totally out there, but it was fun to put together. Unfortunately, I don't have "Deathduel with the Destroyers" in front of me right now. I may make some changes once I re-read that adventure.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:07pm by Ironnerd »  

Nomad_Peril.pdf ( 154 KB | 19 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #64 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I'm on vacation right now, so I don't have full access to all of my files, but I re-read this thread, and I think I can do a few more very minor refinements to the guideline to make it a bit smoother. Like stating that there is a 1% per full HF of damage taken that a RBT will be KO'd.

I'll clean it all up, and probably post a new version of the same rule here in a week or so. Then once Yad is caught up on art I'll have him re-layout the guidelines and put the latest rev up on the FGU site for "peer review". What happens beyond that is up to the powers-that-be. OF course, you cats can always avail yourselves of anything I post up here, or as a freebie on the FGU site.

I also wanted to thank all you'se guys for the input. I really look at you as a tremendous asset in writing for the system. I think I have something workable here, even if it is a bit clunky. I could create something a bit smoother, but that would require re-writing parts of the core rules, and I REALLY do not want to do that. Still I do not figure that RBT's will be very common, so a little clunkiness may be acceptable for something that is not used in very many campaigns.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #65 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
It's interesting, but somebody over on RPG.net just asked the question about what supers game was best for supers vs. monsters.

Just thought it was interesting, given the timing of this.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #66 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Did you refer them to this thread?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #67 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Probably someone who recently watched "Pacific Rim".
One strength of V&V is that it is not as "Complete" as many other games. Most games tell you exactly what you can and cannot do, while V&V [apparently] recognizes the wide-open nature of the super hero genre, and is itself pretty wide open.

I have read a bunch of games and have not found one yet that does giants as easily as V&V. I know there have been a couple of dedicated Kaiju Games, but I never got my hands on them. I don't know if they worked well with both "normal" and "Kaiju" scale characters. I know R Talsorian's "Mekton" can handle normal-scale and gigantic-scale, but it is a "Mecha" game at it heart, and the combat system can be frustrating (this is partially addressed in some expansions). Big Eyes, Small Mouth also does normal to huge. It's better than V&V in some ways, not as good in others - and also has hints of V&V throughout. It's also out of print (and 3rd edition is kinda "meh").

I was actually very surprised at how easy it was to create Kaiju (and Jaegers) using V&V - Big starships are also pretty easy to do. I have not yet tried a planet-sized character/mecha though. Actually, I have no desire to do a "Death Star", as it's just a planet with a big gun stuck to it and the ability to move - not all that hard to approximate in the V&V system.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #68 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:59pm:
Did you refer them to this thread?

I didn't.  V&V hasn't even been mentioned yet, as it seems there are quite a few more popular supers systems out there right now.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #69 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I had this thought or so occur to me about RBTs:

Player 1 has Animal Control/Mind Control/Emotion Control/Telepathy.  How do these various powers interact with RBTs?

A group of players attempt to combine their Animal Control powers to seize control of a RBT.  How would this work?

A group of players attempt to combine their Emotion Control, Mind Control, and Animal Control powers (respectively).  How would *this* work?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #70 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
See - this is exactly why I posted this on the freebies as a play-test experiment. It's also somewhere between a "House Rule" and and official "V&V rule". Today, it is still closer to a house rule, but I digress.

The short answer is... I don't know! Roll Eyes

I shall have to re-read my V&V library an see what is in the legacy works. There are a couple of questions to answer:

1: How do characters combine such powers?
2: How specific would the powers have to be? Gorillasaurus is unique in that he is a reptilian-simian mutation, but Mega-rat may just be a rat, and Hyper-gator might just be a big alligator, meaning they might be controlled.

Let me do some reading and pondering.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #71 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
You can introduce "combined powers" to V&V.  I saw this concept in the Immortal Rules for Dungeons and Dragons (player's guide, page 6):

"Ability scores of cooperating Immortals may be added together for purposes of making a check. What one Immortal may find almost impossible, two or three may consider easy when working together"

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #72 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:41pm:
You can introduce "combined powers" to V&V.  I saw this concept in the Immortal Rules for Dungeons and Dragons (player's guide, page 6):

"Ability scores of cooperating Immortals may be added together for purposes of making a check. What one Immortal may find almost impossible, two or three may consider easy when working together"

Yes... I can, but I won't.
I really think this is one of those times when I must pass the burden to the GM. A character can still control twice as many HP of flora or fauna as his own HP. So if you can get a BUNCH of people together with "Avian" control, they may be able to control Mega-Goose. It's up to the GM whether they can control an RBT that is part plant, part rat, or lizard/mammal, or whatever combination.

There may or may not be a roll involved to control said critter - depends on whether or not is is under the control of some other entity.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #73 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm:
Yes... I can, but I won't.

Considering that you're introducing a new type of opponent that *requires* teamwork, I would think that it would be perfectly reasonable for you to at least make some suggestions on how to combine powers.  In fact, I think it's unreasonable for you not to.

combined.JPG ( 72 KB | 6 Downloads )
combined.JPG
combined3.JPG ( 102 KB | 8 Downloads )
combined3.JPG

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #74 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
The heart of the issue is that I cannot anticipate every possibility. Not only is it impossible to predict every combination of creatures that might make up a particular RBT it i snot possible for me to anticipate every combination and variation of Animal/Plant control a given group of characters may have. For that matter, I cant predict the other powers or weaknesses a given character with Animal/Plant Control may have, or what their effects may be.

Part of the problem is actually demonstrated in the image you posted. How does Professor X tap into Magneto's mind to power his own mental abilities? It seems to be some type of absorption that adds to his mental powers, and there really is no way I or really any game writer can anticipate this power combination.

That's why a great GM is vital for good V&V gaming.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #75 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Power stunts from inventing points can do this.   And if its two people, they can use half of a point from one, half from the other ( or other fractions if its more than two...).   

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #76 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:52pm:
Power stunts from inventing points can do this.   And if its two people, they can use half of a point from one, half from the other ( or other fractions if its more than two...).

This might simply be an addition/modification to the modifiers table presented earlier:
http://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.com/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=...

It sounds workable to create a foundation, at least.  Dude, you have unleashed RBTs on the V&V universe!  We need to know how to stop them!   Cheesy

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #77 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I have had a Kaiju ( is that how you spell it?) attack my players every once in a while.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #78 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 7:26am
Print Post  
John - you spelled it correctly  Cheesy

Once in a while it's fun to run an adventure the heroes can't actually "win" (but use sparingly).

Display Name - It's not always about stopping an RBT. Sometimes its about surviving. How do you stop a tornado or hurricane or earthquake? Sometimes all you get out of the adventure is some charisma points for saving people who are in the path of the unstoppable monster, and for helping rescue and clean-up after the RBT has past. Sometimes all the character will get is "bonus experience" only. Sometimes an RBT it's just a break from chasing-fighting-capturing bad guys.

Were I to write a specific RBT adventure, I would put a bit more detail into it. Give him some weaknesses, explain in some detail the best ways of stopping the creature, or maybe gave some "mad scientist" create a device that can destroy the RBT in one shot, but with grave consequences. But for a general rule, the details must be left open.

I don't think the multiplier tables are needed here. This is simply Animal/Plant control where a character can control up to twice his HP in critter/plant HP (unless it is a device). If you and your friends with A/P control have enough HP to control the critter, and the GM allows you to combine powers (assuming that the RBT's base animal is actually the animal controlled by all of the characters involved), then its not that hard to see this method working. What are the odds that two or more characters in one party will all have "Animal Control: Apes"?

The multipliers are more to adjust effective range, modify rolls to detect hidden RBT's (or things hiding from RBT's), and to address the special issues associated with Death Touch, Paralysis Ray, Gravity Control, and Revivication.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:58am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #79 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Cool!  So will you release this adventure with the ruleset?  Maybe a "sample mini-adventure" kind of thing?  Or are you doing a full-scale adventure?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #80 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
...Something like that...

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #81 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Just to let ya'll know, the Freebie "Attack of the Really Big Thing" has been removed from the FGU site.
Thanks to the help I received from you'se guys, I am confident enough in the guidelines to include them in a couple of adventures (already in work). Also, due to input from you'se guys the current guidelines are not well-represented by the file that was on the FGU page.

Thank-you all very much for your input, I really appreciate the help.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:17am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #82 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:16am:
Just to let ya'll know, the Freebie "Attack of the Really Big Thing" has been removed from the FGU site.
Thanks to the help I received from you'se guys, I am confident enough in the guidelines to include them in a couple of adventures (already in work). Also, due to input from you'se guys the current guidelines are not well-represented by the file that was on the FGU page.

Thank-you all very much for your input, I really appreciate the help.  Smiley

Bumpdates requested!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #83 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
So, I admit to totally over-complicating this. The rules are really mostly there in the V&V core rules, you just need to extend the size/wt table and add some powers to address the horrid AGL penalties for a big critter/mecha. But I do thank y'all for looking at the experiment. It was also very nice of Scott to indulge me a little.

For my next trick, I'll see what I can do with the rules as they are. Maybe I'll post a plus-sized-critter/character here for "Peer Review" Smiley I mean... How would ya'll do Galactus?

Machines (star ships, giant piloted robots, etc...) are actually much easier than big critters, since they can just be made up ('cause it's a comic book game).  Big critters have to follow some rules. If I had some more players around here, I could test stuff a lot faster... [violin music].

Still pondering Super Sentai teams (multiple entities that combine into a single big entity more powerful than the sum of its parts).
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2014 at 3:54pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #84 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I think the huge Agility minus is the biggest problem (from my view).

In the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game, they have large-scale menaces, but they don't suffer any corresponding lack of ability to take actions (lack of Agility).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #85 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Didn't we discuss Mutant/Body power, No negative agility modifier at some point?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #86 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 6:28pm:
I think the huge Agility minus is the biggest problem (from my view).

I agree.  Keep reading... Smiley

Hammer wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 11:54pm:
Didn't we discuss Mutant/Body power, No negative agility modifier at some point?

Yes we did. For some RBT's this is "okay". But for others "Body Power", "Mutant Power", maybe "Gravity Control", "Flight", or "TK"  - or even "Heightened Agility". So if I do create something with a "Really Big Thing" in it, I'll have to address the AGL issue in a way that fits the "thing", as well as address “Death Touch”, “Gravity Control”, “Paralysis Ray”, and “Revivication”.

The AGL issue also comes up with things like Ranged and Muscle-powered weapons. Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns (LOL! just pictured Godzilla with a Remington 12 ga), Bows, Boomerangs, and thrown melee weapons all use AGL as the basis for their range. Granted, all attack ranges are multiplied by the Height Factor, but if your creature has an AGL of "0", the total range for any AGL-based attack is nothin'. So a means to address this is definitely required.   

Attack damage scales "Area of Effect" - think Godzilla's "Flame Breath" or how many people he can mash with a single smack.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #87 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:17am
Print Post  
A Question...

What about attacking like.. a Destroyer Naval vessel or say and aircraft Carrier?  There are non-mecha 'giant-robot' vehicles that are RBT's...

Do you just figure out discrete components on the vehicle to destroy.. Palladium ROBOTECH style.. or does it get really big modifiers to be easily hit and weight multipliers to increase its weight an thus hit points {Vehicles have 1 hit point per 50lbs of weight; 8.6 Vehicles}.

{Examples:}
“Von Stengle”:
– Airship ‘Arcano-Steamtech’ = WT: 25,000lbs, Pass: 100, Cargo CAP: 21,000, Speed: 160mph,
Hit Points:  125di/500de
Decks {1”}: SR5;  Hull {6”}: SR15/cu ft
4x Pylons: SR=15/per 1’ft
4x Drive Pods: ‘prop’ 5di/10de, ‘engine’ 10di/20de ‘-20mph’
4x Lift Rotor: 15di/30de
* Uhrwerken Control = 1,000lbs {FF 75pts} 10di//20de; 
* Lift Control = 6,000lbs, 40di/120de {ADR60}–Ship steel SR15{11 off}
* Boiler = 5 tons, 50di/200de {ADR 75}
* Cloaking Device = Radar, EM Detection, Audio & Visual
* Coal Bin = 2 Tons
- Conversion Cannon = 1mile, 45^deg arc, +15 to hit, (per “medium nuclear bomb") Dam rad ˝ mile, 2d100 dam; 4,000lbs, 20di/80de
- 4x Lightning Cannon = 150”, 180^deg arc, Dam 1d20 {As Lightning Control}

The Flying Dutchess:
- prototype “Power-Sail” Yacht = Wt: 16,000lbs, Pass: 1+6, Cargo CAP: 8,000lbs, Speed: 120mph {Air} / 20 {water}
Hit Points:  80di/320de
- 2x Vibratory Cannon = 60”, turret, 2d8 dam per cannon (both may be fi red at same time), 10% chance that a special attack to do so will destroy target completely.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 8:46am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #88 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
My thinking was that the ships are kind of like buildings (and you left out the ships from "Department 88", for shame). They have reached a size where you don't damage the whole thing, you damage parts. V&V is not a rigid system, so anything like this requires GMery. I looked at the legacy data from DNAgents, Death Duel with the Destroyers, Battle Above the Earth and others I can't remember off the top of my head. From the Deeps of Space used a die roll system to allocate damage.
I didn't want things to be like Battletech where you roll to hit, roll damage, roll to see where the damage went, then roll to see the effect of the damage. That's great for Battletech, but dreadful for V&V.
It also has to do with the "spirit" of the ship. The "Dutchess" really is more of a "vehicle" for Marie and her crew - an expensive, Italian vehicle... The "Von Stengle", however, is more of a location where a good chunk of adventuring takes place. It may move, but it's still really a "Location" - like a floating dungeon. If you wanted to, you could add up all the hit points and structural points for the entire ship, and battle it as a "Vehicle".
Really big Critters, of course, work mostly like normal-sized critters. Even a really big Robot (not piloted or remotely controlled) could be treated like a critter with "Robotic Body". Once you put a crew in the machine, however, it functions more like a location.

For your Aircraft Carrier, well... would you really have to destroy all of it's Hits to disable? Or would a few big holes do the job? Or setting off the ammo magazine? Or destroying the engine/reactor?

Thankfully, I have avoided making any real sense here, but that's okay.
V&V lacks a lot of the rigidity of newer systems, which means it works better for Comic Book Role Play (because comics are pretty out there). I have struggled with trying to pin things down too much in this system, it works better if you just relax and enjoy.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 6:48pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #89 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Ah. ok... the reason for this question is for theme.. take for example STAR TREK.  The Enterprise is arguably a location AND a vehicle.  The Question becomes one of scale... it make sense that a man-sized target can't do as much damage to the 'location' "Enterprise" damaging specific components of the location "Enterprise"... but another starship... say the "Excelsior" should be able to damage the 'Vehicle' Enterprise and not just specific components.

How would you suggest adjudicating this situation?

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #90 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 7:24am
Print Post  
I would go with the guidelines from "From the Deeps of Space" where a die roll is used to specify a hit location. Of course, you could just go with total wt/50 = Hits to Destroy and HtoD/4= Hits to disable.

You mentioned the USS Enterprise, that's not a bad place to start. NCC-1701 was/will be about 300 ft long (or 60"). you would need a 5 foot-long table just for the Enterprise's counter. Obviously, we would want to change scales a bit for Ship to Ship combat. So if we make the Enterprise counter about 2" long, then one inch equals 150 feet - and all the game measurements would have to change as well. At that scale we can't even see "Captain Impressive" or even "Large Lass" - but I digress. At this scale, simply using the ships' HtDest, and HtDis could work just fine. As a GM running such a game, I would be really tempted to write down a few damage thresholds. At say 50% HtDis, there is a chance of Crew Loss, or Warp Core failure, or Phaser failure - just to make it a bit more interesting. As is mentioned in the V&V Revised Rules, you can usually take a vehicle out of action without totally destroying it.

If you wanna go really nuts... ponder "Living Ships". Now that would be interesting.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #91 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Yeah, thanks for the advice... I'm actually just about to run "From the Deeps of Space" for my New Guardians party... so I was looking for a little more advice on how to handle character to ship and ship to ship space battles.

Though you have made me wonder... if anyone has ever fully deck-planned out the Enterprise?  A five foot multi-layered map of its decks would be totally awesome for a game! lol!
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2014 at 8:51am by Thunderbolt »  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #92 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
The Enterprise? NCC 1707?

Look Here: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/enterprise-deck-plans.php

It's not measured, but with a little wokr, you'll be able to use it for V&V.

Enjoy.

And Star Trek has been featured in several Comic Books (and Manga) - so it's totally V&V fodder Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(comics)

Now get out there and go all Captain Kirk on some aliens.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

Reply #93 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
COOL!  Thx! Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #94 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 9:11am
Print Post  
I was asked by a member here why I was refusing to release "Attack of the Really Big Thing". As it turns out, I was not really happy with the way it turned out. But now I figure, "what the heck". Since he asked, I'll post it so any interested party can read/use/criticize/destroy as they see fit.

This is a text-only version - the version with art is too large to post here.
This is also a revised version and includes some stuff I learned from the critiques I received here.
Be advised, it is still a draft - there are some typos and spelling errors in there.

I can post the original (text-only) version also if you all so request.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2015 at 9:24am by Ironnerd »  

RBT_002.docx ( 37 KB | 17 Downloads )

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #95 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Yay!  Thanks!

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #96 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I think there's real genius in the RBT rules. They might be covered somewhat in the original rules with some degree of work, but that is the beauty of them. In being an excellent advanced set of rules, even if anyone else might want to tweak them, they provide a very informative addition to a GMs arsenal, and allow for two GMs who don't know each other to have a point of reference and agreement on something they might see very differently otherwise. Unsolicited $.02  Smiley

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #97 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:56pm:
Yay!  Thanks!

No problem. Sorry for all the colors, it's how I do rough work.
The existing rules for size change have the topic kinda covered, it's one of those times it's hinted at but not explicit. What i added just seemed as logical as possible while staying in the spirit of the rules.

I don't mind feedback, so feel free to find errors in the guidelines (not rules, just some guidelines).

Enjoy.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #98 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I'm digging some of the rules ideas.  I particularly like the increased PR requirement for certain attacks, as well as the "ganging up" bit. 
We're just about to start a campaign, and one of the adventures I have is the appearance of "Gordonzilla" and hapless scientist irradiated into a giant shark like Kaiju. 
His low Agility gives HUGE negatives to hit, even after offsetting them with Natural Weaponry.  I'm planning on a house rule that size change grants a bonus to hit, on Hand to Hand only, equal to the Height Factor.  It's harder to dodge a ten foot wide fist.  Just ask Mister Fantastic.  (There won't be a size penalty for size change smaller).

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #99 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Yay, Phrennzy!  I'm glad you got them in time!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #100 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Giving a bonus equal to the Height Factor is actually quite brilliant!  It's so simple and elegant.  Nicely done!  Cool

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #101 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Thank-you, guys. I appreciate the high praise.

But the thanks go to Display Name for making me post it Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:08pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #102 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 4:25pm:
Giving a bonus equal to the Height Factor is actually quite brilliant!  It's so simple and elegant.  Nicely done!  Cool

That is very high praise coming from you.  Thanks very much!

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #103 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 1:47pm:

We're just about to start a campaign, and one of the adventures I have is the appearance of "Gordonzilla" and hapless scientist irradiated into a giant shark like Kaiju. 

Please, Phrennzy! Tell me you have ART for this!!!   Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:47am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #104 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:47am:
Please, Phrennzy! Tell me you have ART for this!!!   Cheesy Cheesy

Of course.  God bless the artists around the world for putting their work online.  This picture is easily worth my 1000 words.

"Don't hurt him, he's my husband!" Gordon's wife cries from the streets below as the heroes engage.  Can they find a way to stop such a behemoth?  Will Gordon's co-worker be of assistance?  Or will Gordonzilla need to be slain to be stopped?

Gordonzilla.jpg ( 71 KB | 8 Downloads )
Gordonzilla.jpg

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #105 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
For anyone who cares, here's his character sheet.
While the hit points may seem low for other campaigns, the average hit points in this campaign is mid 20's.  The last thing I want is 100,000 being shot by a 1d20 power blast.  I don't want to play out 5,000+ turns. 

I also don't want it to just be a slug fest.  I don't think they can hang with too many hits from Doc G.  Using their heads and searching for the source of the problem should bring it to a peaceful end. 

Gordonzilla.txt ( 3 KB | 14 Downloads )

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #106 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I LOVE IT!!!!
Cheesy Cheesy

You are correct about actually fighting Gordonzilla. As a devote of Kaiju flicks, sometimes the only thing the heroes can do is minimize the damage until the monster wears himself out and moves along. And sometimes it's all about finding the monster's Achilles's heel, managing to exploit it. Only characters like Ultraman (or Gypsy Danger) go toe-to-toe with the beast.

I enjoyed the origin story. The ONLY divergent thought I had was that instead of his wife, his overbearing mother would be on hand to shout "Don't you hurt my little boy!"

Looks like he'll be a lot of fun.

Thank-you for posting  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 1:55pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #107 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
If it were his mother rather than his wife, it becomes comical, rather than desperately heart wrenching and humanizing.  How do you stop a monster without killing the good man inside?

With the mom route, it would be funny, she'd run around berating the heroes and swinging a rolling pin at them.  A goofy time, but there'll be enough goofiness fighting villains like "Mr. Roboto", "The Phone Ranger", "Mister Fister", and "Auntie Freeze".

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #108 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:31pm
Print Post  

Excellent point. I missed the darker overtones. Now that you have framed it for me, I agree - the wife is the way to go.

FYI The whole "Mister Fister" thing is both hilarious, and kinda disturbing.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 8:54pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Kanonfodder
Sidekick

Reply #109 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
So here is a prettier version for you guys.

rbt-lowresver2.pdf ( 1082 KB | 20 Downloads )

You can check out other stuff I do here http://yadartworks.com or here http://kanonfodder.deviantart.com
IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #110 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Prettier for sure.  Looks great!

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #111 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Kanonfodder wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 11:27am:

Thank you!

I noticed your commentary about negative hit modifiers of two Really Big Opponents.  What you suggested might be put in table form to account for Height Factor vs Height Factor?

If two opponents are in the same height category, then there are no modifications to the hit roll.  This is pretty normal anyway.  If one or both opponents are Size Changed, then the modifiers would be subject to their relative height factors or something.  It's kind of an expansion of Phrennzy's idea.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2015 at 9:03pm by Display Name »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #112 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:46pm:
Kanonfodder wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 11:27am:

Thank you!

I noticed your commentary about negative hit modifiers of two Really Big Opponents.  What you suggested might be put in table form to account for Height Factor vs Height Factor?

I think I have that somewhere! ... where the heck did I leave that stupid thumb drive...

Display Name wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:46pm:
If two opponents are in the same height category, then there are no modifications to the hit roll.  This is pretty normal anyway.  If one or both opponents are Size Changed, then the modifiers would be subject to their relative height factors or something.  It's kind of an expansion of Phrennzy's idea.

Ezzakly! You can compare Height Factors to get a to-hit modifier, and then "zero out" the resulting total to-hit mods to make BIG BATTLES run a little faster.

You end up adding some GM work, so RBT battles should not be done every adventure. Just once in a while to shake things up a little.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #113 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Display Name: I found it. Then I posted it on the wrong thread... but now it's here Smiley

Edited:
To explain what this file does

The first table is a multiplier for the Total Effective Range

The second table is a modifier for % to detect hidden - like if a normal sized character is trying to find giant monster is hiding behind a building, or a Giant Monster is attempting to find a normal-sized character in the woods  - or other similar scenarios.
Edited:
I just noticed that the file is not actually here  Tongue I'll upload it this evening... dunno how I managed that...
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2015 at 6:26am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

>